SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: cool or not
its the greatest thing ever
26.43%
drag racing is the only true automotive sport
5.71%
whatever i do what i want
51.43%
drifting? didn't they do that in one of thoes furious and somthing or other movies?
23.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

drifting: cool or tool?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-05, 10:12 PM
Dramon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason I love my SC is you can fly under the radar knock on wood.
Old 10-30-05, 10:45 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JZZ30TT
You HONESTLY think the reason 240s are so popular is because of drifting!? Give me a break. How about the fact that a sr'd 240 is pretty much the best bang for the buck as far as all around performance there is now.

You also live in cali... so you know the laws about mod'ing you car. And you choose to ignore them, that is your decision. If you get caught right now with the car you drive, popular or not you'd get in the same trouble as if the car was more popular.
So are you saying that drifting is not a major, if not the main, contributor to the popularity of the 240 and toyota corolla? Honestly...

Yes, I totally agree with you, the SR20 240 is the best bang for the buck, but how did it get so popular all of a sudden? How can you say that I will get into the same trouble with a cop if our cars are not popular. Less popularity = Less knowledge (majority of the time). Cops used to give me the thumbs up and sometimes still do when they are next to me or behind me. I expect that to all change soon.

I had a large Apexi N1 on my 240 and cops were behind me all the time and never pulled me over. It's different now.
Old 10-31-05, 06:56 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

people have been ricing out their sc's since the car was produced. if you search the internet you will find a lot of interesting paint jobs. ricer mods. and interiors you would puke at just seeing. drifting just gives it a little more fuel to the fire, because people who already have sc's try it and now want their car to look like the car in the videos. that will give cops a heads up on who to pull over and who not to. keep the car unique and problems will never arise. mod your car with ricer add ons and expect cops to laugh while pulling you over. Can't blame drifting for people buy our inexpensive car and making it popular. blame the posers for trashing a great luxury car.
Old 10-31-05, 07:47 AM
1JZSC
Driver School Candidate

You HONESTLY think the reason 240s are so popular is because of drifting!? Give me a break. How about the fact that a sr'd 240 is pretty much the best bang for the buck as far as all around performance there is now.
Yes, you are a fool if you belive people build SR 240s to autoX or drag race them. I have been watching the scene for some time. It has gone from budget minded people who care about conering abilty to MAD JDM TYTE drifter wannabes who are teh 1337357.

The SR swapped 240 IS FAR from the best bang for the buck out there. I can think of more than a couple cars that are cheaper to buy and mod than an SR powered 240. You are living in a dreamworld if you think that people build SR cars for the "Bang for the buck". My build ended up costing nearly 10K not including the car and I barely had greater than stock power maybe around 250RWHP. This was four years ago. I only paid 1200 for a S13 Blacktop front clip. Try to find one for that price now. I did the swap myself in my garage. I suppose I could have spent another couple grand on a turbo, some piggy backs and upgraded fuel system and hit 300RWHP.

You also live in cali... so you know the laws about mod'ing you car. And you choose to ignore them, that is your decision. If you get caught right now with the car you drive, popular or not you'd get in the same trouble as if the car was more popular.
The point being made is that the cops profile possible victims. Cops only look for cars that are most likely to be illegally modded. In Cali, the cops like to be in the know. It went from them overlooking the 240 to them looking for the 240. How often do you see a Carmy pulled over compared to an Accord?
Old 10-31-05, 08:04 AM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1JZSC
Yes, you are a fool if you belive people build SR 240s to autoX or drag race them. I have been watching the scene for some time. It has gone from budget minded people who care about conering abilty to MAD JDM TYTE drifter wannabes who are teh 1337357.

The SR swapped 240 IS FAR from the best bang for the buck out there. I can think of more than a couple cars that are cheaper to buy and mod than an SR powered 240. You are living in a dreamworld if you think that people build SR cars for the "Bang for the buck". My build ended up costing nearly 10K not including the car and I barely had greater than stock power maybe around 250RWHP. This was four years ago. I only paid 1200 for a S13 Blacktop front clip. Try to find one for that price now. I did the swap myself in my garage. I suppose I could have spent another couple grand on a turbo, some piggy backs and upgraded fuel system and hit 300RWHP.
lol you spent wayyyyyyyyy too much money then. I've built numerous sr'd 240's for under 5k with stock turbo.Hell, it can be done for a lot less than than if you have a brain. $10k is just ridiclous for a stock turbo car. I built my current 240 to drive in the mountians/on road courses... thanks. Anyway, this really isn't about 240's.

Originally Posted by 1JZSC
The point being made is that the cops profile possible victims. Cops only look for cars that are most likely to be illegally modded. In Cali, the cops like to be in the know. It went from them overlooking the 240 to them looking for the 240. How often do you see a Carmy pulled over compared to an Accord?
No, the point is, you are knowingly breaking the law. Reguardless of how or under what circumstances you get caught, the fact still remains you are breaking the law, you know the consequences, so deal with it.

