SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

turbocharging 1992 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-01, 12:52 PM
n2w813

I've been looking on the internet and I can't find anywhere that sells turbochargers for a 92 lexus sc 400, Anyone know where I can find one
Old 07-30-01, 10:59 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you probably wont find one anywhere. the only way you can get a turbo for your SC400 is if you get it custom fabricated. which will cost you BOTH of you nuts(if your're a guy).
Old 07-31-01, 10:09 AM
SC400Turbo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool SC400Turbo

I'm in the process of turbocharging my 1993 SC400. I've done alot of research into it and now its just a matter of time and money. I recently put a post on the Supraforums inquiring about it like about a month ago and got some good info. Mainly about the the durability of the motor. I'll post the link as soon as supraforums comes back online.

Alot of people say it will cost you a arm and a leg to do but I say it depends on how you plan on doing it.
There are 2 types of people when it comes to modifying cars.
1) Those who are mechanically inclined and do 'most' the work themselves.
2) Those who are not as mechanically inclined and choose to have a shop do almost all the work.

Before I describe the 2 I just want to let you know that there is nothing wrong with being either one.

If you are type1 and you have the basic knowledge of how engine works and turbocharged system works then it wont cost you that much. And assuming you know people who specialize in different areas In the performance industry that can fabricate the different pieces then you just put them together.

If you are type2 then you not so sure about how things work or have minimal knowledge of cars or turbocharging. You could probably get away with installing a turbokit if everything was provided. But unfortunatly there isnt a mass produced kit for the sc400. These type of people are the type to hand the car off to a modifier like toyomoto, mechtech or swiftracing along with a $15,000 - $30,000 check and say "I want a 400-800hp turbocharged car".

So if you are type 2, yes you will pay ALOT of money to turbocharge your SC400.

If you are type 1 then the cost pretty much boils down to the parts you buy and custom fabrication of some exhaust and intercooler piping. Remember you are doing most of the labor.

I have a list put together with everything it would take to turbo a sc400. I will post it on my website http://www.sc400turbo.com as soon as I can. This is a quick list I put together now so you can get an idea of what it what you need and what it would cost to build a basic turbo system for your sc400. Its based on a single turbo design I put together after reviewing my sc400 engine bay for like 1 hour. You will have to relocate a few things in order to fit a turbo system on a SC400, it is pretty tight in some areas. But if you are creative enough im sure you can find plenty of room. Remember this is strict performance not rims, paint and bodykits:

Garret Turbo - $1000
Air Filter - $100
Wastegate - $400
Blow Off Valve - $400
Front Mount Intercooler - $400
Custom Exhaust Manifold - $1000
Upper IC Piping - $300
Lower IC Piping - $300
Exhaust Muffler(Single) - $300
Exhaust Piping - $300
Addition injector - $300
Addition Injector Controller - $500
EGT Gauge - $300
Air/Fuel Gauge - $300
Misc( Just for the hell of it ) - $1000
Total - $6900

Wow $6900! Thats far from $15,000-$30,000K:eek:
I'm sure with a basic setup like this you could easily make 400-500 rhp on 10psi. You could always take the system to the next level and install a thick head gasket to lower the compression, and boost more, make more power. Or even furthur and build the motor, haltech or motech etc...

Remember you car will only be as good as your work and tuning. So if you your not a type2 then save your pennys or pray for a kit to come out soon.

If you have any questions or need some help email me at LexusSC400Turbo@hotmail.com
Old 08-01-01, 05:32 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

in theroy it sounds great...but why hasnt anyone else done it....there are plenty of type 1 and 2 personalitys out there that own sc400s and none have made that type of hp.....only lexus v8 in the states to make the kind of hp in a street car is swift with a supercharged gs400 and he has had problems even with a built motor...he has had head gasket issues...so what makes ya think a stock sc400 motor will handle that hp?..also what are you gonna do for a tranny?....
as for people going to companies to do there cars...or type 2 personalitys...there are some of us who dont mind paying extra to have it done right the 1st time...and not go through the motor over and over agian...i have been modifying imports since 92 and have learned 1 thing is for sure...you get what you pay for....now if you feel you have the room.....and the knowledge to do this i applaud you...and wish you all the luck in the world...and look forward to running you when your done
Jeff
Old 08-01-01, 09:58 AM
SC400Turbo
Driver

