SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Canards and Splitters

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-05, 07:46 AM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im putting them on my car to so hah! He just wants some pics! Where are the pics?
Old 11-24-05, 07:40 PM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the knockoff vertex kit from ebay, the vspeed one. i know plenty about getting a crappy fiberglass kit, and i told myself forever that i would never get fiberglass, but lets face it, we dont have any other options unless you like the CF elete bumper, or go stock 98 n up. but anyways i finally made myself get it, but only because i have experience with fiberglass and a shop to help me. i reinforced the whole kit myself with fiberglass to make it strong, (btw the kit fit like crap) the front bumper was so bad. shop ended up with an idea of cutting the stock and vertex style bumper in half horizontally and molding them together, so the top part is still polyurethane. turned out great and felt real strong, 6 months later my friend drifted my car into someones curb onto their front yard and amazingly the bumper held on, but cracked in some parts. also good paint job is really important too, otherwise u'll see evey peice of dust in the bumper
Old 11-25-05, 05:15 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
I could give a **** about looks. If you had read in one of my previous posts I had mentioned that the kit Im planning on getting was test fitted on a car while I was there. It had fit perfectly and trust me I've been messing around with car for about 3 years so Im not talking out of my *** like some people. I wish I had a camera to post pics up but I didnt. I too care about quality as much as the next guy but I try and concentrate more on performance first. You are also forgetting the main reason why I made this post. I can be impatient but when when it comes to looks I can wait as much as a year.
As legendary said, I'm not here to start trouble, I'm giving you advice that could save you alot of trouble and headaches in the future.

You say you're not worried about looks, only performance and saving cash...ok, then my reccomendation is to sell the copy bodykit, leave your OEM body parts on and get some universal canards for your front. Splitters aren't really functional unless there is an under diffuser attached to them. Get a large sheet of fiberglass and an equally large sheet of cardboard. Lift the car up and place the carboard underneath the front. Trace the outline of the car and where you want the diffuser to be. Use the template you just made to cut the same shape out of the fiberglass sheet. Trim the fiberglass diffuser to fit, drill holes at the mounting points as needed, spray paint if you wish, bolt on your car and voila. You now have a fully functional, lightweight, front under diffuser.

The idea is to make something like this:

You can do the same for the rear although it gets a little more tricky when it comes to mounting it. The diffusers are more functional and definatly much cheaper and cleaner than a paste on copy bodykit. Goes along with your philosophy of Performance > Apperance and still looks good. I'm not against saving money when tuning...
Old 11-25-05, 08:07 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Syed Shah
Just to clear this up, our cars understerr naturally, not oversteer.
What the hell are you talking about? Do you even have an SC?
Old 11-27-05, 12:45 PM
STRONG SC
Lead Lap

Hah, I felt the same way about the kit. Just get it for now or wait for someone that is partin theirs out. I'm going to save and wait for a good fitting kit. Knock off or not. I'm going to sport the kit mismatched until I put them all on. It's a car project so I like to watch it grow slowly!