SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Broke into my car - Passenger Window

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-05, 01:30 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broke into my car - Passenger Window

So here's a quick summary of what happened, I'll explain more tomorrow. I park my car at about 10-10:15PM, I come back at about 12-12:15AM. I'm like "Did I leave my window open", move over, step in glass. Oh ****.

My stereo's ripped out, wires hanging everywhere (Yes the $1000 Pioneer DVD Radio). I called the police and by the time they got there this is what I had realized, my stereo was laying on my back seat, intact. And on top of that the only thing missing are my checkbooks. My radar detector is still up there, my parking pass, my sunglasses, the 2 beers I had, nothing is taken except the 2 checkbooks.

I couldn't figure out why, the cops didn't know why and all the fingerprints were smeard so they couldn't get any. Either way my heart lit up $1000 more when I realized my stereo was just laying in the back seat.

I think maybe somebody walked up while they were doing it so they ditched it but man...this sucks, but then again I'm glad I'm not out $1000. My dad's to cheap to have any insurance on my car other than liability. He's already backed into it and this has happened!!! Thats aobut $2000 right there, the window's not going to be cheap since I need it replaced before I drive back from college too!!!

What freaks me out now is where am I going to park that I can feel safe??? I wnat to get a car alarm but in the end I know that won't help if somebody's determined.
Old 11-20-05, 02:11 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey man, I'm sorry about that -- I feel your pain, but all in all, it could have been a whole lot worse, eh?

a few suggestions:

If you're going to buy over 1K in audio equipment (not a regular maintenance item )

1) Don't you think you could afford to pay for the insurance coverage needed?

2) Don't you think a paging car alarm would be a good investment? If he got scared by someone else, a car alarm flipping out and you running at him (or her!) like a raving lunatic should do the trick nicely.

Just my two pennies.

John
Old 11-20-05, 03:49 AM
ev0ti0n
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SupraCoup3
Hey man, I'm sorry about that -- I feel your pain, but all in all, it could have been a whole lot worse, eh?

a few suggestions:

If you're going to buy over 1K in audio equipment (not a regular maintenance item )

2) Don't you think a paging car alarm would be a good investment? If he got scared by someone else, a car alarm flipping out and you running at him (or her!) like a raving lunatic should do the trick nicely.

Just my two pennies.

John
Unless he's more so of a lunatic and has a gun.
Old 11-20-05, 05:11 AM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to pay for full coverage insurance, there is no way around this.. How do you think you would have felt if there was only glass and no car? Then what would you do? My car has spent its entire life parked in a locked garage, it has a top of the line, 2 way alarm, and I am still very paranoid about someone ****ing with it..
Old 11-20-05, 05:13 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

yea that happened to me a few weeks ago. everything was stock in my car so the dudes my phone charger insurance paid for my glass and i had the tint redone

Last edited by legendary; 11-20-05 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Language. Do not try to go around the language editor. Thanks
Old 11-20-05, 06:51 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Best advice for you as a college kid: Don't have a $1000 stereo.
Old 11-20-05, 07:07 AM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

sucks dude sorry to hear that
Old 11-20-05, 07:27 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Originally Posted by SupraCoup3

a few suggestions:

Just my two pennies.

John
I'm 18 and in college. My dad pays for the insurance on the car not me. I know I'm going to sit down and convince him when I get home for Thanksgiving this is needed.

Yeah, thats the only thing I can think of...don't have nice ****. I'd like to figure out a way to make the fake covers like you had OLT. Maybe I'll work on that later.
Old 11-20-05, 08:56 AM
Streamline
Pole Position

The worse part is...this thief knows where your car is. He can always come back for it.

Your best bet, is to raise the insurance coverage on it. In fact, get your own coverage, rather than rely on your parents (get a job to cover this). Also, get an alarm system. It may not stop the actual theft of your stuff, but it will at least deter an amateur.

