SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My 1997 SC400 Suggestions are welcome

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 01:43 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My 1997 SC400 Suggestions are welcome

Hey guys I just got my 1997 sc400 back from the body shop. I'm not really thrilled with the results. let me explain what i'm looking to get out of my car first, before any of you start giving me suggestions. I am looking for the "classy" look. didn't want to take off my helmet everywhere i went so i decided to go with this body kit. When i had it outside of the box i didn't expect these results. The back bumper i feel that it's a little bit too high....even though i didn't drop my car yet (which i'm planning to drop it with the espelir lowering springs) I still didn't expect the bumper to be that high or that different from the factory. the side skirts I like, plain and simple it has a little "speed racer looking like" hole towards the back of the skirt but i like it. (think it's a little too hard to see in the pictures.) The front bumper was a complete dissapointment. After putting on the kit....and it's totally my fault... i realize that the bumper does not have a grill like the factory 97 bumper and on top of it all the bumper's fog light holes are not big enough for the 97 bumper fog lights. =T what should i do? The shop molded some of the thing on so if i wanted to take off the rear side skirts and put a new bumper on it will just cost more money and it's a waste. During the install the guy told me he pulled out my fenders a little bit to have it fit my body kit. that's fine...(thinking wide body right?) but when he did that if i wanted to put back on my factory front bumper it'll pretty much be a hassle, something about aligning with the fender's curves. I really want my fog lights on there, i was planning to just drill a hole in the metal and have a screw pretty much hold the factory's in place....or should i just go with new fog lights from an aftermarket shop?.... maybe i'll just say the hell with the grill for now.....what do you guys think?

I have crossed drilled slotted rotors getting ready to be installed with new brake pads. installing Neon underbody kit just for some laughs. installed my Borla exhaust already. Blueish white 6000k H.I.D.'s coming in soon. 2 JL's in a box (not flushed) in the trunk. aftermarket headunit. espelir springs coming soon drop of 2" front and back. 18's or 19's or 20's? not sure which rim to buy yet either. thinking about black rims with chrome lip even though everyone and their mother has it now.... i like it...... plate? or spokes?

figured it's worth a shot for some suggestions. thanks guys

other than that i'm done right? please don't say turbo charge either..... great thing but too much money for me.

Last edited by Batmobile; 01-04-06 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-14-05, 01:48 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good-sweet
Old 12-14-05, 01:51 PM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

I say, drop it first and then see

The kit looks good, what kit is that?
Old 12-14-05, 01:54 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ummm...it does look a bit weird...but probably after the drop it'll give it some looks

Looks like an ABFlug type 1 kit, is it authentic or knockoff?

Old 12-14-05, 01:57 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

cheap knock off
Old 12-14-05, 01:59 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

huh... that actually sorta looks good or okay.... i need the foglights in there though.... once again.... any suggestions?

can't wait to drop my car now looks like the shop messed up on my side skirts too according to the car in the pic... i knew the hole was suppose to be facing out.... on mine it's sorta on a diagonal facing the floor.... stupid people
Old 12-14-05, 02:23 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the back driver side fender dented?

I think once you drop it, put some aftermarket fogs in, cover the big hole in the front with mesh wire and paint it black, and put a nice set of 18" or 19" staggered rims on it. It would look HOT!

Something like this IMHO
Attached Thumbnails My 1997 SC400 Suggestions are welcome-likethis.jpg  
Old 12-14-05, 02:33 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go with the 97 front bumper with grille and fogs. I think it'll look much better with the kit you have on the car. A nice drop with a decent set of 19s would make a world of a difference.
Old 12-14-05, 02:34 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

thank you finally... someone that read the thread....thanks appreciate it.... no the back driver side is not dented.... you definately scared me there... thanks for the re-do of the pic with rims
Old 12-14-05, 02:38 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Originally Posted by One HoT
I would go with the 97 front bumper with grille and fogs. I think it'll look much better with the kit you have on the car. A nice drop with a decent set of 19s would make a world of a difference.
yeah your right also... i do like my 97 front bumper.... honestly i do.... maybe i'll just wait until...knock on wood...something happens to the front bumper....

not doing any changes until snow goes away though....
Old 12-14-05, 03:04 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I Think the car looks pretty good with kit. The only thing about the rear the bothers me is your crooked license plate frame.... , but that's easy to fix. Sometimes with doing stuff to your car,
you just live and learn. Sure it's expensive, but next time I'm sure you'll pay more attention to the
little details.

This forum is really good and everyone here has probably done what you're thinking about doing,
so it doesn't hurt to ask the many experienced people here before you slap down anymore money
on you next mod.
Old 12-14-05, 03:05 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

This is really sad Personally I think the 97+ oem bumper, etc looks much more classy.

I would not remove everything to go back, but just concentrate on getting some good fitment wheels with a nice stance. Another option is sell the car and get a new SC and start again.
Old 12-14-05, 03:11 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

thanks bruce...haha... yeah i guess the license plate frame can be fixed just a little bit.....

geez, turboTeg......sell my baby....? nah... if anything i would rather remove and change rather than sell the whole car..... it is JUST the bumpers
Old 12-14-05, 03:47 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Don't sell the car (not that you were planning too)..

This is what I recommend..
1. Get the car lowered (which you said you were doing already).. The rims you have will look decent and will give you a much better stance..

2. Spend about $1300 on some nice 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 rims Click This (Just an idea for a rim, since you are trying to save money and get something that looks good).

3. Get some nice projector fog lights that will fill the hole.

4. Mesh grill inset

Once you've done the 1st two, I think you will love you car with the kit you put on it.
Old 12-14-05, 03:51 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd have the say get the 97+ front bumper too, its such a clean yet elegant look that it will set off the car well, but at least from what I can see in the pics, the body shop painted the car well.

Good Luck

Tommy

Quick Reply: My 1997 SC400 Suggestions are welcome