SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
Supra
38.89%
SC300
61.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

What choice should i make help me out? (Supra or SC300)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-05, 06:43 AM
legendary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jstyles129
Your right but i would still have my dream car, and there will be a turbo on it sooner or later. And an sc will never be a supra no matter how hard i could try.
You know, you might have to eat those words:
Click Here
The car in that video is this one:

There are so many SCs that are running high 700 - 800 whp.....heck, I am sure you would be fine with 400whp....and still be in a Lexus. I don't agree....I love the Supra, but the chance to have a sleeper, and be sexy is more appealing IMO.

But as far as buying the car salvage, I would not do it. What was it salvaged for? What are they asking on price? If it was like dirt cheap, I would consider it (just remember you won't get none of that back when trying to sell -so you buy it, don't think about flipping it - most folks run from salvage, and especially if you are asking for grip. I don't car it has 2000whp, you are not going to get what you put in, nor will anyone want to pay near what you want.
Old 11-21-05, 07:36 AM
Gibenstein
Pole Position

^ from the quote I dont think he meant a sc300 cant make power like a supra, I think hes trying to say a supra is well ....... a supra.
From your posts it sounds like you already made your decision. I am going through this same dilema. Here are some factors I have put in :

Supra
Pro's: You have a supra , you have your dream car , you can always swap the motor to a gte and still use the na drivetrain (although I heard the w58 is usually rated to go around 400rwhp ,of course I heard people going higher but thats the general number I hear when they go out, also this swap can be completed under 5k , thats just going gte on a n/a), and the supra is sporty and rare.

Cons: Cop/thief/vandal attractor , expensive parts for the 2jz , if you want to swap to the 6spd it will cost you a GOOD chunk of change (just for the vg160 its around 2k~ and that doesnt include the diff , driveshaft , etc etc I think usual conversion is like 5-10k~, but there is also a thread on supraforums and here I think of a person who made writeup on how to change out some stuff to make the w58 as strong as the r154 w/o trying to hunt down and just buying a soarer r154), and there are probably more cons but these are off the top of my head. On a personal note one downfall that I have on this subject is the fact I would spend 10g's ! at lowest for a 10 year old car and 100k+ miles on it when I can get a auto sc for around 5 and have a extra 5 to mod (1jz swap , minor bolt on's like exhaust , fmic , etc etc).

SC300
Pro's: Luxury to the extreme, still a beautiful car for todays standards , total sleeper, you can get a 1jz swapped for usually around or under 2k (w/o clip) and make good amounts of power with bolt on's, did I mention its a lexus which equals luxury

Cons: Smaller community (this can be a pro or con but I like to hang around with people who have the same car as me), Cant really think of anything else right now besides the fact that if you do buy/keep your sc300 you might have regrets down the road (sry dont mean to be a downer its just the way I think of it)

All in all my vote is................. the supra.... I bought my rx-7 over a supra(my dream car is also a supra, I only bought the rx7 cuz I got a good deal on it, but I still want a supra) and everyday I live in regret over it. anyways good luck on your decision

Last edited by Gibenstein; 11-21-05 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-21-05, 07:44 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Nerpie
Whichever one you choose, dont get a car with a salvage title on it. There are enough sc300, and supras out there to find yourself a nice car without the salvage title on it.

Here are some pros and cons...

Cons : expensive to fix/maintain, clean 5spd harder to find, heavy

You can't go wrong with either car. The same blood runs through the veins of both cars. That being said, I'll vote for the Lexus. After all, this is a LEXUS forum.

From what I read the weight difference is not that much less than a 100lbs i think between Supra and SC300.
Old 11-21-05, 07:50 AM
AURELIOMK3
Pole Position

well my 2 cents are that a sc300 is a great plateform casue the supra is such a high demand that the sometimes the price is over priced just casue its a supra so if your looking in performance i say a sc300 is the way to go cause with the money you save in buying a sc300 you can put into a full 2jzgte swap but if you really want the supra i woud get a tt supra cause a supra has alot to live up with just by driving a supra but really its all perefence good luck
Old 11-21-05, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok.. 1995 SC300 vs 1995 Supra N/A... (and I'm including the turbo for fun )

The original MSRP on the SC is $41,380.
The original MSRP on the Supra is $37,297(n/a), $46,997 (turbo)

The Base True Market Value is around $7,374 for the SC
And the supra is $12,316 (n/a), $18,976 (turbo)
(I know these prices may not be accurate but it's from autotrader)

Horsepower
SC:225hp @6000 rpm
Supra: 220hp @5800 rpm
Supra Turbo: 320hp @5600 rpm

Torque
SC: 210 ft-lbs @ 4800 rpm
Supra: 210 ft-lbs @ 4800 rpm
Supra Turbo: 315 ft-lbs @ 4000 rpm

Gas Mileage (Hwy/city)
SC: 23/18
Supra: 24/18
Supra Turbo: 23/19 (what? the turbo eats less in the city??? nevermind)

Curb weight
SC: 3506 lbs
Supra: 3215 lbs
Supra Turbo: 3415 lbs

Wheel base:
SC: 105.9 inches
Supras: 100.4 inches

Fuel Capacity:
SC: 20.6 gallons
Supras: 18.5

Personally I wouldn't mind getting both cars. The SC for luxury and the supra for sport. If you want a cool looking key, the SC. If you want attraction, the supra.. dang.. both cars are so sweet... can't decide... I know how you feel now... gotta...have... both...
Old 11-21-05, 10:29 AM
Nerpie
Rookie

Originally Posted by cherplex
From what I read the weight difference is not that much less than a 100lbs i think between Supra and SC300.

