SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

***it's My Opinion Of The Sc430 Vs Sc4 & Sc3!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-01, 11:43 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Angry

I have to get this off of my chest for the last time...

I do not HATE the SC4.3 I am just DISAPPOINTED with the final product after all the years of anticipation of the "new" SC4. I have received a silly *** e-mail about my opinion of the SC430 and the NSX. I know you are reading this so here goes again.......... {I made this comment in March and it is still the same...}

Urrrrrrrrrrrr...

The Jury is still out on the exterior styling. What in the H#LL happened to the signature quad headlight treatment?(The SC's were influential in the reincarnation of the 4 headlights on cars...ex, our younger siblings GS's, LX's, Mercedes brought it back again E-class, Acura integra, ZX3, last celica...) It should've not changed... The BIG A$$ GRILL does not belong on a sports coupe, especially LEXUS SPORTS COUPE!!! Why did Lexus chose to NOT use the Calty design studio again? The rear end looks very similar to everything else on the road. OH NO!!! how could I forget those wheels!!! Maybe Lexus will take the L-sport division seriously and develop some good looking upgrades both inside and out. Because the L-sport GS is not impressive at all in LOOKS or PERFORMANCE compared to an AMG E-55 or the BMW M-5. (A couple guys on this Forum have better looking cars that can really get down and dirty with the other 2 cars...) The SC430 drop top should knock the CLK and XK8 on their A$$, but Lexus fell short on this one...10 yrs, for this!!! If our SC's were convertibles... now that would be truly elegant, oh well. It was good dreaming...

LEXUS THIS TIME AROUND SPEND SOME $$$$ OUT OF THAT BIG BUDGET YOU HAVE AND ADVERTISE THE SC4 GEN.2 (BECAUSE YOU DROPPED THE BALL ON THE SC4 GEN.1 IN TERMS OF ADVERTISEMENT $$$) AS YOU DID THE ONCE DYING GS. REMEMBER IT'S A SPORT COUPE AND YOUR 1ST SPORTS CAR!!!! ADVERTISE IT AS ONE!!!

Don't get me wrong I think the SC430 is nice, JUST nice; however, it's not going to be the acclaimed TIMELESS CLASSIC, UNIQUELY SUPERB, PERFECT BLEND OF LUXURY AND PERFORMANCE, POETRY IN MOTION, VEHICULAR ART..... associated with the SC4 GEN.1..... I hope it can however, be still judged as a classic after its 10th year in existence as did the SC GEN.1.. maybe it'll grow on me, but the SC4 GEN.1 was love at first sight, the first time I saw one 10 years ago and I'm still in love with it.

If it's O.K. I'll keep my SC4... unless you buy me one, then I'll take mine in pearl white!!!

The Ikon

Old 08-03-01, 07:43 AM
relapse
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree....

what ever happened to 'upgrading' the last gen...

it seems like everyone is just making a new looking car.. sigh.
Old 08-03-01, 09:03 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default yup yup...

I've got an old school SC (Soarer or SC400 fo you guys) and I think the design is more individial. Like there's nothing that really comes close to it. The design is 10 years old, and it looks like if just came of the production line (If the car is clean ). It's does the blend of elegance and power to make people look twice. The new SC is a toally different car. I think its more of a "blending in" car. Compare it to the new Nissan Skyline R35 (not the GT-R, the normal one) and it looks near the same from the front. I wish you could get the Soarer GT (Twin Turbo) in the US, then the new 4.3 Litre engine wouldnt look too crash hot next to an old school Soarer GT.

That's just my thoughts... But I'm biased as I love my Soarer GT. Still kicking Chev LS1's for the pride of SC's on OZ.

Toan
Old 08-04-01, 04:09 PM
joegolf
Rookie

Smile

Hi, this is my first post so it will probably be long and boring, I hope not!

I too am not a big fan of the 430's. I just bought my SC400, a 1996 silver with 20,450 miles and it is pristine. I was buying a 2000 but couldn't get around the out of state loan, lease company bureaucracy thing. I hope I am satisfied with the smaller engine, and have already ordered the heat shield and will order a K an N filter (unless you have a better suggestion out there.)

For five years, I have had the original SC brochure in a file cabinet in my office. It was too expensive for me then, along with needing a family car. Now my only daughter has her license, and a brand new Civic EX, it is time to take care of myself.

Anyway, I was initially disappointed with the 430's. This is an entirely different car and in my opinion, it is not an SC. not that it makes it better or worse, it is just not an evolution.

As much as I love the SC's, and I do love them, one problem seemed to be a factor in dwindling sales. It is both a positive and a negative. They never really changed the body style enough. Many of us would like to buy a new car and have it distinguished from a car 8 years older. Even it is a subtle, yet distinctive "improvement." Secondly, as much as I have always loved the car, it is not a head turner. I fell in love with it behind the wheel when I rented one for a week one time (splurging at the cost of an insurance company.)

