Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

SC430 VS. a 2006 Model SC400

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-06, 01:19 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
This will certainly not replace the SC430 as both cars are worlds apart and even if the Lexus continued the make the SC400 today, both cars would still be marketed to two different market segments. The SC430 is more of a specialty car-the SC400 is more of a daily driver. Both great cars but completely different cars and the feeling in both is just as different.
I beg to differ...Both cars were specialty cars when each one was manufactured and sold...Both are able to be daily drivers, and the prices were also quite similar...Look at the MSRP of the 2000 SC400...The cars are worlds apart....but not because the SC430 is more of a specialty car than the SC400 was...The SC400 was way ahead of its time in its day, and it is still up to date and even ahead of many cars in most areas...The difference is the SC430 became the next iteration of the model...and they added the new techno features to it as any high end car manufacturer does in their model changes. The SC430 is a great car, and has some great attributes....no question. I still prefer the SC400, and from the cold hard cash I have put into mine, I can assure you my not driving a SC430 has absolutely nothing to do with the purchase price of it. I just like the SC400 that much more...But, each person is certainly entitled to his or her opinion.

Ryan
Old 07-23-06, 01:19 PM
Drocay
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i actually love how long our cars our, it gives us a sleek look that very few cars today have. Wider with 430 interior would just push it to the top.
Old 07-24-06, 05:22 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Drocay
i actually love how long our cars our, it gives us a sleek look that very few cars today have. Wider with 430 interior would just push it to the top.
Ditto, it's the long sleekness that makes the car sexy and timeless. Gives it that exotic-like appearance. What other car out there matches it's sporty sleekness. They all cost hundreds of thousands more. If our car had an upgraded interior, nothing could touch it....nothing!
Old 07-24-06, 06:53 AM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SC430 is a nice car because its a Lexus. That's about the most I can say for it. It definately has some great cutting edge technology.

The SC4/3 is just a timeless design and perhaps the most beautiful car ever made. It truly was an evolution of what cars were prior to.

How these 2 cars share the SC nameplate I will never understand. Like others have said, the 2 cars are designed and marketed to 2 totally different segements of people. As "good" or "nice" of a car the SC430 might be, it is a departure from the Evolution of the SC world, and an insult to SC connoisseurs and the heritage created by the first gen sc.

Other than a vvti engine, the SC did not recieve many of same updates that the LS and GS series recieved, perhaps in anticipation of an entirely new design on the part of Lexus. However, no doubt, if Lexus had not neglected some of the "little" amenities that the SC deserved, it would have maintained to be a major seller. The SC430 is a very trendy car and have seen the desire for this car drop considerably. I have a friend in the leasing business (specializing in luxury and exotics) and he tells me that they can't give away the 430's anymore. The SC is up for revitalization and we will see the new model soon, but I won't expect to see the SC return to it's former glory. The current 430 is a direct competitor to the benz SL, a segment that is important for lexus to preserve their premium luxury image. I have no problem with lexus making a convertable like the gen2, but it should never have taken an SC namebadge.
Old 09-17-06, 01:13 AM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

This whole topic makes me want to go test drive an SC430 and see....

I personally would choose the SC, but only if like another poster mentioned, it was made wider, a few inches shorter, and had a nice modified look to the 97+ body style. Also would have to have an interior closer to the SC430's
Old 09-17-06, 01:29 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I have driven a 430 before and I must say, it is a VERY nice car but it seems to lack the finesse of the '00 and below... It doesn't feel as solid as the 300/400s and the road noise is actually louder it seems. All in all it's a great car though, but I'm all for the older style
Old 09-17-06, 07:59 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
I have driven a 430 before and I must say, it is a VERY nice car but it seems to lack the finesse of the '00 and below... It doesn't feel as solid as the 300/400s and the road noise is actually louder it seems. All in all it's a great car though, but I'm all for the older style
It rides a lot better without those runflats.
Old 09-18-06, 06:14 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

it would be the sc 400 interior needs updating cluster needles should not be flashing too
Old 10-01-06, 06:00 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by VQT
Wow,
Many people still like the old body style...
The reason is that they own one. I owned a new 92 SC400 and now I own a SC430. SC430 is a different car, can't compare them.
Old 10-01-06, 06:48 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC4Hundo
The SC430 is a nice car because its a Lexus. That's about the most I can say for it. It definately has some great cutting edge technology.

