SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

***What would you do? FM Modulator!!!***

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-01, 01:01 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Unhappy

Before I'm cursed to the life without music... I'm going to buy an 10/12 disc changer the uses the FM modulator. I've seen a couple at Curcuit city and Best buy for about $100 bucks on sale and I'll install it myself.

I need my CD's!!! I'll use this as a temporary fix until I have to break down a buy a NEW one from the dealer. {Blitz nor any other company is going to make a adapter for the Nakamichi unit any time soon... } What is a man to do???

I'm hoping it sounds at least as good as a high quality cassette sounds in the coupe now, if so I'll be satisfied for now!!!{I heard them in cars with amps, EQs, etc and they sound nice.}

Do you think it'll be as good I'm hoping??? Nak is a nice head unit it should produce a decent quality...

I hope........................................ Give me your input please.....

The Ikon
Old 07-23-01, 05:52 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by The Ikon
Before I'm cursed to the life without music... I'm going to buy an 10/12 disc changer the uses the FM modulator. I've seen a couple at Curcuit city and Best buy for about $100 bucks on sale and I'll install it myself... I'm hoping it sounds at least as good as a high quality cassette sounds in the coupe now, if so I'll be satisfied for now!!!{I heard them in cars with amps, EQs, etc and they sound nice.}

Do you think it'll be as good I'm hoping??? Nak is a nice head unit it should produce a decent quality...

I hope........................................ Give me your input please.....

The Ikon
At best it will only sound as good as a good FM broadcast.

An FM stereo receiver does not have the frequency range of a good (dolby encoded) cassette. But if this is you best economic choice for now it'll still be better than no CDs at all.
Old 07-23-01, 10:31 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Arrow

Marty, I've seen used changers, but I'm always weary of a used one, because it could easily have the same errors as the one I have now.{unless I get at least a 90 day guarrantee...} $600 bucks for a new changer is ridiculous in todays market for cd changers ranging from $100 - $200 for some good units.

If a FM mod. changer is not going to sound as good as a cassette, I might as well keep the disc man I have with the cassette adapter set up now.{It sounds good, but I don't like wires and the inconvience of changing cds constantly...}

Has anyone else tried the fm modulator in their Lex?
Old 07-23-01, 04:13 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Default Here's a thought

If I'm correct, the Lexus changers are made by Pioneer.

What if you took your car to a Pioneer repair shop or had it removed and sent to Pioneer to repair? I can't recall reading if anyone on the site has ever tried this route.

Might be worth contacting Pioneer to see if they would try repairing it. If it were me I'd go to Pioneer's web site and see if it's possible.
Old 07-24-01, 07:15 AM
ToyotaFan

Cool An FM CD changer, with a good head unit and spkrs

will probably satisfy your need for tunes. If the walkman is okay now, then the FM CD should be at least that good. I'm not familiar with the rest of your system, but if you have decent bass, mid, and treble control through the head unit, and sufficient power through amps or the head unit, you can adjust the sound through an FM modulator CD changer just fine. Unless you're a total audiophile that is. The fact that you're using the walkman now tells me that totally perfect sound is not required at this time. Go for the FM CD changer.
Be careful where you mount it, though. The best place is as near to the center of the car as possible. Under a front seat is ideal, but the rear of the trunk is also okay. This is done to minimize skipping when you hit bumps, etc. I've used them in a couple of different cars and they also seem to be more stable if mounted flat, rather than on an edge or back with the cartridge facing straight up. Many factory changers are mounted cartridge facing up, but they are far better quality devices, IMO, so they can get away with it.
Lastly, you may notice a decrease in volume/power as opposed to the walkman set up you're using now. That's why I mentioned amps/head unit power earlier.
Old 07-24-01, 10:01 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Kamil, where is your changer mounted...

T.Fan I have the Nakamichi premium sound unit(280watts) so the power is there and I'm not planning on competing is sound contests.

I'm getting one and if its okay, I;m keeping it...

Kamil also brought to my attention that some also come with remotes and other options that I have failed to compare.

Thanks guys....
Old 07-25-01, 10:16 AM
new to lexus
Rookie

I actually stuck mine in the glove compartment.

Negatives:
Loss of space!!
Only a 6-disk will fit.
The tight fit and hard plastic surrounding causes the changer to feel all the bumps pretty hard so it skips more than it would if you mounted it in the trunk or under a seat. I'm thinking of putting some kind of shockabsorbant padding around it although there's not much room.

Positives:
CONVENIENCE!
CONVENIENCE!
CONVENIENCE!
and it looks kind of cool - people are surprisingly impressed when they see it.

Kamil
Old 07-25-01, 12:05 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

I'm opting for under the seat(I want a larger changer 10 or 12 disc) at this moment for ease of changing the CD's. I have not measured the height available under the seat, nor the width.

I'm sure it will fit... So I can reduce the install time as well.

Old 07-26-01, 05:58 AM
ToyotaFan

Default Don't know how you feel about drilling holes, so...(more)

I would suggest using velcro to "mount" it to the carpeting under the seat. That's how I did it in my sons' Camry, and it's never moved. Just use the "hook" side of the velcro. The sticky tape will hold tightly to the bottom of the CD unit, and it will grab the carpeting nicely. This method also eliminates the need to remove the seat, thereby making the install even quicker and easier. Would also suggest putting it under the passenger seat. You won't be able to reach it while driving, therefore eliminiating the temptation of changing CD's while hurtling down the highway. :-)
If you decide to drill holes, be careful! Make sure it's clear under the car, and when the screws stick through, coat them with a clear silicone caulking (like GE, 50 year stuff) to prevent rust and moisture from entering the car. It also prevents the screws from coming loose over time. I did it this way in my Eclipse because the CD unit had to fit in exactly the right position. There was no room any movement at all, so I screwed it in place. Besides, it was also only an Eclipse, so who cares if it has holes drilled in it? :-) :-)
Old 07-26-01, 09:11 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

TFan,

You are right velcro for sure... If it's under the seat... Never, never drill holes in your Lex... Unless you are professional!!!