More like 300 pounds... Thats like having a VERY fat friend in the car...

To the OP, you gotta ask yourself, can you really afford to upgrade your car to the way you want it? 2k for an engine swap doesn't seem like much to some, but it might be for you. If you do have the money, Upgrade on!

I see so many people getting cars for its "potential", and not being able to afford the car, never mind the mods. BIG horsepower = BIG money

Last edited by Nerpie; 11-21-05 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-21-05, 01:45 PM
Tramix
Lead Lap

picking between a supra and a sc is a hard thing to do. one is a sports car and the other a luxury sports car. having a luxury car alone should make u happy. but then think it can have the same amount of ***** as any other supra out there. if it comes down to just the style of the car then thats all on u. the sc will come on up of the supra anyway u think about it.

u wont get all 3: speed, looks, and luxury in a supra. but in a SC u will.
Old 11-21-05, 04:07 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Performance: - Since they are both n/a cars, neither one of them have a big advantage over the other. The Supra has a slightly shorter wheelbase and a tad lighter. Edge: Supra

Looks: - The Supra would turn ALOT more heads than an SC would ever will. Due to Fast and Furious, almost everyone either thinks that its fast or heard that its fast. The Supra, if clean, would look exotic if its dropped on nice deep dish rims Edge: Supra

Intangibles: - The Lexus serves its intended purpose well as a luxury cruiser. The n/a Supra doesnt live up to its legendary reputation. Its just a crappy feeling to have a car that most people guess that it can produce 600+ hp while its only making 200 hp in reality. Edge:SC

Last edited by xknowonex; 11-21-05 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-21-05, 04:15 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

very very tough choice
jstyles, what's up man? Let me weigh in here and see if I can help.

What's your driving style? How old are you? Do you have children? Will this be your only car? How does insurance vary between the 2 vehicles in your area?

I'd say if you're young and single with no kids and a job that would afford you the ability to hook-up the Supra then go for it. But if you're in a slightly older sect and you want a vehicle that is more luxurious go for the SC. I personally wouldn't want a Supra as my one and only car, not as a daily driver. I'm more into the lux amenities than the speed factor.

It all depends on your intentions and your lifestyle
Old 11-21-05, 04:22 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

My friends brother has a twin turbo automatic supra with some Blitz rims and I rode in it before. As far as luxuriousness goes, I dont think our SC beats it by that far. Yes, we have wood trim and other misc things. The Supra doesnt ride taht bad either.
Old 11-21-05, 06:24 PM
jstyles129
Lead Lap

Thanks alot guys. I am 23 and i have 2 kids and this would be my daily driver the thing is my kids are young and can fit in the rear hopefully. I no the lexus is luxurios I have one right now black on black automatic. Its just that the supra is just so nice and rare, while the sc is a beatiful car by any means but it just doesnt have that aggressive feel to it. Thats why im asking becasue i want a 5-speed which is the lexus but i also want a supra, because its just my dream car. The prices on both are 7500 for the sc5-speed 119+++ MILES and the supra AT with 111000 for 8000. I mean i can always find a sc for this price but not a supra. What would you do????????
Old 11-21-05, 06:54 PM
willyjenki
Driver School Candidate

Yeah it is very luxurious, but i need something a little bit mre sporty. I will also get way more looks in the supra then i would an sc. Dont get me wrong i love them both but im leaning towards the supra, its just 10 times more sexier than the sc stock. Thats just my opinion.

if you spend the money on an sc that you would spend on the supra, you would definetly get the looks you would want and the performance to boot... I know I would!!!
Old 11-21-05, 07:14 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While Supra's have very exclusive sporty look to it on the exterior, the interior is far inferior compared to a SC. I couldn't stand the plastic door panels and the overall plastic interior layout. The stereo is not at all passenger friendly and the car has no cup holders. As far as comfort and driveability, I couldn't sit or drive the Supra for long periods of time, everything just seem so stiff and uncomfortable. Supra seats hold you tighter than SC seats but, it doesn't have enough cushioning IMO. It seats a bit too low and hugs a little too tight for my personal tastes. Comfort and inflated pricing seemingly drove me away from the Supra market. Although, it's a great car if your into lots of speed and sportiness. All in all, comfort and driveability plays a huge role in my book.

Those are strikes I have against personally owning a Supra. I still feel the perfect car is a SC with a 2JZGTE. Comfort, style, speed and luxury all-in-one!

My advice is to figure out whats more important to you and narrow your choice down with that. Whatever choice it might be, it'll be a good one since they are both very solid cars!
Old 11-21-05, 08:22 PM
C-Train
Lead Lap

it seems you really want the supra

get the supra
Old 11-21-05, 09:03 PM
nasc300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by C-Train
it seems you really want the supra

get the supra
yep you would not be happy in the loong run with the SC. It's all in the mind.

Quick Reply: What choice should i make help me out? (Supra or SC300)