Why do people illegally mod their car and then whine about it when they get caught? I'll never understand this. For example, I don't run a front plate... that's against the law. So when I get a ticket, i go to court and pay the damn fine. I don't whine and ***** about it on the interenet.
Old 10-31-05, 09:42 AM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

quick everyone buy a bunch of 1jz's so we can all sell them for $5K each next year.
if my my quote the mivie Fight Club "we can sell their own fat asses back to them"
hahah now do it!

Last edited by legendary; 11-15-05 at 05:58 AM. Reason: fixed post (quote)
Old 10-31-05, 06:07 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Why do people illegally mod their car and then whine about it when they get caught? I'll never understand this. For example, I don't run a front plate... that's against the law. So when I get a ticket, i go to court and pay the damn fine. I don't whine and ***** about it on the interenet.
I totally agree with this statement. I know that I mod my car illegally and it sure the hell doesn't help with a large turbo on an illegal motor either. I agree with you that if you get caught, it is your own doing.

I'm not *****ing about getting caught. I'm just saying that before this huge trend in drifting, cops were never an issue, but now it is different because of the widespread popularity. Before, I was never paranoid and now I am starting to get there. That is all.
Old 10-31-05, 06:24 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kaotiq
I totally agree with this statement. I know that I mod my car illegally and it sure the hell doesn't help with a large turbo on an illegal motor either. I agree with you that if you get caught, it is your own doing.

I'm not *****ing about getting caught. I'm just saying that before this huge trend in drifting, cops were never an issue, but now it is different because of the widespread popularity. Before, I was never paranoid and now I am starting to get there. That is all.
cool, you didn't come off as complaining about getting caught, that's just a pet peve of mine.
Old 11-03-05, 03:08 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Originally Posted by MongolKhan
Its tool, tool i tell you. Getting your car sideways, cloud of smoke behind you.........Tool.
Smoke? or dirt?
Old 11-05-05, 08:23 PM
SCV8
Instructor

It's fun, but we sort of did that twenty years ago when there were more rwd cars, and nearly no hi-performance fwd cars.
Old 11-06-05, 01:04 AM
1JZSC
Driver School Candidate

lol you spent wayyyyyyyyy too much money then. I've built numerous sr'd 240's for under 5k with stock turbo.Hell, it can be done for a lot less than than if you have a brain. $10k is just ridiclous for a stock turbo car. I built my current 240 to drive in the mountians/on road courses... thanks. Anyway, this really isn't about 240's.

This is a null point. Perhaps I should point out that I completely rebuilt the motor and my suspension left nothing to be desired. I never said it was stock, I said it made only about 250RWHP. I actually had an S15 T28. Maybe it was closer to 300RWHP, still not enough for me though. My project DSM makes more than that on less than half the money on the stock 14B.

I could build a POS too with a junk yard motor with an unknown ammount of miles and get the car barely running for less than 5K. I could proobably do it for less than 3K. That wasn't my point. My point was that the car is not cheap to mod. The plethora of HKS goods weren't cheap. I don't rock ****ty ACT clutches and the like.

No, the point is, you are knowingly breaking the law. Reguardless of how or under what circumstances you get caught, the fact still remains you are breaking the law, you know the consequences, so deal with it.

What people are trying to say is that these cars, even though were illegally modded, went unnoticed as cops didn't think that they were likely to actually be doing something stupid. Now that people are getting crazy with the **** on the street, cops are paying more attention to what was before "...just a Lexus". I won't cry if I'm cought with an illegal engine or the like, but I would be more happy if the cops didn't have a reason to single me out.
Old 11-07-05, 07:12 AM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by awj
Smoke? or dirt?
Both, its a waste of time and money. Thats why i love doing it.
Old 11-10-05, 07:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ATL-SC
so in the last couple of months there have been a lot of new threads regarding drifting.
so out of curiousity i wanted to know who likes it or not. and of course some funny reasons why
Hey man, check out a meet in Atlanta. www.seloc.net

Old 11-11-05, 12:31 AM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

hey ive been a member of seloc for a long time . it seem like there is just becomin g alex movement int eh south east. but ill be back in town for thankd giving so ill try to meat up with yall.

please excuse the 4 am drunken post i will re do it in my 8 oclok engineringt class 2marow
Old 11-11-05, 06:39 AM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

hey here is the sober post. sorry bout that.
it seems like there is alot of new guys picking up SC's in the ATL area. I have heard alot about seloc and i am a member of their forum but havent had the chance to go to any of their meets.
maybe we should get so SC's together for the next sothern fried slide down at turnner feild.

Quick Reply: drifting: cool or tool?