SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: cool or not
its the greatest thing ever
26.43%
drag racing is the only true automotive sport
5.71%
whatever i do what i want
51.43%
drifting? didn't they do that in one of thoes furious and somthing or other movies?
23.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

drifting: cool or tool?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-05, 06:18 AM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its tool, tool i tell you. Getting your car sideways, cloud of smoke behind you.........Tool.
Old 10-29-05, 07:31 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SinisterSC
Which if you ask me is a joke when it comes to judging.
Ummmm Formula D is rigged.

And so has D1GP for years. It's ALL a show. Especially when it's obvious the driver who lost (usually a "small guy", with limited sponsors) was a better driver, but the winning car is a factory sponsored car.

Anyways, people should do what they want with their cars, I think drifting becomming popular has led to a lot of positives.

I haven't drifted on a regular basis (attending practices and such) in about a year/ year n 1/2, but, I definatly enjoy it. I've been thinking about putting togeather a car for next season actually.. muhahahaha

On that note....

Mongol: you have a cage in your car yet? Wouldn't mind doing some practice tandem runs with you next season
Old 10-29-05, 09:37 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JZZ30TT
Ummmm Formula D is rigged.

And so has D1GP for years. It's ALL a show. Especially when it's obvious the driver who lost (usually a "small guy", with limited sponsors) was a better driver, but the winning car is a factory sponsored car.
Formula D and their "judging system" is pretty screwed up with all the ignorant guest judges and whatnot but it's not rigged. Neither is D1...the winning driver isn't always the best, it's how they perform that day. You should also remember that most of the drivers that are the big guys today were yesterdays small guys without sponsors. Kazama, Miki, Suenaga....they're big now but they were virtually unknown a few years back.

Personally I love roadrace, touge, time attack, rally and gymkhana....but I have a very good appriciation for drifting as a sport itself. I think the mainstream accepting it is generally a good thing but just like everything else, there is alot of ignorance about it. Most of the people knocking on drifting are ignorant about much of what drifting is and what it involves. The FF3 movie is focused on "drift racing" not what you see in formula D or D1, but intial D style races where drifting is used for speed through the course.
Old 10-30-05, 01:11 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kietlander
it was cool a couple of years ago....but now its too mainstream. i mean if f&f3 will have it...its dead.
I totally agree with this. The mainstream of it is killing the rarity of our cars. Now everytime that I come across some guy in a lowered honda, he asks me if I drift my car. Please. Then I see all these honda newbie threads "Oh I want to build a SC and swap a 2JZ or 1JZ" all because of the D1 circuit and crap.

It's kinda annoying honestly, but if it makes the ppl happy then let them do it. What can we do? PPL on this board know where I stand. The popularity can be good and bad.... cops, for example, love the 240 now (hence why I sold my SR20 S13 after having it for years before the popularity). I'm already planning on selling my SC because of the irritating "Oh I want a SC to swap."

I'm seriously not trying to be a jerk either. I'm just being honest.

Last edited by kaotiq; 10-30-05 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-30-05, 08:34 AM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kaotiq
I totally agree with this. The mainstream of it is killing the rarity of our cars.
do what!? how is drifting making these cars less rare!? They arn't rare to begin with, if you haven't noticed they were mass produced. You sound like stuck up 240 owners who think drifiting is ruining all of these wonderful 240's, it's not, and they certinally arn't wonderful.

The only thing drifting is doing is HELPING the availability of parts and making parts cheaper because more people are buying them. You SC guys ALWAYS complain that there arn't that many parts made for your cars, yet when someone starts making parts or parts become available, you either complain about the price or just don't buy it. I don't get it....
Old 10-30-05, 08:51 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

I'm just scared of seeing "attack" bodykits on an sc300 at the local corner by early next year. I like things how they are, 90% of the SC's on the road are very tastefully modded (becides the widebody yellow one). Most owners are also very cool and don't do stupid things to disrespect our cars.

Soon the day will come where the average "street racer" will learn about our cars and buy em, put stickers on em, crazy bodykits and rims. It happened to 240s here in Orlando within the last 6 months, they went from nothing to the new "civic". Sc300s have also taken off, but by good people. Most buy them to 1JZ swap and such, and not just install kits, rims, wings, stickers, and run 17sec 1/4mi times.

If there is a mainstream sc3/soarer in the movie, within a few months after that our little cult will be over and taken over by idiots, but i wont care by that point, ill be single turbo'd
Old 10-30-05, 09:04 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I like watching it and all, but I don't think I'll be doing it.
Old 10-30-05, 01:05 PM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

its great to hear the responce. i personaly have been drifting on back roads before it became uber popular, and just to have fun. but the main reason i posted this thread was to see how the CL community stood as a group on the subject. keep the responces rolling. and every know the reason we own cars is to be orrigainal and not to follow whats cool, so keep the ideas flowing and have fun.
Old 10-30-05, 01:50 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

I think we should be the ones that mod our SC's, make them look sweet and in turn make people want to have them. Imitation is the best form of flattery. The people that drive SC with a boy racer rice mentality are the ones that make us look bad though.. but that dosent mean you have to go and sell your car because of a select few idiots in the world who drive the same car as you, do some dumb stuff to it (like trying to be a drifter).
Old 10-30-05, 01:57 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Well as the CL community we should be the "group" that mods our cars right and let the rest of the world envy! All SC300s should be turbo and all SC400s be supercharged or turbo! We gotta have the ballz to backup the Toyota/Lexus name to the world!
Old 10-30-05, 02:37 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

do what!? how is drifting making these cars less rare!? They arn't rare to begin with, if you haven't noticed they were mass produced. You sound like stuck up 240 owners who think drifiting is ruining all of these wonderful 240's, it's not, and they certinally arn't wonderful.