Consider swapping out your $$$$$ DVD radio to one that is cheaper.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-05, 10:37 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow...sorry to hear that man.... Yeah my mom reversed into my car too.........TWICE!..... once to my es about a year ago and once to my sc about a month ago. I know it hurts the pockets I do have full coverage but honestly sometimes it's just not even worth going through insurance....there's the 500 deductible and when the job cost about 6 or 700 you don't even want to go through with it because your scared your insurance will go up.....Your insurance isn't suppose to go up with a "hit and run" but when you file it with them 1 too many times i heard that it does go up. SO... i'm not steering you away from getting full coverage because YOU DO NEED it but i just wanted to throw something in there you should think about too.
Old 11-20-05, 10:52 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

I know I need full coverage. Its convincing my dad I need it, because even if I have the money to pay for the additional insurance he won't add it because he says that I don't need it, its too expensive and he says I can't pay for it.

I'd insure the car myself but I can't afford to do that bymyself with full coverage on everything. My dad pays $750 every 6 months as it is, but if I did it myself it would be more like $1200 every 6 months plus collision + comprehensive, so even more.

I'll be riding my dad to get this insurance, or else HE can be MY insurance next time this happens. Which he's already proven he can't pay out, he backed into my car in August did $1500 of damage and we still haven't gotten it fixed yet.
Old 11-20-05, 12:38 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Pencil it out and see for yourself

Whatever you guys in college are studying, it sure doesn't look like it's finance because if it was, you'd realize that Daddy has the correct long-run perspective on this issue (as does Brian).

On the average, comprehensive insurance is not cost-effective on cars that are as old as ours.
Old 11-20-05, 01:04 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
Whatever you guys in college are studying, it sure doesn't look like it's finance because if it was, you'd realize that Daddy has the correct long-run perspective on this issue (as does Brian).

On the average, comprehensive insurance is not cost-effective on cars that are as old as ours.

Thanks for the insult. I realize collision might not be cost effective, however I believe that comprehensive would.

However now looking back on the issue, its $40 more for comprehensive, and $140 mofr for collision on the premium. However, in the last year it would have been a cost-effective measure due to the $1500 dent along with however much it will cost to get this window replaced.

What worries me the most is while I have money to live off of everyday and buy things with, I don't have a large amount saved, and neither does my FATHER, his income is stretched to the limits every month. But I would rather get a job to pay for the extra insurance than be stuck with NOTHING if something were to happen to my car.

I've already called one place and they told me $490 with parts & labor. There HAS to be a cheaper place than that. My dad's escape got its window broken out last year and it was $250 for a rear window that came with the tint in the glass, along with the window trim-peice!!!

I'd go to a junkyard and do it myself but I don't have the time to, the tools while I'm here.
Old 11-20-05, 01:08 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want to keep all your high dollar toys on the car, then at least invest in an alarm... spend the $200-300, and get a good one. i can sleep through anything, but if my alarm goes off durring the night, the little pager wakes me up. and considering i park my car right under my bedroom window, it would be an easy shot. i used to keep it garaged, but i no longer have the option since i moved... much like you, i have to leave my car outside. im fortunate to have it blocked on 3 sides, so there is only 1 way to get to it, but if your parking on campus, try to find a place thats a bit more secured.. and well lit.

and did they ever open the door?? i was under the impression that the factory alarm would go off if any door was unlocked from the inside, or trunk or hood poped.

as for getting it fixed... i had my pass. window broken out about a year ago... my regulator broke when the glass was hit, then the glass shattered. allstate wanted to pay no more then $530 and Lexus wanted about $1040 to fix both. i ended up taking the $530 check, paying my $250 deductable, and getting the window and regulator replaced by an independant body shop for only $325 total. so i got most of my deductable back anyways. oh, i also had removed the door pannel and cleaned all the glass out to make it easier for them to fix.
Old 11-20-05, 01:14 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

The door on my car wasn't opened, just the glass shattered. I believe they may have been going for the trunk too if they had heard my subs. I probably didn't realize how they resonated throughout the garage and drew attention. Luckily with the car locked, the trunk release is disabled.

Hopefully this place tomorrow won't be over $300. they're going to work me in since I'm "out of town". The guy I talked to today said they had all the windows in their warehouse except the passenger one, but their sure a warehouse around the city would have one they could get to tomorrow.

I will be investing in a 2-way alarm this week. Any suggestions on kinds. I remember reading that Best Buy's alarm prices include installation so I was thinking about going there. Any suggestions. I'll do a little more research later on into them.

Quick Reply: Broke into my car - Passenger Window