SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Importtoys.com strut tower bar BAD (SC300's)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-01, 07:01 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get the importtoys STB. It does NOT fit correctly. I even modified mine a little by bending it, and it still doesnt work.

A couple days after I had the bar on, and the engine started making a god awful rattle, vibrating the entire car. I took it into the dealer to get it checked out. Turns out that the STB holds the engine from flexing at ALL, which was making the harmonic balancer vibrate bad....under heavy acceleration was flexing the hood up, was screwing with proper handling.

Even after the bend I still had to use spacers, which defeats the purpose of even having a STB....since it's not rigid with spacers in it.

The bar is made for a GS series, but they sell it for the SC300's also. Again it DOES NOT fit....don't buy it.

Importtoys.....if you even hold this bar up to a SC300, you'll see that it won't fit. Please test stuff before you sell it to people! I was planning on getting the adjustable upper link suspension also, but I have no faith that it is the correct part and will fit.

SR
Old 08-01-01, 02:35 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Post ive been waiting for a review....

I sure hope they take care of this for you. I have been toying with the idea of buying the one listed on their web page but was a little reserved to do business with a lesser known co.

Anyone have good luck? I want one but not a bunk one.
Old 08-01-01, 03:57 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not even worried about them working with me on it. Once a company sells me a bum product, I don't deal with them anymore. Now if they accidentally sent the wrong part, thats a different story. But when they sell a part that has no CHANCE of fitting without modification, that's it.

Anyone wany a STB for the SC300 that won't fit? I'll give u a great deal...LOL

SR
Old 08-01-01, 08:35 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At this time, we do not offer a strut bar for the SC300 here @ SRT. I would encourage you to contact Dave @ GT Autosports.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Gotta go...need to look for $10 I'm missing (Damn )
Old 08-02-01, 02:48 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I'm actually working on some custom STBs for the SC300 and SC400 (front and rear)...it'll hopefully be soon...
Old 08-02-01, 12:57 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

I'm ready to purchase both when they're ready!!!!

SR
Old 08-03-01, 09:06 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry about your STB. Hey check out www.aieonline.com prices on their STB for RActive $49.95 and Greddy $99.95 for the 93+ Supra. Which should fit the SC3 and SC4.{I think}

Old 08-03-01, 10:37 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

I seriously doubt the Supra one would work....the engine is different. Supras have the intake on the side of the engine mostly, while our SC300's have a huge manifold on top of the engine...like the supra pictured...

SR
Attached Thumbnails Importtoys.com strut tower bar BAD  (SC300's)-suprastb.jpg  
Old 08-05-01, 01:37 PM
importtoys
Pole Position

WOW..I just had a chance to catch this post....
One question.....
Why wouldnt you contact us about the fit before bending the bar making it unreturnable for you AND me?
Which may be the reason why you are not worried about us 'working with you on it'. ......All that you had to do was contact us and let us know the problem that you were having and it wouldve been taken care of.As many emails that were sent back and forth between Importtoys and you I wouldve expected you to let me know whats going on before bad mouthing us. Ive been reading your post made here and have enjoyed watching the build up of your car and was happy to be a part of it so i'm really 'on the fence' about what to do about it.
On one hand I have a customer that i've exchanged many e-mails with and is trying to build a very nice car.
and on the other hand we have a customer who purchases a part that may have been listed for another car or any number of reasons why it didnt fit...But instead of returning it for a refund or a parts check and correction ...he alters the part, MAKES it fit his car and expiriences problems..He then takes it to the dealer who tells him that a frame is supposed to flex(another story in itself) and the problems are from a part that HE made.....HE then goes to an online message board and blames ImportToys.com.When all he had to do was get a refund or a new part
.......Hmmmmmm,what should I do???
As a retailer we depend on our distributors and factory reps to provide us with correct parts as well as having them labled and cataloged correctly.
We also need input from customers expiriences with parts from our shop and website.
I am not going to try and defend our website because
we dont sell bad products...period.
Example:
I just ordered new suspention parts for my 850CSI from the dealer a few months ago. some of the parts look the same but are slightly off....I thought to myself "I could cut a bit here and a lil bit there..and make it work just fine"..But I didnt do a 'hack job' on 2700 $ worth of parts and then go around and bad mouth BMW because I couldnt get it right.I called my parts guy there and let him know that the US specs and my car didnt fit......He took care of it and we're both happy.....Why?..because you are not supposed to modify the parts.
But where does that leave us?
-ImportToys
Old 08-05-01, 02:31 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

I did not wish to return the bar. It's really not worth my time to worry about refunds or exchanges on a part such as this. I expect a reseller to have fully tested anything they offer before they sell it to a customer. Especially when y'all actually have a SC300 as a company car to test it on!