The only thing drifting is doing is HELPING the availability of parts and making parts cheaper because more people are buying them. You SC guys ALWAYS complain that there arn't that many parts made for your cars, yet when someone starts making parts or parts become available, you either complain about the price or just don't buy it. I don't get it....
Let me elaborate. Rarity of our cars could have been better expressed. What I meant to say was that the rarity of our cars as in "modified SCs" where cops would not even bat an eye at. I am totally not taking the "elitist/a-hole" mentality here. Like a couple years ago, it was extremely rare to see modified SCs on the road. Nowadays, it is starting to get a bit popular. The drifting scene has perked ppl's interests for the SC as a "drift/tuner" car. I'm not saying drifting is a bad thing because I enjoy taking a ride in my friend's cars at driftdays and watching the events from time to time. It is just mainly the age group that it attracts and the type of ppl that want to follow the professional drifter's footsteps: aka ricers (mostly).

Let me speak from personal experience. 4-5 years ago, I had a 240 with a SR20 swap. It was rare at the time, no one really knew what a SR20DET was. Cops didn't care, I drove around without a problem. Then came the drifting scene. The ricers all wanted to give up their hondas for a 240 and a SR20 swap. Now cops have a huge eye out for 240s on the street here all over California. Santa Barbara is a great example of the "drifting" awareness. Ask anyone that tunes an import car that lives around that area. Hence why I got rid of my car. My brother now has a 240 with a SR20 and attends UCSB's doctorate program. He literally has a schedule written down that shows where cops are around Santa Barbara and what roads to avoid at what times. Can you dream of driving your modded SC around with that kind of paranoia?

I have a friend who is a police officer. He told me that they are now aware of the whole concept of drifting. They hold training classes that teach cops what to look for with certain cars. They also send a couple officers once in a while to attend large drift competitions to take notes on what cars can be used and tuned for drifting.

I'm very certain that all of us, or 90% of us, are responsible adults who tune our cars for the pure passion and love for our SCs. The SC has always been my favorite car since I was in 8th grade. You have to admit, that "10%" of ricer tuners who buy their SCs to be cool and swap and HaVe M8D DrFt Sk1llz Yo are the ones that ruin it for us good tuners.
Old 10-30-05, 08:53 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kaotiq

Let me speak from personal experience. 4-5 years ago, I had a 240 with a SR20 swap. It was rare at the time, no one really knew what a SR20DET was. Cops didn't care, I drove around without a problem. Then came the drifting scene. The ricers all wanted to give up their hondas for a 240 and a SR20 swap. Now cops have a huge eye out for 240s on the street here all over California. Santa Barbara is a great example of the "drifting" awareness. Ask anyone that tunes an import car that lives around that area. Hence why I got rid of my car. My brother now has a 240 with a SR20 and attends UCSB's doctorate program. He literally has a schedule written down that shows where cops are around Santa Barbara and what roads to avoid at what times. Can you dream of driving your modded SC around with that kind of paranoia?

You HONESTLY think the reason 240s are so popular is because of drifting!? Give me a break. How about the fact that a sr'd 240 is pretty much the best bang for the buck as far as all around performance there is now.

You also live in cali... so you know the laws about mod'ing you car. And you choose to ignore them, that is your decision. If you get caught right now with the car you drive, popular or not you'd get in the same trouble as if the car was more popular.
Old 10-30-05, 08:55 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
Well as the CL community we should be the "group" that mods our cars right and let the rest of the world envy!
So, why does the rest of the world laugh, instead of envy?
Old 10-30-05, 09:05 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

You HONESTLY think the reason 240s are so popular is because of drifting!? Give me a break. How about the fact that a sr'd 240 is pretty much the best bang for the buck as far as all around performance there is now.

You also live in cali... so you know the laws about mod'ing you car. And you choose to ignore them, that is your decision. If you get caught right now with the car you drive, popular or not you'd get in the same trouble as if the car was more popular.

I'm gonna say that while it probably isn't entirely responsible for the 240's popularity, the recent growth in the number of kids getting into drifting hasn't necessarily helped out.

I know that in my high school, there are kids who have picked up 240's for 2-3k and have intentions of being Mr. Super DOORRRIFTUOO! So, whether or not drifting made the 240 as famous as it is, it is currently popular as it is because of drifting.
Old 10-30-05, 09:54 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

So, why does the rest of the world laugh, instead of envy?
haha, I know it is a rhetorical question but let me just answer you anyways, cause of people with no taste or no determination to modify them correctly!!!

I kind of have to disagree with you there. I think that people buying 240's IS popular mainly because of the 'drifting trend'. About 80% of the whole 'scene' is "Monkey see Monkey do" People see 240's s13/14/15 being drifted by big name sponsors they want it asap to tell their friends and fellow forum members they're going to make a drift machine just like "-->insert japanese drifter names here<--" Especially here in SoCal, you see all these 240 guys with different rims with different colors front and back, huge angled exhausts, stickers etc...you get the point. My friend owns a 240 and he is also an aspiring drifter, will he make it? nah, I doubt it, he spray paints his bumper and all this ghetto stuff and won't listen to me, so I have no choice but to support him because he is a friend. His friends? Man, they're the worst, some wierd ghetto rigged modifications, I could care less though.

I just don't want the SC's image being shattered, which it is already making it's way through the sewage system and entering our filthy oceans.

As long as SC's are cheap, there will be cheap owners. With cheap owners come horrible SC's.

If you can't afford to modify your car, please don't!!!

Quick Reply: drifting: cool or tool?