Default My view

Hey Jeff,
I think its a little more than just a theory. The fact is almost any car 4,6,8 cyl can be turbocharged to make more power. And to turbocharged one car is no different than turbocharging another when it comes to what parts are needed and other requirements. There are a few different routes you can take but essentially it’s the same. Figuring out how you will put the turbocharged system in the car will change from car-to-car. As every car has different shape and space. Even if the turbos and piping have to stick out of the hood, it can be done. Now whether the car engine can take the beating is a different story. That will also vary from car to car. Assuming the engine is of a good design and durability it should be able to handle a decent about of additional power. The supraTT motor is a perfect example. I have enough confidence in Lexus/Toyota motors to move forth with the project. I don't know why swiftracing was unsuccessful in modifying the GS400 with a built motor. There could have been many factors involved. It could have been bad tuning? I'm not sure. As far as the motor taking the beating we can refer back to the Supra forums post I put a while back. Several members claimed the car could handle a good amount of power. And what about the 2000hp twin supercharged land speed car running the Lexus V8? Their head gasket held on just fine. Someone mentioned a powerboat in Australia push 800hp on stock internals. People have done it, just not you typical street Lexus. Mechtech has done a few SC400 wit ha basic turbocharged system. They are pushing somewhere in the area of 320 whp on like 6 psi, http://www.mechtech-ms.com/html/turbo.html .Now if you are a type 2 person they maybe you answer, for about $17,000K. But for 17K 320whp is hardly worth it.
I'm not sure about the tranny, I will deal with that issue after I can make the power. I agree with you, you do get what you pay for. As a type 1 personality I would like save a good $10,000 and bolt on the manifold, install the headgasket, injectors, etc... myself . Did I mention my next-door neighbor is a mechanic for Lexus of Kendall, lol? Yea so that will help as well... In the areas that I know are beyond my knowledge or abilities, then I will pay for a professional to do. But other wise I can do it. I would personally get more satisfaction from doing most of the work myself. We may disagree on whether it can be done or if the engine can hold the power, but one thing is for sure, "I also look forward to running you!". Thanks for the luck!

Again I meant no offense in my description of type1 and type 2 personalities.
Old 08-01-01, 11:34 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

i understand what your saying and agree any motor can be turbocharged....and agree it can be done but i know guys with 100 shot of nos blowing the V8......as for the 2jz..it was designed to handle boost and high hp...the V8 was built for smoothness and decent hp..but N/A hp...dosent it have an aluminum block...i dont know what the land speed guys did to the motor to make it handle that hp but im sure it wasnt cheap...

i hope this thing works for you....and i look fwd to seeing it done...ill give you the determination factor you definitly have that going for you.....what ever happened to the GSX?...hows the Mrs and lil one?...Jeff
Old 08-01-01, 11:56 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

I am a type 1 stuck in a type 2 world I understand how turbo systems work, and have full knowledge of what everything does/needs to do and how to install it, but I don't have the garage space, tools, or spare time to do it myself!

Besides, while I know I could do it myself, I know that someone with experience could do it BETTER, and I wouldn't have to be taking things back apart all the time

I was wanting to get a GS400 this winter and do a custom twin SP60 SP63 setup with built motor and a 300~400 shot of nitrous... If you can really get custom manifolds made for $1000 for both then you should start mass producing them and selling them for like $1500, because that is CHEAP! Where would that mount the turbo (I noticed you said only one turbo, so I am curious where they manifold will meet, and the downpipe will go (as well as where the wastegate will fit).

Make sure to let us know how it turns out!

