SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Got a little too sideways

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-05, 12:12 AM
neoprelude
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a little too sideways

Tonight I went to get ciggs, and my heater plunger thing is messed up because it has no vaccum. So to get the heat working you gotta push the plunger thing in manually, or take it over 4500 RPM ( I guess it gets enough vacum pressure). Well anyways I figured the car was warmed up so I got on it (the gas) to turn on the heat near the exit of turkey hill (mini market) and it fishtailed pretty severly and almost slid into the curb . I've noticed for an open differential alot of times a car will be coming fast and you have to pull out quicky, it fish tails pulling out (especially making a right, I guess since the wheel that spins kicks it out). Just glad I didn't hit the curb, and this was only about at 3500 RPM guess I gotta be extra careful. Another thing I do have a bad rear strut, but on rough highway pavement going over bumps (like over 70 on the highway) the car feels unstable and you can feel it through the steering wheel almost like the cars about to skid out (Not close to skidding out, it's just a feeling kind of hard to describe) i'm hoping it's just the strut doing thing but any suggestions?
Old 10-22-05, 12:19 AM
trent
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

translation please
Old 10-22-05, 12:52 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Good tires won't do that.
Old 10-22-05, 01:10 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by neoprelude
any suggestions?
Yeah- slow down.

And smoking will kill ya.
Old 10-22-05, 08:59 AM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Thats what i am thinking too.
Old 10-22-05, 12:43 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

i got a lil sideways today. i was making a left at a light, and i told my lil brother if i took this turn too fast i would spin out... and i did. i was goin real slow too i dunno what happened. i think i let the clutch out tooo fast... who knows. my tires are **** too.
Old 10-22-05, 01:28 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Yep, or different brands of tires on the same car. I used to do that also until I got some nice tires - and I've got an auto.
Old 10-22-05, 06:17 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...car will be coming fast and you have to pull out quicky, it fish tails pulling out (especially making a right, I guess since the wheel that spins kicks it out)
I find the rear is very willing to break out and can become quite predictable and fun. Experiment with it untill you get used to it and can feel the limits of the car and your tires.

the car feels unstable and you can feel it through the steering wheel almost like the cars about to skid out (Not close to skidding out, it's just a feeling kind of hard to describe) i'm hoping it's just the strut doing thing but any suggestions?
Does it feel like it is about to hydroplane? Does it feel that way on dry pavement too sometimes? That unstable, wierd, floating, wandering feeling almost like your hydroplaning is typical of worn front LCA bushings. Might want to check them out also.
Old 10-23-05, 12:10 AM
neoprelude
Driver

Originally Posted by T0ked
I find the rear is very willing to break out and can become quite predictable and fun. Experiment with it untill you get used to it and can feel the limits of the car and your tires.

Does it feel like it is about to hydroplane? Does it feel that way on dry pavement too sometimes? That unstable, wierd, floating, wandering feeling almost like your hydroplaning is typical of worn front LCA bushings. Might want to check them out also.
You described it exactly, but it really freaks you out more so in the wet!
Old 10-25-05, 11:12 AM
imprtLEXUS
Rookie

Default yes the rear is loose

i understand you my car feels different since i changed my shocks/struts to tokico blues now my car feels looser than it did stcok, i got a few replies saying there tooo soft so if u think sumthin is bad i can relate but i just orderd tt sways and i am gonna replace my bushings hopefully things will stiffen up, but just a day or 2 ago i was making a left in second at around 10-15mph and the back end got away from me sent me strait towards a curb but i stopped in time, it was the first time it got away from me usually i save it or catch it happening but since it happened i find myself thinking about loosing the rear more and more , like one guy replied it is actually pretty predictable.