SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Factory rear bumper is invincible! (nearly)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-05, 05:13 PM
XSTeknique
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Factory rear bumper is invincible! (nearly)

Well, let's count them...I've been hit 3 times in the past 6 months on my rear bumper and made it out of all of them with only fine scratches as if I ran sand paper real quick over it. I'm sure I could get it buffed out, but I haven't tried yet. Impact speeds range anywhere from rolling to upwards of 20mph. To say the least I'm impressed with the quality of the bumper.

Here's what sucks though. Just yesterday I was in an accident where a non-English speaking (probably illegal immigrant) driver rolls into my car while I'm at a light. He and I pull over, I wave my hands in the air cursing, he mumbles Spanglish and I can make out "Please no, I have family." My response "I don't ******* care! You hit my car and you're going to pay for it." He offers me $200 in cash and I turn it down (bumper was already scratched so I needed a repaint). Right after I took a picture of his license plate, the bastard gets in his car and speeds off. To make a long story short, highway patrol basically tells me they won't do anything about it. Law enforcement. It's not even about the damage (which is barely noticeable) but it's about principle now. SOMEONE IS GETTING DEPORTED!!! Just got to wait and see what my insurance comes up with.

Last edited by legendary; 12-28-05 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-27-05, 05:28 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Damn that sucks. Hope it works out for you man.
Old 12-27-05, 05:40 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sucks man.... sorry to hear.... hmm... i know that it's not your fault and this shouldn't happen to you but correct me if i'm wrong.... no matter how big or small the accident.. if you tell them (insurance) that you were in your car at the time of the accident won't your insurance go up?
Old 12-27-05, 05:47 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take $200 next time, better than nothing. They will never be able to locate this guy, tag was proly stolen anyway. Never refuse to be resonable.... most of them never stop after collision just keep going. So he was semidecent alien heheh...

Similar story was told to me as a aneqdote, guy moved to far into intersection at red light, so he backed off, unfortunately he hit woman`s car in process.
Woman pops out yelling and screaming, guy ofer her appology and money (damage wasn`t big, slow speed bender...) She refuses and curses the guy. Tired man calls police reports woman rearended him. Cops arrive, woman gets ticket, guyt gets insurance money. Live and learn.
Old 12-28-05, 06:13 AM
legendary
Racer

Remember - we are given new mercies every day.

The law of reaping and sowing is real. It could happen to you, where you would need someone's mercy. How? Let's say you rear end my F430. Your insurance is going to rape you, and then drop you. I agree with Eurojulian here.

Besides, you said it was not noticable. Picture you hitting my car and offering me $200.00. Should I take it? I can barely see it, but I think I want your insurance company to handle this. I am sure you would be "out" too. Not defending his folly, but let's keep the bashing of other nationalities out of this forum. It is not becoming of us as decent citizens.
Old 12-28-05, 06:53 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Same thing happened to me at a gas station guy came out told me a sad story and offered me $250. I knew I was getting 97 conversion so it wasn't a big deal to me. *ahem* yes i took the money
Old 12-28-05, 08:07 AM
XSTeknique
Pole Position

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, I must say I'm kicking myself for not taking the money now and it'll probably end up that I won't end up getting anything out of this. Yeah, I did say it wasn't that noticeable, but I had previously been hit twice on my bumper so a repaint would've been in order one way or another. I've learned my lesson. My insurance company is tracking his info as we speak, but if my insurance premium is going to be affected then screw it. Oh and just so you guys can realize how unlucky I am, this would make my 4th time getting hit on the SC and I was previously hit atleast 5 times on my Celica. None were my fault. I'm cursed, what can I say? As for bashing other nationalities, that wasn't my intention, especially since I myself am a minority. I just have a bone to pick with anyone living in the United States that hasn't made it a point to attempt to learn English. "When in Rome..." LoL It's a pet peeve of mine working in retail and all.
Old 12-28-05, 08:28 AM
Last5Spd
Pole Position

my mom and dad got hit in their car (rearended on the way to a funeral)

it was actually a family friend. my parents were coming to a red light and my dad being a driver of over 39 years and also a New York City Taxi cab driver slowed down and is a very careful driver. the guy behind him the family friend rearended him because he pushed the gas instead of the brake. when they both got out immediaetly he admitted fault saying he pushed gas instead of brake. At first they didnt call the cops being friend and all but when this jackass' father showed up he told his son to change the story that someone else hit him and in turn they hit my dad.

