SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Alternator Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-01, 08:41 PM
mach_y

Unhappy

I have a '94 SC400 with 105000 miles on it. Tonight I took my wife to dinner, and after dinner drove 3 miles to a store. Walked out the store 15 minutes later and the battery was about 99% drained. Luckily someone helped me get it started using their battery and then hooking mine back up. While driving home I noticed that the headlights would flicker every once in a while, that using the turn signal caused the headlights to dim, and the highbeams came on slow instead of snapping on like they normally do.

Has anyone had a similiar problem or know what the problem is? I am guessing that the alternator is going bad, but in 15 minutes? Also, I remember hearing about the fuel pump leaking onto the alternator a while back, but I will have to wait until daylight tomorrow to check and see if that might be it.

If I do need a new alternator, anyone know where I can get one for less than a new one at the dealership?

Thanks in advance...
Old 07-28-01, 11:49 AM
DickLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do a search

Welcome MACH_Y, this topic has been covered indepth several times.
What usually happens with a SC4 with that mileage is the power steering hose leaks onto the alternator causing it to short out and possibly frying it. Check to see if this is the problems. You may be able to just clean out the alternator but might have to replace it.

Another problem is the negative ground cable connected to the battery. The connections can corrode and provide insufficent grounding which is a common problem with the SC4 and can cause the lights to dim on the dash, the radio to fade out etc.

If it is the power steering hose get ready to pay about 2-3 hundred a hose plus labor. I speak from having my bank account lightened with the same problem.

good luck,

Old 07-28-01, 08:58 PM
mach_y

Default update...

DickLexus, I saw the search function after I posted... I looked at the alternator and power steering pump area as best I could, but there was not much I could see. The areas I could see did not seem to have any leeks...

Well, I had the battery tested today and it came out bad. Replaced the battery and viola! Everything works fine (including no dimming). One of the cells in the battery shorted itself out causing the problem. Couple other things though...

My a/c was recharged a few months back and is empty again... when it was checked, the place said it was leaking towards the front (just an old seal, they replaced for $5). However, they also said that the evaporator core was leaking (around a $800 job parts + labor). After they replaced the seal, and put some 134A in the system, it has been running for about a month now still going cold. Is the evaporator core a problem on these cars, or is my local car shop trying to take an extra $800 from me?

Also, driving home today I heard a flapping noise... I pulled over and the plastic protective sheet under the engine was flapping... a section about 12" by 14" was only holding on by a half inch or so... I pulled it off and have it in the trunk right now. Is that plastic sheeting protecting anything vitally important, or will the car be fine without it?

Thanks again for the help and sorry for so many questions from the new guy

Old 07-29-01, 03:51 AM
GeneK25
Rookie

MACH_Y

I had same problem with my battery a week ago. Put the new one in, checked alternator, no problem since then. If I were you, I will put that plastic back on again. It sort of protecting your engine parts from dirt and water coming from the bottom.

Good luck.
Old 07-29-01, 07:07 AM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Unhappy Plastic on the bottom

I can tell you first hand that if you feel like spending the $$ to replace the plastic you should.

My 93 SC has a pristine/new looking engine compartment (check yours: I bet it looks BRAND NEW in there!) for all it's life. Then about 3 years ago it was dragging and I took both pieces off. Now my engine compartment looks like any other car's after several years. Oh well...I know that from Lexus it's several hundred dollars for the 2 plastic pieces and hardware!

This is not a priority for me, so I'll be the guniea pig and (over the years) will let you'all know if there is ever a problem. So far nothing...keep in mind that the spark plugs, for example, are sealed off and hidden from all the elements in there anyway.

I had a frank discussion with a Lexus technician 2 weeks ago about it and he just said "Well, there really is no specific detriment to leaving it off if you don't mind your engine getting dirty." I asked if it could possibly hurt something long-term, and he couldn't imagine a scenerio where it would hurt the engine. It MAY be there for aerodynamics, but I don't get my car over 80 anymore...so that is moot.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-29-01, 07:47 AM
mach_y

Gene and Whitman,
Thanks for the replies. I have a feeling that the plastic on the bottom has been torn for a while now... the engine compartment is dirty like my previous cars would get. But, I don't mind cleaning it every once in a while to save a couple hundred dollars on a piece of plastic

Anyone out there have their evaporator core start leaking on them? I am getting the impression the local repair shop was out to make some money off a person driving a Lexus
Old 07-29-01, 03:00 PM
reLEXin247
Rookie

Hey guys,

After looking under my sc400, it looks like the alternator sits kinda low. If it rains really hard or you drive through a deep puddle, you might get water on the alternator which could cause major problems since water conducts electricity. just my $.02
Old 07-29-01, 06:34 PM
rhart00
Pole Position

does anyone know where I can buy a high output aftermarket alternator?

Ryan