SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Trouble You May Encounter by Year.........

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-05, 10:54 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man hearing that brings some comfort.... i've never had a car that ate as much oil as my SC now.... so i was a bit worried.

okay... so i'm gonna order this autoRX... do a seafoam... and then switch to synthetic... AND then do a leakdown test
Old 12-20-05, 05:39 PM
sc.Fred
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ummagawd
man hearing that brings some comfort.... i've never had a car that ate as much oil as my SC now.... so i was a bit worried.

okay... so i'm gonna order this autoRX... do a seafoam... and then switch to synthetic... AND then do a leakdown test
yea i'll probably order the autoRX this weekend...

i need to change the oil in the next 2-300 miles so i should be straight.

the funny thing is is that i was going to have the dealership do it for a test to see if there was something that i was doing wrong as far as the amount of oil that i put in and whatnot

however, i'll try all of these things first and then if that doesn't work then i'm going to go to the dealership afterwards...

does anybody know how much leakdown tests are?
Old 12-20-05, 06:04 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

if and when you do your leakdown test... lemme know and i'll have mine done too
Old 12-20-05, 10:18 PM
andy.e
Driver School Candidate

Think about it...you are using 1 qt of oil per 3000 miles. That costs you all of $2 or $3. Unless someone can prove to me (with evidence) that this oil consumption is hurting something, you are crazy to spend any money on this issue.
Old 12-20-05, 10:29 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

[QUOTE=posterboi]Trouble Spots

Doors: Defective hinges cause a popping noise when the front doors are opened. Revised hinges are available. (1992-94)

QUOTE]

how would I go about getting these revised hinge assemblies? Both my doors pop and have some difficulty opening/closing.
Old 12-21-05, 08:10 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by andy.e
Think about it...you are using 1 qt of oil per 3000 miles. That costs you all of $2 or $3. Unless someone can prove to me (with evidence) that this oil consumption is hurting something, you are crazy to spend any money on this issue.

i could have bad ring lands, bad cam seals, rear main seal could be leaking... all things that I need to be 100% sure before I boost.
Old 12-21-05, 08:31 AM
sc.Fred
Instructor

Originally Posted by andy.e
i'm really **** about stuff like that.. if i know something is wrong and there could possibly be a problem somewhere then i would look into and try any kind of method in order to remedy the problem.

on top of that.. it gives not only me but anybody else who is reading this a better understanding of what goes on in our engines and can try for themselves from first hand experience whether it's true or not.
Old 12-21-05, 12:42 PM
neoprelude
Driver

Cool my 96 has the possibility of only a false temp. reading, and a starter the starter does suck but it isn't that big and I believe it was replaced by prev. owner !
Old 12-22-05, 07:12 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

Revised door hinges? any info on that?
Old 12-22-05, 06:08 PM
shaman
Rookie

Originally Posted by Psionic
Yep, just pour it directly into your oil filler cap.

As far as synthetic consumption.... boy thats a tricky one... I will try to explain it:

Synthetic oil has a way of cleaning out the old gunk or sludge in your engine. Sometimes, that gunk or sludge is the only thing preventing a serious leak. When the synthetic oil cleans it out, the serious leak tends to rear its ugly head. This is why some people say that synthetic oil "causes" leaks... in actuality, the leak was always there, it was just uncovered by synthetic oil.

There is a GREAT!! product called AutoRX. (http://www.auto-rx.com/) that will clean out every bit of sludge and it will stop all your leaks at the same time. (I have not used this, but I have heard nothing but good things about it... its just as good for your oil as Seafoam is for your intake).

If you are just going to try for different oil, switch to a heavier oil.. like a 40wt or 50wt. I wouldnt recommend that because you dont know what your engine will do with a heavier oil. I would try an AutoRX treatment, and THEN switch to a synthetic oil. This way, you get your engine clean and keep it clean.. and you keep the recommended weight of oil.

My SC300 had 185k on it when I got it... the first oil change was directly to Mobil 1 10w30. I have put almost 3000 miles on it since Thanksgiving, and I just had to add a quart yesterday. My old Corolla needed a quart of makeup oil every 3-4k miles too... no leaks or smoke with it at all.
Good info. I want to reiterate ARX. I have used it in my Grand Prix and in my bike. It didn't do anything for the GP because she was already pretty inside, but got some stuff out of the bike and into the filter.

If you want to get some cleaning done, and don't want to pay the price for synthetic oils, look into HDEO's. They are Diesel oils, but many people have gotten alot of usage out of them. I have run all but Delvac through my bike with no problem, and would love to try Rotella or Delo 10-30 if I could find it in my car.
Old 12-27-05, 03:32 PM
posterboi
Driver

Originally Posted by blaznsc4
where is this retaining nut on the support because i hear these noises from the rear. i keep thinking its the diff cuz i only hear it when im at a stop light or stop sign holding the brake. its a 93 sc400.

I can't seem to find it either but I know that everytime I begin to go at higher speeds the sound gets a little louder and it really embarasses me when a chick is in the car!
Old 12-27-05, 03:34 PM
posterboi
Driver

Originally Posted by sc.Fred
so does this mean that i can go to the dealership and get it fixed?
That...I do not know my friend.