SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

***it's My Opinion Of The Sc430 Vs Sc4 & Sc3!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-01, 09:41 PM
machinegt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Wow S!!

now that is an awesome design for a future SC!

send that into lexus man!!!!!

i really like how it is smoother and curvier with the hatchback and lower angle front windshield.

see what the heck is wrong with the design group who did the sc430? they must have grown lazy and unimaginative.

i ain't paying 65 grand for a short piece of turd that the 430 is! but i'll pay 65grand for that awesome new design of S's!
Old 08-19-01, 11:01 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Guys, I had my first ride in a SC430 and I'm convinced that it is a super fine auto. {read my thread in the SC430 forum} I was never concern about the fit and finish or the power.

I think it will continue to be successful and with a body kit it looks more aggressive and/or manly. I must admit it changed my view of the car.

The SC Gen.1 still is a much nicer looking car, but the 430 is all Lexus. The 430 is growing on me a lil' now. I just need my quad head lamps and kill the Acura CL tail lights...

Now the XK8 and/or the DB7{same design studio, and they both share components} should have been a car to copy if any...

The Ikon ... I'm still loyal to the SC Gen.1 just giving props where it's due... Admit when you are wrong. At least some times...
Old 08-20-01, 10:27 AM
joegolf
Rookie

Smile I agree but........

Machinegt wrote: i hope lexus knows the opinons of people about the 430"

I agree that the SC4.3 is not an SC, that the SC is the premium Lexus sports looking car and they new 4.3 looks are not up to the SC line. But, unfortunately, Lexus is hearing exactly what people think of the SC4.3. Waiting lists, EBayers selling their spots on the waiting lists etc. It is a business and regardless of what we may think, business is brisk for their new car. Hopefully, the rumors, and I don't believe them, that a hardtop, bigger SC is already in the works. As a business decision, Lexus has hit the mark. The original SC's were suffering from dwindling sales and reduced used car values. I love my SC400 and will hold out until AFTER the 4.3 line dies.
Old 08-20-01, 06:12 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Exclamation

Joe, I've heard the same too about the SC300 coupe coming back... I wonder about the price? Do have any info?

Old 08-20-01, 07:24 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I read the SC350 or whatever they end up calling it will be based off the IS platform (Most likely no retractable hardtop to keep the price low).. No idea on price but that is what I know on this next iteration of the SC model lineup..

Back to the SC430.. I guess I am biased on this vehicle since all it took was looking at the car in person to fall in love.. The test drive put the capper on the deal but I also agree the quad lights should of stayed with this version but in a way I guess they were trying to move away from that for a different look.. Not better IMO but different..

For the ones that haven't driven the SC430 I suggest you take a test drive when and if you can.. Definately not a GEEZER car but like they say everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion!
Old 08-21-01, 03:19 PM
joegolf
Rookie

Thumbs up

Hi Ikon,
You are the most informative "poster" around. Sorry, the only info I have is some rumor I read on one of the posts here about a 2003 model coming out with a hard top and design more like the original SC's. Even the individual posting thought it to be a bad rumor, but we can always hope. Wish I had more info! Joe
Old 08-22-01, 05:47 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hehehe, I didn't mean to sound like I was saying that the SC430 is for old geezers! I would buy a SC430 (of course, I'd mod it up a little bit to make it a little more aggressive) and I don't think I qualify as a "old geezer" (though I really like senior discounts! )

The only thing I really dislike is the rear "seats" of the SC430. I think they shouldn't have tried so hard to make it look like seats even (with the headrests and all). I know the were trying to make a "4" seater for insurance purposes, but they should have made the back seats as MINIMAL as possible (while still qualifing as a 4 seater)...

Or at least angled the backseats a little bit...it's very ridiculous looking to have such nice looking seats sit straight up and down...

It would be nice for someone to come out a complete replacments for the rear seats and convert that space into a secure/lockable storage unit...
Old 08-22-01, 02:39 PM
stoked
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder how many of you guys that think the sc 430 is distasteful have actually been in one and driven it. i drove one this last week, a silver one with the navigation and mark levinson, and run flat tires. i was amazed and it is better than any earlier sc i have ever been in. everything about the car is amazing and very well engineered. the whole magic of the tops smooth motion going up and down, the smooth contours. the car is a dream when it comes to driving. it sounds incredilble with its very detectable exhaust note. the cupholders are quite interesting too. i drove an sc 400 and an sc 300 5 speed and they dont even compare. in person the car is beautiful, i used to think that they were ugly but i have since changed my mind. the transmisson shifts smoother than any car i have ever been in and it is a very quick big heavy car! this is all my opinion, i just dont see how you can bash the new sc without driving it!!
Old 09-29-05, 09:04 PM
neoprelude
Driver

Originally Posted by hoops_24
I think the SC430 is a delicious looking car. Really nice lines and it definitely stands out in the increasingly more crowded sports coupe segment.

On the other hand; I also think Lexus made a huge tactical error by not incorporating some of the themes from the previous SC. Namely the quad headlamps and the distinctive crease that runs the length of the car on the older SC's. This lack of continuity in their styling will never allow Lexus to become a "heritage" brand like Mercedes and BMW. I don't care how far back you go with those two automakers, there is a heritage in their design and the design is distinctly their own. The SC series could have been a heritage brand. Now, only the original SC series will carry that moniker.

Lexus better wake up quick. Yeah, they make some beautiful cars, but they have become too loose in their design changes. Anyone seen the new ES300. Looks just like a 2000 Mercury Sable. That is one design that will NOT grow on me. And they incorporated the headlamp treatment from the Celica. Bad move. Lexus should have design cues stolen from them!

Cheers to all Gen 1 SC owners. We have the hottest SC's around town.......peace
Toyota owns lexus, they didn't "steal" it is the same company just an upscale brand

Honda/Acura Nissan/Infinit etc.

But yeah I think the new SC430 is wayy overpriced for what you get it's just a luxury car with a v8 minus the 4 doors and roomy interior and some curvy lines. I think it's alright looking, but resembles too much of a g35 and the headlights/front end just don't appeal to me as someone said earlier, the seperate high beam should of been kept! I mean the SC was the first car with the seperate highbeam and on their new SC they dont put them on, yet the GS has them makes a ton of sense... The SC3/4's were way more of a sportscar since they are just a luxurified NA Supra with soft suspension and a bit more weight, a little more luxury looking with the trunk and big rear windows and not as low as a roofline. And the SC430 owners are a huge different crowd of people IMHO then us, and not just because it cost more money... For the price i'd def. be buying an m3 with most of the same luxury features and way more of a sportscar and better looking IMHO. I mean what sportscars does toyota/lexus have anymore to compete with 'true performance sportscars like: the m3, vette, viper, AMG benz etc.' the celica (FWD 180 HP not a real sportscar), Scion TC (Good little sport compact but def. not a sports car) and finally the Lexus SC430 which is way more of a luxury coupe, then a sportscar (Soft suspension, heavy, not much horsepower for the price, and the interior design just isn't sporty one bit just luxurious. The SC3/4's were nicely blended sport/luxury interior especially in black)

Hope not to offend anyone, everyone has their 2 cents and thats mine. Happy Lexing
Old 09-29-05, 09:06 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Originally Posted by neoprelude
Hope not to offend anyone, everyone has their 2 cents and thats mine.
You bumped a thread so old, their 2 cents have turned into at least a quarter with interest