I have enjoyed the Forum and have also enquired about the 430's as I may order one for the 2003 model. I too though, wish they would have kept some of the SC's heritage. Also, I don't need a convertible or a back seat that won't hold anything. But, Lexus makes the best and the car is growing on me.

Questions: (if you actually read this far)

I have a small ding above the wheel well that can't be taken out easily. I am thinking of putting on some tasteful chrome wheel molding. Any ideas or is this sacrilegious for this car? Also, door edge guards and maybe even some side molding if it can be placed there to enhance, not detract from the beautiful body. I have always parked in the boonies to avoid door dings but sometimes you just can't win. Has it been easy to have one of those ding companies remove from doors or sides of car and still look excellent.

Well, thanks for the ear (and eyes.) This Forum has excellent management and membership. I look forward to many hours of enjoyable sharing of information. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Joe
Old 08-05-01, 12:33 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Talking Welcome to Club Lexus...

I think you opinions are fair and true about the SC4 and SC430... I hope you post often and enjoy the forums... I post long thoughts at time too...

Now to the trim ???....... the answer is NEVER violate the beauty and lines of the COUPE!!!:eek: Have you ever seen fender trim on a Ferrari 456, Porsche 928, Bimmer 850csi or the beautiful Jag XK8?

PLEASE..........................PLEASE..................no.......!

The Ikon

Last edited by The Ikon; 08-05-01 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-06-01, 05:48 PM
joegolf
Rookie

Thumbs up

I think I have to agree with you Ikon. I enjoy your posts and wealth of knowledge. I love the looks of the car as is and will just have to live with the fear of some butthead dinging my door. I inherited two very small dings and if I keep this car, the 1996 SC 400 model, I will take to a first class shop and have them professionally manicured out! The only reason I say "IF" is I am looking for a 2000 SC 400 and will be ready to buy in about two months. I had a couple lined up but had to deal with BANKS! And they totally screwed up the transactions. I have a spec house for sale and will have the $$$$ in about two months to do some serious shopping for a 2000 model at that time.

I keep thinking about buying a 2003 430 SC next year but can't get over the facts of no trunk, back seat that is totally wasted (I don't mind not having a back seat, but give me some trunk instead!) My congrats to those that bought one and even more to those that bought one and sold it for a handsome profit. It is truly a GREAT car, but not EXACTLY what I want. And to spend $60K, I would prefer an exact match to my taste.

The 430 is not an SC and the owners of the 430 would be the first to agree. Have you read their Forum? A couple of the comments are pretty comical at how they think we are lower than plant life wanting nothing more than to modify our cars so we can scare their daughters when we drive up their streets (this is a quote!!!)

I'm 48 years old, an executive with the fire service and just love a great car.... and don't want to put others down for whatever car they prefer.

I truly hope that Lexus will somehow keep the true SC line alive with modifications, but that is wishful thinking with the long lines wanting the 430's. Oh well, guess that is why I want a 2000 model which will take me into retirement for at least long enough for the next series to debut! Take care Ikon and thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Joe, Sacramento, CA
Old 08-06-01, 07:18 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking SC430

I like the idea...Scare their daughters

gadgetSC
Old 08-07-01, 07:17 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Red face The SC400 does what other cars can't

The 430 is a kind of lame trying-to-keep-up attempt at making a car that old geezers will like. Old people are more likely to buy the Caddy "Northstar" (HRM dynoed those at 224 hp, haw) battleship or the Mercedes S class. They NEED to realize that these cars are being bought by YOUNGER people (if not people who are younger minded) and that the SC430 is a step in the WRONG direction.
What is the original SC series? it's a car that was built for older sophisticate types that might otherwise buy an SL500 or an 840i.
What did it turn into? It became the beat-all bargain car for people who can't stand uncomfortable sports cars or low performance luxury cars. It's also a car for people who don't have money to burn on maintenance, not so much because of the costs but because of the frequency of repair. A growing tuner market is showing that people are really interested in finding out what these cars can become. I just hope that they don't drop the line and jack up prices on the older SC's, just look at what happened to the Supra and the 300ZX.
Old 08-08-01, 02:04 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well considering every dealership I've been to has NO SC430's to sell and they have LONG backlogs, I think Lexus did alright.

You have to understand, Lexus's biggest market is still the old geezers...just because they're not on Club Lexus doesn't mean they don't exist.

And personally, I think the SC is great...all my friends love it too and our age range is 19-35...The only "issues" I have with the car are the Wheels (could they have put UGLIER wheels on the car? Why not just put some trash can lids on there...oh wait...they did!).

I've driven a couple and they drive nice, the interior kicks ***, and with a nice body kit, lowering, and some 19" or 20" wheels, it's one tight *** ride!

And I must admit, though I'm not a huge light color interior fan, I LOVE the Ecru leather interior...(although Silver/black would be my first choice still...then Indigo/Ecru)
Old 08-08-01, 03:00 AM
hoops_24
Pole Position

I think the SC430 is a delicious looking car. Really nice lines and it definitely stands out in the increasingly more crowded sports coupe segment.

