SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

CF hood.... yes i searched

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-05, 03:38 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CF hood.... yes i searched

ok, ive seen our cars with the cf hood and different companies that make them, but i just found one on the internet by a company that ive never heard mentioned on here, and a hood that ive never seen. I search for the company name in here but nadda.

So does anybody have any info on these two hoods? does raceonusa actually make the hood, or are they selling a vis hood or something else? just stuff like that, and if raceonusa does make it, is it quality? in perspective of not speding 4k on a hood. Does anybody have any pics of the first on on a car?

http://www.raceonusa.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=4268
http://www.raceonusa.com/index.asp?P...ROD&ProdID=365

if this info is somewhere here on CL just link me up and sorry for the repost.
Old 11-10-05, 03:54 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Couple of threads with them in general in it... might try PMing some of the participants (except the guy Lexologist, hopefully he's in jail now so he might not have internet access )

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=raceon
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=26
Old 11-10-05, 04:10 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

yeah i noticed those, nothing on the hoods though in the oem replacement one the fitment looks excelent and it says its from a customers car. hopefully someone on here has experienced their hoods before. thanks for the advice, ill try and PM them
Old 11-10-05, 05:06 PM
JZSoarerQT
Driver

I'd stick with a brand name hood like VIS. Im sure you will have fitment issues with those.....I dont have one...but if I get a CF hood...it'll be VIS just cuz Ive heard theyre hoods fit well. I
Old 11-10-05, 06:19 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JZSoarerQT
I'd stick with a brand name hood like VIS. Im sure you will have fitment issues with those.....I dont have one...but if I get a CF hood...it'll be VIS just cuz Ive heard theyre hoods fit well. I
negative. it's hit or miss.
Old 11-10-05, 07:45 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have also heard horror stories about VIS hoods.... on the other hand, the first one you linked looks very nice to me... its deffinately different. please post back here if you find any info.
Old 11-11-05, 07:19 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JZSoarerQT
VIS a brand name? bwahahahaha

If you want a quality hood that fits right, go with Runner, Vertex or Varis.

VIS, Seibon, GTP(importfan), and raceon all have fitment/quality issues.
Old 11-12-05, 05:03 AM
Koma

I thought Raceonusa resold VIS hoods?
Old 11-12-05, 05:05 AM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

raceon sells seibon hoods. trust me, i know.
Old 11-12-05, 10:40 AM
JZSoarerQT
Driver

Hmm....Ive never had any problems with any VIS hoods Ive bought before...but thats not to say that theirs bad hoods that come from them.....as far as the JDM companies go...quality is bar none but its also twice the price on a VIS hood....sorry but Im not willing to pay $800-$1000 for a hood ...even if I do have a lexus...you guys get all worked up on these "JDM Bling" parts....how many of you really buy them...Id rather put $800 towards my motor 1st.....
Old 11-12-05, 11:11 AM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i am looking into getting a cf hood. my question is do you need hood pins no matter what? im just not a fan of hood pins. i was thinking about VIS just because of price. i dont want to spend 1000 for a hood. what is the best place to order them from? also i plan on painting mine so do i need to look for something specificly(sp). if by chance i do break down and buy a Vertex or Varis. Where should i order it from?
Old 11-12-05, 11:37 AM
JZSoarerQT
Driver

I heard that one of VIS's selling points is that theyre latch is made well so you will not need hood pins. I had a VIS hood on my last car and didnt use pins and never had any problems with it.

Hood Pins is something that I think we should all look into if buying CF hoods etc. Its a peace of mind type of thing......there will always be someone with a story of how their hood wasnt closed correctly because of a poor latching system and flew open while driving......hood pins dont look all that great either but you wont have to worry about your hood flyin up on the freeway...

choice is yours
Old 11-12-05, 05:08 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

My choice of hood has nothing to do with "JDM Bling." My hood is perfect. The finish is smooth an glossy (with a real UV clearcoat), the carbon weave is flawless, the fitment is excellent, and no hood pins are neccesary. I paid more for a QUALITY, PERFORMANCE product and I'm damn happy with it.

If you want quality then you have to be willing to pay for it. If you don't want to spend the money for a decent cf hood, I reccomend sticking to your OEM hood. As I already said, VIS, SEIBON, Raceon products and quality do not go hand in hand. Even if you're lucky enough to get one that fits with minimal work, the finish and weave is horrible and after a few weeks when it gets worse and possibly turns yellow, you will regret spending ANY amount on it.

So yeah....if you really want to "save" your money for a motor, don't waste your time messing around with a cheapie hood. Leave your OEM hood on there. If you are dead set on a carbon hood, be patient and save for something worth putting on your car.....you will be much happier you did.
Old 11-13-05, 01:36 AM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

roo what brand hood do you have where did you get it and how much did it run you?
Old 11-13-05, 10:13 AM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigManne
roo what brand hood do you have where did you get it and how much did it run you?
im not going to come right out and say it, but you get the point...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185216

Quick Reply: CF hood.... yes i searched