SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

turbocharging 1992 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-01, 05:46 PM
XX400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

SC400TURBO you are definitely on the right track. I have been thicking about doing exactly the me same thing. I would not replace the foactory radiator with a smaller on due to possible over heating, if you replace the factory fan with a pair of electric fan and relocate the radiator over flow tank there should be enough room. With the exhaust manifold, I was thinking of modifiy the stock ones to dump towards the front or seeing if the will swap from one side to the other in which case it would place the opening to the front also. the simplest way would be like a grand national, leave the stock manifolds and route the exhaust from the rear to the front under the engine and merge them in one collector. Let me know what you think.
Old 08-05-01, 08:11 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Go twin

I'd have to get two of those units that were stock on so many Ford 2.3 motors,with their built in wastegates.
There would be much better efficiency from the heat transfer by being closer to the motor.
Old 08-05-01, 11:26 AM
SC400Turbo
Driver

Default Were on the same track....

I was thinking the same thing. The basic layout of were the turbo with be is like the Turbo Buicks and like you said the grand nationals. You right about replacing the radiator with a smaller one. But I’m considering moving the stock one forward to the bumper side, then the FMIC will lay in front of that. With the bodykit I plan on getting both the Radiator and FMIC should fit fine. I’m not sure if this is really necessary. There might be enough room just by replace the stock fan. But the way I see it is, the more room I make the easier it will be to work on. I like the twin electric fan idea. I was just thinking of one slim fan, but yes there is plenty of room for 2. About the exhaust manifold, when I first took a look at the manifold, I though , “wow, this is even easier than I thought! I can keep the stock manifolds then just fabricate a U-bend and route it to the front, going under the motor.”. The only problem is there no room between the motor and this Thick Steel Support Beam going from the left to the right of the car. I’m not sure what you call it. If I were to do it that way the U-Bend would have to go under the Beam and then back up under the motor then merge them. My worry with this design is that when I lower my car the pipe might hit the road and dent and maybe damage the manifold. I’ll have to look at it again and see. It would be the easiest way! If you get a chance take another look under the car and tell me if you agree or you still see that its possible. I really like the swapping of the manifolds idea. If the ports and screw holes match, then I think that would the best way. I’m going to buy the manifold gaskets just to get a better idea. Thanks a lot for the info XX400!
Old 08-08-01, 06:31 PM
XX400
Rookie

Thumbs up

I'll let you know I soon as I get a chance , been kind of busy lately plus this heat ain't cute. Let me know if you want to meet up some time I live in Nw Dade. xrturbo@yahoo.com
Old 08-08-01, 08:40 PM
Carboxy
Rookie

Default strut bar for sc400

I've been trying for months to find a strut bar for a 93 SC400. Any suggestions? Can I buy it for a SC300 and modify it to fit my sc400?
R
Old 08-09-01, 02:40 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

carboxy - I am currently developing one SPECIFICALLY for the SC300 and the SC400 (and the SC430)...it'll be around soon!
Old 08-17-01, 07:17 AM
UZZ32
Pole Position

The engine computer will not handle a turbo or supercharger on the V8. You would have to send your ECU to MiNes in Japan to get it modified. You cannot rechip or modify the ECU, it is locked down tight. An aftermarket computer will run the engine ok but then the transmission would not change gears - it is driven by the ECU. You can use a transmission computer from a 7M-GTE (they had separate engine and trans computers) and splice it in to the aftermarket computer (say an Apexi Power FC) - but this requires expertise and patience.
A lot of money is needed to get the computer right.
Old 08-18-01, 06:17 PM
XX400
Rookie

Question

If you were to draw air thru the airflow meter and supplement with additional injectors like they do in the sc 300 it should work, why would it be any diffrent . Which sensor would throw off the computer?
Old 08-18-01, 08:07 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Arrow S-AFC is nice and easy

If you have bumped up the air inflow, then install an Apexi S-Afc, very easy and with an Air Fuel meter, you can do most tweeking easily. Takes a weekend if you have installed a car stereo before.

An absolute hp gain.
Old 08-18-01, 08:29 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Arrow S-AFC is nice and easy

If you have bumped up the air inflow, then install an Apexi S-Afc, very easy and with an Air Fuel meter, you can do most tweeking easily. Takes a weekend if you have installed a car stereo before.

An absolute hp gain.
Old 08-18-01, 10:12 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

To put 6psi into a high compression V8 using a supercharger will need new fuel and ignition maps for optimum running. Under high boost the timing is retarded for instance. I don't think extra fuel squirted in during high boost is enough. I've done none of this myself - it is all coming from magazine articles where a Soarer/SC400 is being supercharged/turbocharged and they all have problems with the standard computer. The Apexi S-Afc was handy for use with a cold air intake or a cone filter but not enough for big horsepower applications. The use of interceptor computer modules (piggyback style) to alter the fuel/ignition maps looks to be another promising development. Then for imported Jap cars there is the issue of fuel cut defenders, boost control and speed limiters - there are add on modules for each but then the price approaches that of a new ECU. Our imported Jap V8's won't go over 179 km/hr (112mph). They cannot be rechipped either. You have to use an interceptor module or a new ECU.
Do the US spec SC400 have a speed limiter?
I see the Swift racing air intakes come with a chip - anyone know if this will work with a Jap spec computer? My V8 Soarer came straight from Japan and the computer seems to stop most development in its tracks. Although it does have a TV, GPS nav, leather, four wheel steer and Active Hydropneumatic Suspension (no springs, no shocks, no swaybays - just Yaw sensors, computers and oil rams - stays dead flat no matter how hard you corner or brake, the TRC and 4ws also stop the back from skipping out).
Anyway getting off the track a bit there - look forward to the Swift supercharge package - who will be the first to try it?
Old 03-31-03, 02:53 AM
AussieSoarer
Driver School Candidate

Heres how I am gunna do it on a UZZ30 Soarer....Has no Air suspension,so it gives me more room....First Aftermarket ECU (Wichever you like)then a Twin Throttle body (front feed) Remove air con system (makes room for intercooler and pipeing)have Manual steering rack made up..now with them gone I can run the turbo feed pipes upto the front were the air comp and pwr steer pump used to be..(Use my be lucky over there as you can get the mounting for the altenator from the Lexus Coupe (it is up top in the middle...Now you have a fair bit of room between the block and chassis...then you can plumb the dump pipes/exhaust back through there and out the back...2 turbos feeding to the side on a split intercooler,coming back up and exiting from the top to the twin throttles (now you see why ya need aftermarket ecu) (No Air Mass sensor) use MAP sensor...
Old 03-31-03, 05:16 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by UZZ32
- look forward to the Swift supercharge package - who will be the first to try it?
Pete,

What happened to Andy's Supercharger he was working on? Thought you were gonna get one of those?

Just curious as I was hoping to get one too.

Last edited by Keith13b; 04-01-03 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-31-03, 01:25 PM
AussieSoarer
Driver School Candidate

Keith..Its Andrews Blower....He is in production with them now......$7,000 Aus for the kit,,ready to bolt on..Mine is on its way...Hes just casting manifolds for it at this moment then its on its way...
Attached Thumbnails turbocharging 1992 SC400-5103.jpg  
Old 03-31-03, 01:37 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by AussieSoarer
Keith..Its Andrews Blower....He is in production with them now......$7,000 Aus for the kit,,ready to bolt on..Mine is on its way...Hes just casting manifolds for it at this moment then its on its way...
where do I buy this?

Quick Reply: turbocharging 1992 SC400