SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Broken things on my SC, common??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-05, 05:00 PM
Lucky Devin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken things on my SC, common??

Hello all, unfortunately I have been having a few niggling problems with my car, and I was just wondering if these were relatively common problems or not. First of all, my car is a '95 300, with 135+k miles on it. Mechanically, the car is sound and there are no complaints. The car has never left me stranded or anything of the like. However, these basically strictly electrical problems are more than a little annoying.

-What prompted me to post this was my power windows suddenly going out only a couple hours ago. Not a good thing as I had my window half-open when it decided to stop, and it's below freezing today here in south Louisiana. Both driver and passenger side just flat out don't work. I had first though, "maybe my window-lock is on", but unfortunately that wasn't the case. When each window button is pushed, there is a sound of the motor (I'm assuming) struggling, a moaning sound from the tired device. I was able to push the window up with my hands while getting a friend to push the button simultaneously, and succeded in putting it up. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas in what the problem would be besides a worn out motor? I wouldn't think it is the fuses or anything since I hear it 'trying' to go up.

-Another problem is my speedomoter. Oh, it works fine, except that the red glow emitting from the needle has gone out. Every other needle in the cluster is shining brightly, only the speedo is out. I can still tell how fast I'm going by looking at which part of the gauge the remnants of the needle is blocking. Do all the needles need to be replaced now?

-Lastly, and probably the most bizarre problem is the apparent schitzophrenia that my air conditioner controls have. Upon switching my air on and off, the controls randomly cycle between the different options, the temperature stays the same, but all of a sudden the air/heat may be blowing on my feet rather than towards my face. This doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, there's nothing I can do to manualy correct it other than turning the car off then back on. What the hell?

Now when I had purchased this car, some 20k miles ago, none of these problems existed at all. I haven't drove through any high water or anything like that to enduce these problems. Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated. Also, I'd like to hear if any of these things have happened to anyone else or not. Thanks.
Old 12-06-05, 05:04 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

You have a weird little gremlin there. The speedo needles can be replaced individually if you find one. The AC problem sounds like the microcontroller inside the unit. The windows are probably a fuse in the driver kickpanel behind he carpet.
Old 12-06-05, 07:02 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

My windows do the same thing. I replaced my driver side regulator but it seems like the motor is weak. Sometimes they will go up fine, sometimes they will go up slow and struggle and sometimes they dont do anything. I found that they will go down fine but wont go up sometimes and get 'stuck'. I was messing with it and got it to go down a little and then immediately hit the up position and it went up fine however. It's weird.
Old 12-06-05, 07:36 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lucky Devin
Hello all, unfortunately I have been having a few niggling problems with my car
Not to start anything but what in the hell does that mean?
Old 12-06-05, 07:55 PM
Lucky Devin
Driver

Originally Posted by SinisterSC
Seriously?

Ooooo k, well it means problems that aren't catastrophic but are annoying.
Old 12-06-05, 09:12 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lucky Devin
Seriously?

Ooooo k, well it means problems that aren't catastrophic but are annoying.
lol nice D
Old 12-06-05, 09:51 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Man y'all don't know nuttin bout dat cher lingo in loooozzziana do ya?
Old 12-06-05, 09:59 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Man y'all don't know nuttin bout dat cher lingo in loooozzziana do ya?
I reckon they dunt.

HAHAHAHAHA...

Ok now. The needles going out is a common problem with the SCs. Its is because of the heat I believe. Mine are all out and Im still looking for stock needles. As for the window..that just sounds like a problem. I know a common problem is in the regulator and there is a thread floating around somewhere that shows you how to fix it. Its usually the little plastic piece that gets stripped. On my car the medal cable that pulls the window up just snapped but the motor is still fine. About the vents..I have heard this happen to a couple SCs so Im assuming that it is a common problem. However I am not quite sure how that can be fixed.
Old 12-06-05, 10:11 PM
Mz L*Tuned
Rookie

Well sounds all too familiar to me!
I had the same issues with my windows not going up, and I would hear like wires tapping into each other on the bottom left near my clutch. I had it checked from one of my mechanic friends and they said that the wires under that foot panel located next to the clutch were tapping into each other. They fixed it and it doesn't have that problem no more.
I could name you a lot of other things wrong with my SC300 but I'll just get depressed
Old 12-07-05, 12:11 AM
duckworth
Rookie

Originally Posted by SinisterSC
i assumed it meant "nagging" problems.........i don't hunt for racism though, so who knows
Old 12-10-05, 10:50 PM
Lucky Devin
Driver

Well, a bit of good news. My windows started working again, flawlessly as of yesterday. As I was preparing to take the door panels off and see if I could find the actual problem, I tried to put the window down just to see if by chance it would come up, and sure enough it did. Both work fine now. Thanks for all of the information anyway, it is much appreciated and I'll know what to do if this is a recurring problem. For the other issues, I'm getting the needle taken care of asap, and the little air conditioner problem isn't serious enough for me to care about right now.

About the comment I made; "niggling", believe me it has no racist background to it, I am a white male married to a beautiful black woman and am the least racist person you will find in south Louisiana
Used in this context it's just a slang term for minor, frustrating problems that aren't extremely serious. Just a little FYI
Old 12-12-05, 07:17 PM
SCV8
Instructor

My A/C surprised me when I was driving the car home(@100mph in the Colorado mountains)) after I purchased it 5 years ago; the A/C started to pump frosty, condensed air onto the windscreen. I just rolled the windows down and cranked up the fan.

It's done a few strange things since but nothing like that, I was ready to rip all the automatic stuff out and put in Corolla sliding cables for controls after the first incident.
Old 12-12-05, 09:20 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Sounds about right. My window regulator went out not too long ago. Anyway, current things that dont work on my car are:
Memory seats
Power mirrors
Power door locks
Heater works, but if I crank the car, turn it off and crank it again it blows cold for like 5 minutes straight
Drivers electrocromatic (sp?) mirror is shot
Small oil leak
Some motors in my power seats dont work

Basically anything electrical on the car is **** because lexus/toyota puts ECUs in for everything. My honda just used metal electrical contacts and the **** always worked.
Old 12-12-05, 10:35 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 95 Integra
Sounds about right. My window regulator went out not too long ago. Anyway, current things that dont work on my car are:
Memory seats
Power mirrors
Power door locks
Heater works, but if I crank the car, turn it off and crank it again it blows cold for like 5 minutes straight
Drivers electrocromatic (sp?) mirror is shot
Small oil leak
Some motors in my power seats dont work

Basically anything electrical on the car is **** because lexus/toyota puts ECUs in for everything. My honda just used metal electrical contacts and the **** always worked.
Lexus/Toyota is far more different than a little Honda my friend. You are going to experience many things you have never experienced before with your Honda. How long have you had your SC? These are just some of the problems you might expect along the way. Our cars are not brand new and hardly anything you do on them is manually done which is one of the reasons I love lexus.
Old 12-13-05, 07:23 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Couple months or so. My lexus is newer then my integra was.....and twice the pos. Ofcourse I bought it as a project car, but I do see why acuras retain their resale value better then lexus. Im not saying I wasnt expecting all the "common" problems (because I was) but I was expecting the great "lexus" quality to be a bit better.

Quick Reply: Broken things on my SC, common??