SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 VS NSX Your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-01, 04:34 PM
bangbang001
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm thinking about purchasing a nsx? Any comments positive or negative about the car, but I can't have both cars? My wife would have a fit. I know all of us are Lexus owners, but what do you think about this situation?
Thanks

95 SC-400 pearl white/tan
Old 07-20-01, 04:52 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I shouldn't answer this one,but having owned a mid engined car in one form or another for the last 17 years,I'm hooked.
It's all in the style of driving that you most appreciate;the straightline stability of a high quality car like the Lexus is unbeatable,but if you crave the gocart effect,being able to easily control a perfect rear wheel drift, the midengined car will do that.
I commute over 60 miles a day,so I parked the mid engined car,and bought the SC400.
I guess if my commute was less than 25-30 minutes,with not as much traffic congestion,that I'd still be traveling with the engine behind me.
Oh,getting in,and out is harder,especially with some weight on,in the gocart.
Old 07-20-01, 04:54 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Well if I had enough money to get an NSX, Id definatley use the money to pimp out my sc hardcore
Then again if its a newer nsx...........

I dont know quite a predicament your in :P
Old 07-20-01, 05:07 PM
bradrulz
Driver School Candidate

Default Go for the NSX...

Nothing beats the handling of the rear or mid engine cars. I traded a Porsche in on my 98' SC300 about a month ago and am kicking myself every day for it.

I think you will be very happy with the NSX. I think most people fail to realize that sports cars like the NSX and others can be just as luxurious as well as providing the sport punch.
Old 07-22-01, 06:59 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The NSX is a wet dream in every way except for one.

WHERES THE BEEF???????

Common, 270+hp? Drop a 2JZ in that baby sideways with an SP63 turbo! 550rwhp in a light rear engine go kart? Heck yeah....
Old 07-23-01, 12:22 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Question Are you serious??? It's a no brainer!!!

Go for the NSX, any year... The car is very reliable {remember it's a Honda, too} It has an Acura Legend based engine with the same history in terms on maintenence.

Just get one inspected by Acura to make sure it was not abused... Especially body/chasis damage... it is an aluminum car which can not be repaired by just any body shop... This is a $88,000 auto with the technology to match or even rival it's nearest competitors.

All the reports I've read stated the car is as easy to drive day to day as any other Honda/Acura. However, at the drop of the throttle it is a bonafide SUPER CAR!!!:eek:

I'll gladly give up my SC4 for and NSX!!! Sorry fellows...

The Ikon
Old 07-23-01, 08:04 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Are you serious??? It's a no brainer!!!

Originally posted by The Ikon
Go for the NSX, any year... The car is very reliable {remember it's a Honda, too} It has an Acura Legend based engine with the same history in terms on maintenence.

Just get one inspected by Acura to make sure it was not abused... Especially body/chasis damage... it is an aluminum car which can not be repaired by just any body shop... This is a $88,000 auto with the technology to match or even rival it's nearest competitors.

All the reports I've read stated the car is as easy to drive day to day as any other Honda/Acura. However, at the drop of the throttle it is a bonafide SUPER CAR!!!:eek:

I'll gladly give up my SC4 for and NSX!!! Sorry fellows...

The Ikon
In my opinion NSX is very over rated. I belive the car is like any other Honda, it's not anything interesting until you hit VTEC. These 270 bhp is rated at VTEC. So most of the time you drive it the car won't feel like it has 270 bhp. Also, I don't think 270 hp is anything to be cheering about or calling it supercar. When you modify the car for power you'll ruin the excellent handling of the car. Also, the price tag on the car is absurd. 88K for a Honda? Not worth it. Your car is better for street. It's higher and more packable. Also, I belive a Toyota Supra with an engine that the SC400 has went 6 or 7 sec in 1/4 mile. I belive your car has more capabilities for power than an NSX. NSX is known to be fairly bad at high speeds.

PS. Not all NSX years are reliabile, I belive at some point they had problems with the transmition.
Old 07-23-01, 11:23 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

DirectQL...

I have to disagree with 99% of what you said about the NSX. Obviously you have NOT driven an NSX of any year and have no true KNOWLEDGE of the NSX.:eek: If you had, I assure you the opinion you have of the NSX will change.

The car is fast thru out the power band, but really fast when gunned. Also 270 hp in a light weight highly engineered car is more than adequate to punish the competition.

Don't forget the Lotus Esprit of yore had only a 4 cyl and ran the 1/4 in 13.4... Porsche 911 has less than 300 hp... HP means nothing without the means to put it on the ground. The NSX is faster and/or just as fast as cars with substantially more hp on paper.

Super cars not only go fast in 1 direction, but HANDLES great in slalom, on those twistys, etc.. Check your FACTS the NSX handles and out handled the Ferrari 355, Lotus, Corvette, Viper in a head to head shoot out a few years ago... Plus in a top speed shoot out in Motor Trend the NSX was STABLE at top speed out around 165 plus mph and was critized for being to smooth for a "Super Car".... Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Plus the way the car is made... The ALL Aluminum frame, aluminum panels, the mid-engine layout, The design, the transmission, the Brakes/system, exhaust, the driver to car feel is WHAT a SUPER CAR is not just the 0 - 60...