Had this been a $2700 part, then yes, I would have figured out a return process and the such instead of trying to "make" it work. But this part was not much over $100, and it really wouldn't have been worth my time to hassle with that route!

I'm also not asking your company to do anything for me, hence the reason I never e-mailed you. All I can think of is once you've found the correct part for these cars and have tested it, post a new message here so that everyone that was waiting to buy one will then know you now have the correct item!

At the company I work for, I test anything myself before I make it available to the public. The reasoning is that I don't want a product sold to a customer halfway around the world, only to have it not work because my wholesale connection incorrectly supplied me with info that it would.

There are many people on here that had asked the question if the bar would fit, and weren't going to purchase one until they knew. Well now they know! The purpose of the post wasn't to "badmouth" Importtoys, y'all just happened to be the company involved! The purpose was to save a lot of people time and trouble of getting the wrong part and having to worry about returns and the such.

The part wasn't a "bad" part, and I'm sure y'all wouldn't intend to sell a bad part. In fact it was made quite well (so well that it was ******in HARD to bend!) It would be great for its intended vehicle, just not for the SC300's.

Oh ya...I never said the frame flexes. An engine is mounted on flexible motor mounts, and they flex when the motor is under great torque, not the frame.

SR
Old 08-05-01, 04:07 PM
importtoys
Pole Position

If its not worth your time why would you order it,wait for it and then spend time trying to modify it?You make it seem like there are a series of hoops to jump through.
I wouldve sent another part out to you ASAP..No problem....I think that you know that, but did not go that route because u wanted it to work 'right then and there'
now that 100 dollar part couldve cost you $,$$$ because you wanted to modify it...
What we would do is send out a new part and put a hold on your funds until the old unit was returned...no hassel on your part just a few days to wait but with no sweat or personal injury.If Any shop that deals with aftermarket parts tells you that they personally order all new parts and test them first they are lying to you. Trust is developed between retailers,manufacturers and distributors to save from us having to test fit every new product that comes in....Thats business.
I imported a set of STARK wheels from Japan recently for our demo car....I told them it was for an SC400
..if they fit..great.If they dont I'll contact them to get the right part....Im not going to post messages stating "dont buy from STARK wheels..they sell bum parts"
"I'm not even worried about them working with me on it. Once a company sells me a bum product, I don't deal with them anymore. "
Thats fine if thats the way that you want to go....I wish you the best of luck with your project.
But,If you were sold a bum part you would've returned it or atleast asked what the hell was going on with that part.
YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO 'MAKE IT WORK' and then blame us when you mess up the part. From there i'll assume that you thought that you wouldnt be able to talk to us about it since you 'modified' the part (which is not the case) so u came here.
Should i go into our log files and count the number of emails that went back and forth before it was a 'problem' to contact us?
We always are in contact with maufactures about fitment of mass produced and custom parts(we have a few ). If i find that a part doesnt match up with a car I'll let them know and not try to front like its not a big deal and then turn around and say they sell bad stuff.
I think everything is clear on both ends so
I really dont have much to say......If you would like to contact me that would be great ...if not........Like I said: Best of luck with your project,looks good so far.
~Marcus
Old 08-05-01, 07:50 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

I ordered it because I wanted it. It's my damn money. If I want to waste it, that's my choice. Instead of me taking time out of my day to take the old one to the FedEx place and send it back, I would rather just order a new one from somewhere else that people have previously tried.

It will take me at least an hour to go to the FedEx place and back, and this would have to be done during work hours. Since I bill well over $100 per hour, like I said, it wouldn't be worth my time! Easier to sit at my desk and work, and order a new on online, than it is to drive to the other side of the city and back to drop off the old one. The new one will be left at my house without me having to be there to sign! Ahh the price of laziness

**** YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO 'MAKE IT WORK' and then blame us when you mess up the part. ****

#1 I purchased it so I can do whatever I want to it.