On the other hand; I also think Lexus made a huge tactical error by not incorporating some of the themes from the previous SC. Namely the quad headlamps and the distinctive crease that runs the length of the car on the older SC's. This lack of continuity in their styling will never allow Lexus to become a "heritage" brand like Mercedes and BMW. I don't care how far back you go with those two automakers, there is a heritage in their design and the design is distinctly their own. The SC series could have been a heritage brand. Now, only the original SC series will carry that moniker.

Lexus better wake up quick. Yeah, they make some beautiful cars, but they have become too loose in their design changes. Anyone seen the new ES300. Looks just like a 2000 Mercury Sable. That is one design that will NOT grow on me. And they incorporated the headlamp treatment from the Celica. Bad move. Lexus should have design cues stolen from them!

Cheers to all Gen 1 SC owners. We have the hottest SC's around town.......peace
Old 08-09-01, 01:56 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Joe, I too hope that Lexus will keep the SC lineage alive with a L sport version of the SC. Hopefully with a quad light treatment or something else than the present. I must admit the kits for the 430 on the 430 forum are a pleasant enhancements to the normal vanilla look of the car..

I also agree whole heartily with Hoops about the "heritage" image of the cars Lexus make. The SC4 has been around for 9 yrs and the new SC should have looked like an SC without wondering what the car is/was >>> not an Audi TT, not a Acura CL, or IS3 from the front, but a SC4 period. I hope the 430 is a success for another 9 years for Lexus sake.(Let's pray that the flashiness of the styling of all Lexus autos will cease at the sake of a few cents more of profit made.)

Max, I hope the value of the SC4 is "jacked" up because it is worth it... Plus, we already own our SC4 or SC3!!!

Look at the ridiculous mark up on a Benz 300 CE, Porsche 928 or a BMW 840/850 that honestly are not better cars than the SC4 in terms of quality, value, reliability, features, tech., ergonomics, maintenance, and looks(IMO)... If they are worth the $$$ being asked for them, then why not the SC4 or SC3?

I must mention again the body kit(as subtle as it is) did give the 430 a much needed facelift. Now only if somehow the grill could disappear! The SC4 or SC3 were at there best without the grills added regardless of the front end... Just no chrome grill!!! It is a SPORTS COUPE not a Caddy, Ford or Lincoln.
Old 08-09-01, 10:03 AM
YuuDawg
Driver

I love the new 430... I don't know how to explain it, because I absolutely hated it at first, but the more I saw of it, the more it grew on me. Everything about it is so clean, and I love the rims too =). And a hard top convertible??? ****, and my god that interior looks clean.

Don't get me wrong because I love the original SC's too, but damn that car takes my breathe away everytime I see it rolling by.

I ain't an old geezer either, by anyones standards, lots of my friends love it, lots of my friends hate it... not that any of them like my car that much? when i was telling them that i was gonna get the sc, they were telling me that the car was made for old geezers... sound familiar?

about continuing the heritage...
nah..
i mean, why do we want a new model of our car to come out and make our car look like old pieces of ****?

yeah, new benz's look nice, new bmw's look nice, and their old counterparts look like **** in comparison, so what do we really have to complain about? maybe lexus should have just renamed the model line, but no car will ever come close to our SC's
Old 08-09-01, 03:16 PM
'S'Low Rider
Driver

Cool Shorter, Lower, Leaner!

First excuse the poor attempt at design, I hope you get the idea from a very rough picture.....

I would have loved Lexus to continue with the spirit of the SC400....

My version would have been reduced in length and height, with bonnet, roof and trunk all smoothed......

Still room for the 4.3ltr vvti V8, the SC430 but a new model as well, the SC350. A 3.5ltr twin turbo just so we could have some fun.
Attached Thumbnails ***it's My Opinion Of The Sc430 Vs Sc4 & Sc3!!!-comp.jpg  
Old 08-09-01, 06:29 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Shorter Lower Leaner?

you know what that is there, right S ? a car in direct competition for the Aston Martin market, for half the price! You're right, they could've taken the design you suggest there further and gotten a car heralded as a masterpiece.
Old 08-19-01, 09:38 PM
machinegt
Pole Position

Angry hella yah! drop that bomb on dem!

i share the same opinon, the interior of the 430 is great, but the exterior is just so.... how can i say.. ..nothing?

its like the design group was like ok now lets design the exterior... 2mins later, ok its done, shove it out the door and into production!

the SC400 is the sexiest lexus alive to date. c'mon lexus where is that relentless pursuit of perfection???

you had 10 years for your design group to draw up something amazing. what the heck happened?

i think the 430 is a lady's roadster, i would not want to be driving one of those because they look too small and cutey.

i hope lexus knows the opinons of people about the 430, i've been waiting ever since the 92' SC400 came out when i was in elementary school, and now that i can afford one, they don't make them anymore and they brought out a sissy looking new shape! ARGG i am so pissed.

one day the return of the SC will come and we will rejoice at it crushing and destroying its sissy brethren 430.

Quick Reply: ***it's My Opinion Of The Sc430 Vs Sc4 & Sc3!!!