It's the way a car PERFORMS in ALL categories!!! That's why the car is worth the reliable $88,000 and not the $150,000 service every few thousand miles other auto makers are charging for less technology that should be LESS for what you actually get.<Plus the NSX had this tech in 1990!!!:eek:>

As for a high dollar Honda... Don't forget we drive Toyotas... that range in price up to $70,000 that are not hand made with space aged aluminum frame work or the perf. to match... Japanese cars are the BEST on the road now and will be on the road for many reliable years to come... Can you say the same about Italian, German, British and dare I say American cars???

DRIVE one or at least research the automobile's history, make-up, performance, comparisons etc.. before blasting it.....

Make my NSX pearl in color with the sport roof...
Old 07-23-01, 06:38 PM
FurySC400
Rookie

There are certain factors to consider when choosing between the NSX and your SC.

There's cost. Used ones ('92s) with high miles are in the low to mid $30K. Later ones with low mileage are often in the $50-60K and upwards range. '97 and later manual models come with the 290HP 3.2 6-speed. Earlier models have the 270HP 3.0 5-speed. Either dollar amount is a big chunk of change for anyone to consider for a vehicle that will only move around 2 people with a minimal amount of storage space.

Stock, the NSX will outhandle and outrun the SC on the street and track. Do you plan on modding out either car? Sure, you can get gobs of power into your SC, but is that something you're willing to do? And at what costs?

Do you care about getting the attention? No one looks in my direction when I'm driving the SC. It's so much more different with the NSX. You can go on about how the car is "underpowered" at "only" 270+HP , but it still has a unique look to it, and people will look your way and ask you what is it? How much? How fast? etc.

An important part of understanding the NSX is realizing it's not all about straight line performance. If all you wanted to do was blast down a street as fast as you can for the cheapest amount of money, you can go buy yourself a Mustang, or an F-body, or even a 'Vette. Those are all fine automobiles for certain situations. The NSX has it's own place too. I've only begun to understand that after owning it for a couple of years.

I love my NSX. It's fast, more than fast enough for my needs (even though I plan on making it faster!) It's dang reliable. It handles better than anything I'll ever drive on a daily basis. And it's just *****ing awesome to look at.

If you're serious about learning more about the car AND owning the car, drop by sites like www.NSXPrime.com or www.NSXSC.com. The communities there are more than willing to help you and answer any questions.

Good luck on deciding.

P.S. BTW, get the NSX if at all possible. You won't regret it.

Last edited by FurySC400; 07-23-01 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-23-01, 09:45 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Are you FuryNSX on NSXPrime.com? If so, kick *** car! Nice in black and nice rims, too! The car looks perfect.

Brian
Old 07-23-01, 10:13 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fury...i get looks all the time in my SC. I even had a guy in a BMW 8 series come over and look at my SC3 at the local BP gas sattion and ask wow man....what is that.:eek: :eek: :eek:
Old 07-24-01, 12:42 AM
FurySC400
Rookie

Brian S,

Yeah, that's me. Thanks for the compliments. I just got the SC a week ago. I'm looking forward to learning more about this car through this forum, especially with all the insightful and helpful people.

MyLexusSC300,

Sorry, maybe it's just a Southern California thing here. I guess SCs are pretty common, and I've noticed that most people just don't bother to second glance. Are they pretty common out in Nashville? Hmmm, maybe they're just so popular/common here 'cuz people know a good thing when they see it.

Last edited by FurySC400; 07-24-01 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-24-01, 01:00 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Out of all the cars I have had the NSX was by far the most boring one. Those cars are horribly underpowered... If you had some cash to mod it and/or didn't care about power at all and only wanted handling (without power to make use of it) then the NSX would be a good choice.

I would say though that it would be an excellent daily driver (I am looking at them again for this), but if you are looking at it thinking it is going to be some crazy fun car to drive then I would look elsewhere... They are DULL.

If you like your SC, and you want a bunch of power you could just trade me yours + cash for mine

-Ethan
Old 07-24-01, 09:53 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Ebanks, are you saying that your SC{a super quiet, smmoth riding soft susp., not truly fast, luxury sports coupe} is more "FUN" than driving a true sports car in the NSX??? Wow, we just sold a 98' Vette and the NSX IMO is better to drive than that after driving the Vette for 6 months. My brother just got a Boxster and the NSX is nicer to drive than the Porsche too.

So the money spent to upgrade a SC the same money or less could have made the all ready potent NSX lethal.

As I said before do the research and under stand what you have... and/or want to buy...

MySC300 any car buff that does not knows what a SC is a suspect for felony "stupidity"... Especially in Nashville with Lexus dealerships there, I've seen SCs there...

Fury, which site is the best in your opinion? Also if you compare a high maintenence Porsche, Lotus, Ferrari, ZR1, Viper, BMW 840/850...... Check their resale values/performance and compare it to the NSX...

NSX wins...... in the overall comparisons.... I love Porches, Lotus etc.. too but a fact is a fact.
Old 07-24-01, 10:16 AM
FurySC400
Rookie

Ikon,

Both sites are equally informative and helpful. Prime has an incredibly informative FAQ section. NSXSC has great technical info for installing stuff. If I had to pick on that I liked better, I would probably have to say NSXPrime, and that's only because my impression is that it has more registered members, and as such, has a much more diverse crowd making posts.

Quick Reply: SC400 VS NSX Your thoughts?