#2 It didn't fit at ALL before I modified it, but that was my blame also? I guess because I bought it?

**** From there i'll assume that you thought that you wouldnt be able to talk to us about it since you 'modified' the part (which is not the case) so u came here. ****

#1 Assume? I thought I had already made it clear why I did not contact y'all. But if you would like to go on assuming that I am lying to you, feel free.

#2 So I came here? Well as I already said, there are many people that have in the past asked if your STB fits. Nobody had tried it yet. This board is open to anyone to post their opinions. That was my opinion.

**** Should i go into our log files and count the number of emails that went back and forth before it was a 'problem' to contact us ****

Did I mention that I had problems contacting y'all? I don't recall that. I don't see the need for such a comment as this back at a customer, especially in a board with many potential customers reading. I never said I had any problems contacting you. It wouldn't have mattered if I had a friggin red "Bat-Phone" on my wall that made a direct connection to your house, I wasn't going to waste my time with shipping stuff back and forth, etc. Plus I think that I've sold my bar to a local Supra owner as long as it fits right, we're going to try it tomorrow night.

Before, I kept my tone friendly. I expected that once you read my new post, and determined that I wasn't trying to make your company look bad, that your post back would be in the same manner.

But you've for sure shown to me (and maybe others on this board) that instead of saying "sorry for the problems, and for everyone else, we're getting the correct part" you respond with a terrible attitude. I think this is a terrible way to respond on a public board with many potential future customers.

I just guess you do business differently than I!

SR

Attached Thumbnails Importtoys.com strut tower bar BAD  (SC300's)-mvc-896s.jpg  
Old 08-05-01, 11:01 PM
importtoys
Pole Position

I think you are missing my point.....First of all I will never roll over for anyone and assume that the customer is always right..because sometimes they are sooooooo wrong. The reason why I take the time to find parts or come up with parts for the SC is because I own one... And that is the ONLY reason.
You made the effort to post a comment stating that we sold you a 'bum' part and that was the reason why you didnt contact us...
And Im sure noone cares about the way you spend your money...I dont. The money was not the issue,You making false comments about our site is.
Anyone reading this thread will know who was right or wrong or if it was a misunderstanding
1) Yes you did purchase it and can do what you want to it...BUT dont pull a hack job on it and then complain about it not working....Im sure everyone with half a brain would know better than that
2) If it was the wrong part why would you %^&%^ it up to try and make it fit ? You didnt modify it...you $#%#$ it up.
2B)Why wouldnt you let us know you were having a problem with it?(my main question)
3)Assume...Yeah,I said assume because I really dont know why you didnt contact me about the part...after soooooo many emails prior......I really dont. Or WHYYYYYY a person would even try to make a part fit that way.what if it was mislabled from the factory or in our system?..You may have been trying to put a ford focus STB on your car.
As a customer you expect to get the right parts and as a retailer i expect my customers to let me know if they didnt.....simple as that...And that is what i have a problem with.
I applaud you for being gung-ho with the project but haste creates waste.

4) Your opinion....Hmmmmmm lemme get this straight as i read through this thread...... "....Bum part" hmmmmm
That doesnt sound right.
5) Obviously there was a problem with you contacting us about it.....Because you didnt do it....why wouldnt you? Do I not end my e-mails with " If you have any questions or comments feel free to drop me a line" ? ,Do I not ask people to put Atten:Marcus in the subject line ,did I not answer EVERY e-mail that you sent in a VERY timely manner.I stopped short of flying down there and installing it myself....And now I should tell you 'sorry for the problem'?:eek: Im sorry that you have a problem....And its not with ImportToys.com. I also stated that we dont wait for returned parts before we ship new ones,So you wouldnt have to waste that 100 per hour (save that line for a pick up bar)....I dont know of any other company that does this....Everyone gets the same customer service if they spend $1,$100 or thousands.....Thats how we do it.

Old 08-06-01, 05:20 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question STB

Importtoys,
Does importtoys sell a strut tower bar for the SC300 that does not touch the intake or require modification for correct fit?

gadgetSC
Old 08-06-01, 06:35 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Ho hum. What a joke this has become. No response on here is needed.

Check your mail...another issue...

SR

Quick Reply: Importtoys.com strut tower bar BAD (SC300's)