-Ethan
Old 08-01-01, 12:07 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Default Re: SC400Turbo

Originally posted by SC400Turbo

Garret Turbo - $1000
Air Filter - $100
Wastegate - $400
Blow Off Valve - $400
Front Mount Intercooler - $400
Custom Exhaust Manifold - $1000
Upper IC Piping - $300
Lower IC Piping - $300
Exhaust Muffler(Single) - $300
Exhaust Piping - $300
Addition injector - $300
Addition Injector Controller - $500
EGT Gauge - $300
Air/Fuel Gauge - $300
Misc( Just for the hell of it ) - $1000
Total - $6900
and:

Boost Gauge: $200
Fuel Pressure Gauge: $200
In tank Pumps (2 of them probably): $500
Fuel Lines: $?
Probably need 8 injectors, because additional injectors never distribute fuel properly: $1200
Fuel Pressure Regulator: $150
Trans Upgrade (stocker won't hold more than like 350 RWHP): $3000-$3200
Torque Converter: $1200 (with decent stall and strong enough lock up plates to hold a lot of boost)

etc., etc., etc.

It always seems cheaper when you start I started thinking I wouldn't spend more than $20k, and it ended up OVER $40k not including the stereo stuff or the wheels and tires.

Something will always go not quite like planned, so whenever I mod a car in the future (at least if I am going to mod it a lot, and actually want to make a lot of power) I will make sure than I budget what I think it is going to cost, and then have twice that amount of money ready just in case things don't go as planned

-Ethan
Old 08-01-01, 12:15 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

type 1 stuck in a type 2...i agree...i fit the same profile

and as for the rest of it....AMEN!!!!
Jeff
Old 08-01-01, 07:09 PM
banking
Rookie

Exclamation SC400/300 Models > turbocharging 1992 SC400

Greetings!

I think SC400TURBO's theory and ideas on turbocharging a sc400 shows creativity and ingenuity on his part. I have had my share of sleepless nights thinking about different ways that I can do to my sc400 just to make it fast enough for me and to be able to keep up with the big dogs *sc300/turbo* but mainly just for my own satisfaction.
Earlier this year I had done a lot of modifications on my spare engine and transmission with much help from my friends at Lexus of Memphis, Modern Mustang, Exhaust Shop and my wife(checking account) and kids support.
Needless to say my best 1/4 time was a 12.866 at 105.90 mph w/150hp of NOS and stock wheel/tires 16x7. With 200hp of Nos and stock wheel/tires my 1/4 was 12.692 at 110.39 mph.
I had the greatest time working on the car with my friends and the support of my family. But playtime for me is over. I had taken the motor out and put the original back in. My total costs of this wonderful project was around 6,500 to 7,500.00 which could've been used for my kids college fund. But hey you live and you learn. At least I can say that I had a blast racing at the drag strip and looking at the expression of the vette and stang owners when they're getting beat by a Lexus.
But then again I probably had a advantage over their engine setup but what the hell I still beat them. But damnit to hell I cannot to this day beat my bro's Rx7.
I still love my sc400 and in the near future I may purchase another one from ebay to make that a pure scca/drag car with the mod motor in it or take the easy route and buy a 5spd SC300 and turbocharge it to keep up with the bad boys*SC300/turbo owners* and it'll be more reliable in my opinion.
Didn't mean to bore the crap out of you guys.

Take Care,
Van

*Anyone on this site that lives in Hawaii b/c I have a business trip there next week for several months and would like to check out if any member's ride on this site*
Old 08-02-01, 03:39 AM
Sc400on20s
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Van,
I'm here in Hawaii, remember??
give me an email tann@pixi.com
Old 08-02-01, 10:11 AM
SC400Turbo
Driver

Default SC300TURBO Reply

Jeff,
Well hopefully the SC400s engine can handle it. I don’t plan on pushing over 350-400 whp without building the motor anyways. I’m hoping it can atleast handle that. When I plan on pushing more than 400whp then I’ll build the motor. Yes it does have a aluminum block which was a big worry of mine after I found out. But since then I’ve heard that aluminum blocks can handle the power, it’s just not as forgiving as cast iron when it comes to over heating. This is where a good fuel system and tuning comes in. The GSX was sold. It was kind of hard making payments on a new car and modifying it. That was a lesson learned for me. Modifying a new car can be very expensive. So I decided to buy a used car cash and use that monthly car payment towards modifying my new/used car. I was going to get a SupraTT but then I ran into a nice black SC400 for a good price, so I took it. The wife and my daughter are doing great , thanks for asking.

