SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Modding N/A SC300 upto ~300hp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-01, 10:48 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay, what do you think? I have a '97 SC300 Automatic. Would this put me in ~300 hp?

Swift Racing intake + ecu
AEM cam gears
Greddy MX exchaust (??)
Unorthodox Pulleys
Unorthodox Flywheel

What are the down sides of doing these mods named above? Could I possibly do something else? Reliability is important to me.

Also, does the SC300 have Supra shocks and springs or would my stock suspetion be better than Supra's stock suspention? I got a friend selling his shocks, sway bar (rear and front), and springs.

I figured I will build up the engine before I get a turbo. I still have 20k miles to go till the warranty expires.
Old 07-29-01, 06:24 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember if you get the cars ECU upgraded, usually the programming adds a couple degrees of advance timing to the engine. If you put a turbo or nitrous on your engine, and the timing has been advanced, you've got a pretty good chance of saying "goodbye" to that engine!

I think the only way to get true 300hp from the NA motor would be to do major internal mods. There are multiple companies that make stroker kits for this engine, to take it to 3.3 or 3.4litres. They have well balanced cranks and the such, and then you could get everything ported and polished to get more HP.

But remember also that 99% of these mods are going to void your warranty

SR
Old 07-29-01, 08:31 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by CmputerWiz
Remember if you get the cars ECU upgraded, usually the programming adds a couple degrees of advance timing to the engine. If you put a turbo or nitrous on your engine, and the timing has been advanced, you've got a pretty good chance of saying "goodbye" to that engine!

I think the only way to get true 300hp from the NA motor would be to do major internal mods. There are multiple companies that make stroker kits for this engine, to take it to 3.3 or 3.4litres. They have well balanced cranks and the such, and then you could get everything ported and polished to get more HP.

But remember also that 99% of these mods are going to void your warranty

SR
LOL. Yes, I thought about this. ECU from SwiftRacing is designed for N/A only. It also comes with an intake which I won't need with a turbo. So some of these mods will have to come off when I decide to go turbo. I think this is a good way to put a little kick into the car while having the warranty. When something happens, I'll take off the mods and viola. No sir, this is 100% stock car .
Old 07-30-01, 05:09 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Ya my warranty company said the same thing about mods...that the contract states "Any modification of the vehicle outside of the manufacturers specs."

I was *****ing at the guy on the phone, and he said "we can void your warranty if you put a different brand of brakes on the car or different brand of air filter, so tread lightly." I promptly told him to shove it up his a$$, and I'm headed to the dealer this afternoon to get my money back on the warranty. It only cost me $350 out of pocket for the repairs, so I'm not worried. The $2k I'll get back is WELL worth it! lol

SR
Old 07-30-01, 09:58 AM
lxxxs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unforntunately ur gonna have to do a littl emaore than just what u mentioned to get 300hp n/a.
that is what i have now. im at about 289hp on a hot day.

i have a complete head job w/ ss valves and dual electric fans, cam gears, ignition, super afc, ect, ect.....
but ull deff need more than what u mentioned. but it is possible, and ull be a much better off when u turbo.

and go w/ a jun flywheel its cheaper and lighter, thats what i have.
Jc
Old 07-30-01, 10:10 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

lxxxs.....what settings are you using on your S-AFC? Curve and the such...

Tx!
SR
Old 07-31-01, 09:26 AM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Question flywheel on an automatic?

I've heard of lightened flywheels on manuals, but auto? For the manual, there are pros and cons. The revs up are quite a bit faster, but then again so are the revs down. If you go too light on the flywheel, you might have issues with engaging the clutch as you normally would from a stop and even make driveability suffer.

Last edited by mdfdsc300; 07-31-01 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-01-01, 05:08 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

just buy a toyomoto turbo kit and spend $5500 and have over 300 rwhp...no intake....cam gears or pulleys needed..just boost