SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: cool or not
its the greatest thing ever
26.43%
drag racing is the only true automotive sport
5.71%
whatever i do what i want
51.43%
drifting? didn't they do that in one of thoes furious and somthing or other movies?
23.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

drifting: cool or tool?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 04:56 PM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the thing that sucks most for me is that ive been into drifting and the all things "jdm" import scene now for years, but i am only recently able to afford to modify my car to meet my high standards, and to be able to be fully active in the scene, no rice here! and now that everything ive loved for so long is so mainstream, i fear i will be pinned as a bandwagon rider... i had the 240/silvia conversion in my head about 5 or 6 years ago, and now 240's with sr20's are as common as civics with b16's. i was into the sc/soarer conversions back when i bought my first sc, a gold 93' sc400, when i was 18, im 22 now, ive learned a lot since then, and will be buyng my 2nd sc, this time a 97 sc300, soon enough. so befor you pin some newcomers as bandwagon riders, just remember were not all newcomers, some of us arent as financially able to have all of the fundings for these big projects in short amounts of time... it will probably take my 2-3 years to finish my sc300 once i get it... but recently im thinking of buying a 98 gs300, doing an aristo conversion and switching to vip style to do something different, until that catches the mainstream bandwagon, which it will soon enough... soon everything we pre-fnf og's of the import tuning world will have nothing left, it will all be mainstream, and apc will make rice parts for every genre of the import world... when i first saw the apc sponsored s15 in d1 i must admit i puked in my mouth a little bit... on the upside i live in iowa where the mainstream import scene hasnt come through... i thought i was the only sc afficionado in iowa until recently, when i noticed a newer member on these forums lives 15 minutes away form me...
Old 12-14-05, 07:21 PM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fortune sc i agree i some ways.
we cant help that rices do latch onto anything that might be cool, hondas, drifting, and maybe soon vip style. who knows.
its the same thing that happened to Nirvana
its up to who ever is a true fan and not a leach to preserve what they like.
people with APC parts = "i wish i was cool and i hope nobody notices my car has nothing functional on it"
oh and us younger SC owners need to represent well. regardless if you are into drifting, show cars, what ever.
Dont stoop to their level.
Old 12-14-05, 07:42 PM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

i absolutely refuse to buy cheap parts, its all about brand name, functional, proven parts for me. thats why my car will remain stock till i have the funds for such parts, im the type to go all out, not half assed. i dont plan on stooping to any lower level. where i live theres only a select few of us original pre-fnf import fans left in the crowd, most of us have dispersed and every once i awhile we meet up to hang out and do whatever... i miss the pre fnf days, thats what i blame for the
problems among our community... after fnf every kid with an import, or mom and dads import , and some without imports, decided they were gunna be a streetracer, now everyone wants to drift, even kids with chevy luminas...
Old 12-19-05, 06:56 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Let em drift, or smoke or whatever

I really don't care what people do, as long as they watch out for others. Don't do this crap on public roads - if you want to be 'pro drivers' - reckless in my mind, but hey its your car and life - then do it on the track. Yeah, I am one of those types and won't bore you to death with shock stories about people getting killed by some punk in a fast car who thought he was 2 fast and 2 furious.

I'm not worried about the police because I have nothing to hide so if cops are watching my car because it is modded then so be it. Sure, they have followed me a bit (especially when I had my 5spd) , but I just give em a big happy wave and if they pull me over then I can happily tell them, No officer, you may not have a look in my car. They don't scare me - Im a republican. hahaha

Of course, if I had drifting skills then perhaps I wouldn't have totalled my first coupe since I lost it on a curve.

Anyway, enjoy the drifting, the ricing and whatever you want it's your money. Me, I will be happy with my built and s/c'd V8 with a diving decal and tinted windows.

Peter
Old 12-19-05, 09:54 AM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 933005spd
They don't scare me - Im a republican. hahaha

Of course, if I had drifting skills then perhaps I wouldn't have totalled my first coupe since I lost it on a curve.
Peter
haha! i agree with you on the first point...

and i also lost my first coupe on a curve...
Old 02-05-06, 03:20 PM
sc430uk
Driver

why would you drift, it just ruins the suspension and tyres of the car
Old 02-07-06, 06:48 AM
Splatsc300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sc430uk
why would you drift, it just ruins the suspension and tyres of the car

......and road racing makes them last longer??
Old 02-16-06, 05:57 PM
swedboy07
Driver School Candidate

Default D-r-i-f-t

Pretty sure my first drift I never ment todo i was just smoking a burner. But since then I can't help it I love it. I'm one of those guys that you see going down the road and you say he's gonna die... that's me I go through dallas with a few of my friends (supra, Z06, 300zx) and we just go through drifiting racing, draging what ever happens... unfortuantly the V8 it pretty much only good at the higher RPM
s which make it an ok drifter if I work it enough... got to love it

so what i say ******ing cool

D-R-I-F-T it's where it's at
Old 02-16-06, 07:33 PM
Splatsc300
Lead Lap

... thats all I'm going to say
Old 02-25-06, 12:22 AM
1badsoarer
Driver

I've lived in japan for 3+ years and have been into drifting since 01. I own 4 GM's that are pre 1973. I've done drag racing, SCCA, touge, auto-x, gymkana and drifting. As of right now, it's the most fun i've had behind the wheel, but not the most demanding. Drifting just doesnt quite take the skill that some other motorsports takes. Not to take anything away from drifters, but I probably won't drift when I move back to the states in November.
Old 02-25-06, 01:16 AM
ridox
Driver

do what makes you happy
Old 02-25-06, 03:44 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The only problem I have is that people are running around with beat up looking SC's that they Drift. PLEASE get a 240 or sumthing if you cant keep it 'looking' right.

Dents, rust, busted aero, etc.. arent good looks, nor acceptable for an SC.

IMHO: Drifting is cool
Old 02-26-06, 03:23 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

I changed my mind...Me no likey Drifting R'now I wrecked at the track yesterday

My Site: within the next month or so....I PROMISE!! I have been shooting new portfolio images over the last year and just have to scan, edit and come up with a new site design :
Old 02-26-06, 04:41 PM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Emerald
The only problem I have is that people are running around with beat up looking SC's that they Drift. PLEASE get a 240 or sumthing if you cant keep it 'looking' right.

Dents, rust, busted aero, etc.. arent good looks, nor acceptable for an SC.

IMHO: Drifting is cool
Some people love to drive their car "hard" so who gives a **** about how it looks. Looks come last.
Old 02-26-06, 05:08 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Its a Lexus. Respect it.

Dont buy it if you cant keep it in 'Lexus Condition'. You act like its sum sort of 'Sports car'...Its not. rusted out fender pulls, busted up aero and dents are not acceptable. Do that **** to a 240 if you cant afford to properly maintain a Lexus. People see the Vertex car and get all excited. Yeah it looks cool Drifting ...BECAUSE IT LOOKS COOL DRIFTING. He respects the brand and would never let one of his cars hit the track lookin like ****. Take an autoshop class if you dont know how to do bodywork and excecute a proper pull or panel repair

How hard can you drive that NA anyway?

SR20det 240 > SC300 2jzge....Then you wont have to make siggies confusing dirt with tire smoke

Quick Reply: drifting: cool or tool?