SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

PWR/ECT button failure...help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-05, 12:35 AM
posterboi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy PWR/ECT button failure...help!

I am having problems w/ my PWR/ECT button. When I hit this button, I know that I'm supposed to get more power like some kind of bootleg turbo button but nothing happens and the light in instrument panel doesn't even come on!! I'm thinking that maybe mine is disconnected or something because I already checked the fuses under the steering wheel!! What's wrong!!
Old 11-04-05, 01:07 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

I'd take it over a squirt of NAWWS anyday.
know that I'm supposed to get more power like some kind of bootleg turbo button
pull the center console up and check the connection.
Old 11-04-05, 05:06 AM
rocket
Driver

I am sorry but what does that function do again. I was under the impression that it was something like traction control if you can please fill me in
Old 11-04-05, 05:27 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It changes the shift points on the tranny. It holds a gear longer, usually shifting aroung 5k rpm instead of the "normal" 3.5-4k rpm. Go WOT and see of flipping the switch changes the shifts. If so, then the button works fine, your dash light might be broken.
Old 11-04-05, 05:31 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It increases the line pressure allowing a downshift much easier..... I'm not sure about it allowing to rev higher though
Old 11-04-05, 11:56 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by posterboi
I am having problems w/ my PWR/ECT button. When I hit this button, I know that I'm supposed to get more power like some kind of bootleg turbo button but nothing happens and the light in instrument panel doesn't even come on!! I'm thinking that maybe mine is disconnected or something because I already checked the fuses under the steering wheel!! What's wrong!!
It was kind of said here but the ECT/PWR button DOES NOT give you more power. ECT means Electronically Controlled Transmission. It only controls shift points of the transmission, allowing slightly higher revs during acceleration and earlier downshifts to keep the tranny in the powerband. As for your light on the cluster, check the bulb!
Old 11-04-05, 01:26 PM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

As others have pointed out, the switch simply pushes the point of changing gear towards higher rpm, giving you margianlly better spirited drive at the cost of higher voulem of fuel burned. To keep your drive econimical keep it in normal.

The possibilities are burnt indicator, faulty swtich/wiring & problem in the transmission. To eliminate a blown bulb, check dash with switch turned ON from OFF. [Lot of folks/drivers ignore the importance of the test of all warning bulbs ... switch form off to on of the ignition switch]. To see if the setup is working notice the rpm meter as your car changes gear under accellariton.

To access the switch, pull hand-brake, move transmission in neutral, force the plastic at the base of the leather wrap of the shifter down. Remove 2 phillips screws and lift off the shifeter. Then simply pop up the plastic gear shifter bezel.

Salim
Old 11-04-05, 03:46 PM
posterboi
Driver

Thanks everyone for you combined efforts!!!

Special thanx to salimshah for detailed work.

Holla front!
Old 11-04-05, 04:58 PM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

I thought I stood for Electronically Controlled Throttle.
.......It has a "snow" setting....and when selected.....it wont let you take off from a stand still.
You can mash the pedal and *nothing* happens
Old 11-04-05, 05:34 PM
rocket
Driver

that sounds wright to me but ever one is saying other wise. Okay maybe this will clear it up. My car is a 98 model so will that have something to do with the differences .
Old 11-04-05, 05:49 PM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

I think PWR changes the shift points......where as "Snow" reduces the throttle input.
When My GS would break loose in water....the ECT light would flash on the instrument panel, as it was trying to regain traction.

Maybe its both?

Last edited by King7Two; 11-04-05 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-04-05, 05:55 PM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

Maybe we should throw Electront Traction Control in there as well

Hell....I dont know
......I just drive the damn thing.

Maybe its time to actually READ the owners manual

Last edited by King7Two; 11-04-05 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-05-05, 02:15 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

ECT Switch
This switch has 2 modes (as we all know) - normal and power modes. It doesn't give you anymore power, it only changes the shift points. Use power mode if you need more power (like pulling onto a packed freeway at high speeds). Otherwise normal mode will do you fine.

ETCS/TRC - 96 Soarer~/97(or 98?) SC~
The Electronic Traction Control System (ETCS) is simply that. There are 2 modes, auto and snow mode. For some reason (I've noticed in mine) that if I do loose traction (say going around a corner with too much stick) the car will retard/lag its way up the rev range once it gets traction again (I know it limited me to a certain RPM but I can't remember what it was). In my car the SNOW dash light goes on and will stay in this mode until I take my foot off the throttle and press the ETCS mode button back to normal. Would be interesting to see if the USD models do the same too.

Jose
Old 11-05-05, 09:45 AM
salimshah

Received 1,061 Likes on 957 Posts

Snow mode starts the car in 2nd as opposed to 1st to reduce torque and provide slower rotation of the back wheels (rwd) to help grip the road a little better. Snow mode is equally usable in summer when your rears are in mud.

Salim
Old 02-19-22, 08:16 PM
nickpls400
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Snow mode starts the car in 2nd as opposed to 1st to reduce torque and provide slower rotation of the back wheels (rwd) to help grip the road a little better. Snow mode is equally usable in summer when your rears are in mud.

Salim
Salim, are there steps to R/R and check the ECT PWR switch? How to remove the panel to get to the switch? Thanks in advance for the response and steps.

Quick Reply: PWR/ECT button failure...help!