The SC4/3 is just a timeless design and perhaps the most beautiful car ever made. It truly was an evolution of what cars were prior to.

How these 2 cars share the SC nameplate I will never understand. Like others have said, the 2 cars are designed and marketed to 2 totally different segements of people. As "good" or "nice" of a car the SC430 might be, it is a departure from the Evolution of the SC world, and an insult to SC connoisseurs and the heritage created by the first gen sc.

Other than a vvti engine, the SC did not recieve many of same updates that the LS and GS series recieved, perhaps in anticipation of an entirely new design on the part of Lexus. However, no doubt, if Lexus had not neglected some of the "little" amenities that the SC deserved, it would have maintained to be a major seller. The SC430 is a very trendy car and have seen the desire for this car drop considerably. I have a friend in the leasing business (specializing in luxury and exotics) and he tells me that they can't give away the 430's anymore. The SC is up for revitalization and we will see the new model soon, but I won't expect to see the SC return to it's former glory. The current 430 is a direct competitor to the benz SL, a segment that is important for lexus to preserve their premium luxury image. I have no problem with lexus making a convertable like the gen2, but it should never have taken an SC namebadge.
The 1st generation SC was a nice car, I had a new 92 SC400. Problem with the 1st gen is that it wasn't a sports car and it did not ride like a luxury car. It's look is dated now and not classic ( I liked it in 92 when I bought one and I'm sure with some work, wider lower tires, etc, it still can be a good looking car). Lexus could not turn it into a convertable because of structural problems. The back seats on the first generation SC were hard to get into and out of and they were not comfortable after you got in. The seats in the 2nd generation are only there for insurance reasons, give the owner a cheaper rate compared to a 2 seater. The SC430 is a total improvement over the SC400, its a 2 seat hardtop convertble luxury car. Very limited production so you don't pass yourself every day on the road. If you like the looks fine if you don't fine, liking a cars looks has always been a matter of opinion, your opinion counts only for you, same as mine does for me. A new issue of one of the car rags has a article on the best looking cars ever made. I doubt that many people would agree on these being the best looking cars, some you like some you don't. I guess the key with Lexus is that the cars are very high quality, extremely reliable and some of the designs are unusual. I've found that good looking women seem to like them
Old 10-02-06, 02:41 AM
sean9975
Lead Lap

my 2006 sc 400
Attached Thumbnails SC430 VS. a 2006 Model SC400-ca10sblx.jpg  
Old 10-02-06, 01:30 PM
Tymboo
Rookie

Default New SC430

If the SC 430 was the same length as the SC 400 That car would be Soooooo Tightttttttttt!!! But its not...Unfortunately It looks like somebody smashed it!! I mean come-on, look at the back seats. Even kids would have a problem sitting back there...Lol..lol..lol..And when the top is down It looks so funny seeing the front and back seats so close together.
Old 10-02-06, 01:54 PM
High PSI
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
Lexus could not turn it into a convertable because of structural problems.
Then how come Toyota could make targa Supra's?
Old 10-02-06, 01:56 PM
High PSI
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sean9975
my 2006 sc 400
Ummm.....nice...
Old 10-02-06, 05:29 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tymboo
If the SC 430 was the same length as the SC 400 That car would be Soooooo Tightttttttttt!!! But its not...Unfortunately It looks like somebody smashed it!! I mean come-on, look at the back seats. Even kids would have a problem sitting back there...Lol..lol..lol..And when the top is down It looks so funny seeing the front and back seats so close together.
"The seats in the 2nd generation are only there for insurance reasons, gives the owner a cheaper rate compared to a 2 seater". The SL500 is the same length as the SC430, it has a rear shelf about the same room that the seats have in the SC430. They put the seats in the back of the SC430 to lower the insurance and make it a "coupe" versus a 2 seater. Saves about 1/2 on the annual premium. Make sense now

Quick Reply: SC430 VS. a 2006 Model SC400