Oh I forgot to mention the “Type 3” personality!
Type 3 can be either a Type 1 or Type 2 that are married and who’s Wife is constantly complaining about us spending money on modifying our cars. This makes it nearly impossible to succeed! LOL Type 3’s if successful, end up spending more money their Type 1s and Type2s counter parts because they have to fork out some extra money to buy their wife’s stuff to keep them from complaining! HaHa .. I’m a Type 3 so be patient with my progress…
Old 08-02-01, 10:33 AM
SC400Turbo
Driver

Default Ebanks Reply

That’s something I would definitely do when I finish my SC400 turbosystem. The guy that would make my manifold knows other people in the industry that can mass-produce the manifold along with the all the piping. Wouldn’t hurt to make a few extra bucks. I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. As far as where the single turbo will go: Turbo will be located between FAN and the Engine. The radiator will have to replaced with a smaller more efficient one and be moved forward. A slim fan will then replace the stock fan. And that makes plenty of room for the turbo. The manifold will look almost the same as the stock one but pushing exhaust in the reverse direction, to the front. If you look at the manifold u will see how it was a flange that connects to the exhaust piping on the rear. So now from the flange on the front, the piping will come along the side of motor. When the piping gets to the front of the motor it will make a 90-degree bend to meet together in the front of the motor, then bend upward and merge into one pipe. Once merged a flange will be there. Now from that flange there's a short straight pipe to the turbo. That’s basically it, but there a lot more involved. Because of the length between the manifold and the turbo, then exhaust piping from the manifold to the turbo and the turbo will have to have addition support and will be braced or connect the motor. This will support the turbo help prevent the piping from cracking or breaking when the engine turns or moves. I will post some of my sketches on my website soon.
Give me your opinion on this layout, if it made any sense to you. Remember there is much more involved that I didn’t mention. Thanks.
Old 08-02-01, 10:46 AM
SC400Turbo
Driver

Default Ebanks Reply

Your right. There were a few this I neglected to mention in the list. I just came up with it from the top of my head. Total cost for an 800whp monster of course would not cost $6K. That list is more of a ‘basic’ turbosystem. Something like what you would find for a NA car after market turbokit. Typically these kits don’t come with Transmission upgrades, torque converter, etc.. My plan is to take it in stages. The first of course being just to slap the system together and put it on.
Then of course when more power is made, I will upgrade what is required. This is the way I see it for my situation, My eclipse cost me 25K, got rid of that. My Lexus cost me 9K, that gives me $16K to blow on the car. Or at least that what I’ve told my wife!
Old 08-03-01, 10:00 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

SC400Turbo,
I applaud your ambition. I would guess the Lexus V8 at 10-1 compression should be able to handle 10psi of intercooled boost providing the fuel and timing are spot on. My guess on power is 400rwhp (up from around 180rwhp stock). I am concerned about your design. I would be VERY cautious in modifying the stock cooling system. Remeber the A/C condenser is ahead of the radiator. Cooling is a SYSTEM that consists of radiator, fans, shouds and ducts. Change one or more and the results must be tested. A failed test under boost would be expensive. There has been great debate and concern over at LS1.com regarding supercharger manufacturers changing fans and shrouds to mount their blowers. Overheating has been a MAJOR issue and PIA for those customers while the twin turbo system with factory cooling is doing just fine even at power levels of 600rwhp. I was heavily involve in turbocharging Mustangs and the placement of choice was to relocated the battery to the trunk and utilize that area for turbo mounting. I would also strongly urge using an internal wastegated turbo to reduce plumbing complexity. The premium unit on the market would be the Garrett GTBB series with the 37 or 40 compressor. They are expensive but VERY efficient and you don't need to buy a wastegate. Here is some info: http://www.capa.com.au/turbos.htm

I have kicked around the idea of mounting 2 turbos very low like this LS1 example:

http://geocities.com/huggerz99/Imga0085.jpg
http://www.fbody.com/members/bruce98f/TTFRONT.jpg
http://www.fbody.com/members/bruce98f/TTFRONT2.jpg

Keep us posted.

Last edited by JBrady; 08-03-01 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: turbocharging 1992 SC400