After my dad hears this he calls the cops for his own protection. Cops get both sides of the story and police report is filed.

My dad makes a claim with his insurance company that this guy hit him and his insurance company pay for the damages. His company denies that he was at fault.Now what happen was our insurance company sued for damages. We didnt file a personal Lawsuit or anything our insurance company did. We had around 10k in medical expenses (mom drove to hospital, doctor visits, chiropractor..etc...) his insurance company didnt wanna pay a cent because someone else supposedly rearended him and ran off. i think litigation went on for around 4 years almost 5.

conclusion was their insurance was still not gonna claim fault but they would pay around 8k in damages. yet still not admitting to fault just to settle the lawsuit. My lawyer got 25% of that.

if something like this happened agian.. Id probably beat the **** outta the person who rearends me and trys to bull**** me saying some crap like that. People these days are freakin idiots.

you live and learn.

the theory of beat *** and and ask questions later works real well.
Old 12-28-05, 09:41 AM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

ARGH!!! I just got hit too.....damnit.....

I went to see a movie two nights ago (Memoirs of a Geisha...which was really good BTW), and yesterday when I went out to look at my car, I noticed someone had hit my car white getting out of a parking spot. The damage is right behind the driverside rear wheel...and it isn't all that bad...not much paint / scratch damage, but its a pretty big (but shallow) dent.. I think I can get it banged out, but it just irks me to no end when bastards obviously hit someone elses car, and they just take off....I wish I could get my hands on that bastard........

oh...any advice on the best to way to get the dent banged out? I'll take a picture of it later and post it.....argh....
Old 12-28-05, 11:24 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XSTeknique
SOMEONE IS GETTING DEPORTED!!!
NOT NECESSARY! We dont go on these forums to disrespect or make insults towards others no matter what ethnicity they are.

You say you took a picture of the plates, why are you upset? Thats is some valuable piece of info. Just go to your local DMV or police officer and get the driver's address from the plates. You then report it to the Police and they personally go to the address and bust the person who "hit and ran". The person who hit you is now looking at a Hit and Run which is worse then just being at fault for a regular accident. If he tried to offer you money then he probably doesnt have a license or insurance. To make a long story short, you are looking at alot of money from the guy. I agree with you, our rear bumper are pretty strong and can take a couple hard hits. Ive been in 3 hit and runs. 2 of them I cought. I had to break the law a couple times but the point is I cought them. Something like also happend to a friend of mine. His situation is very similar to yours actually. The driver who hit him didnt have a license, no insurance, and was under age. He did what I just told you to do and he got $1800 easy for a scratch that is 3 inches long. My friend just kept the money and buffed out the scratch. Its that easy. Any way good luck and please no disrespect.
Old 12-28-05, 11:49 AM
Last5Spd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cheungsta
ARGH!!! I just got hit too.....damnit.....

I went to see a movie two nights ago (Memoirs of a Geisha...which was really good BTW), and yesterday when I went out to look at my car, I noticed someone had hit my car white getting out of a parking spot. The damage is right behind the driverside rear wheel...and it isn't all that bad...not much paint / scratch damage, but its a pretty big (but shallow) dent.. I think I can get it banged out, but it just irks me to no end when bastards obviously hit someone elses car, and they just take off....I wish I could get my hands on that bastard........

oh...any advice on the best to way to get the dent banged out? I'll take a picture of it later and post it.....argh....

was this at krikorian? i dunno if you remember me but iam from that liquor store off redlands blvd
Old 12-28-05, 12:23 PM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

eeeeeeeeeek
Old 12-28-05, 12:37 PM
Will400
Driver

Default I'm with you!!!!

Wow, I just dealt with the same situation. I was sitting still and got rear ended. The insurance company claims their driver said he was hit by another vehicle. Get this, nothing was mentioned to the responding officer no on the police report but the insurance company is still denying my claim. I should have gone thru my own in the first place and eventually did. I probably won't ever see my deductible or I will have forgotten about it by the time I see a fraction of it.
So let's roll on anyone who runs into us, get the $ to apply to our deductibles and still go balistic on the idiots.

Originally Posted by Last5Spd
my mom and dad got hit in their car (rearended on the way to a funeral)

it was actually a family friend. my parents were coming to a red light and my dad being a driver of over 39 years and also a New York City Taxi cab driver slowed down and is a very careful driver. the guy behind him the family friend rearended him because he pushed the gas instead of the brake. when they both got out immediaetly he admitted fault saying he pushed gas instead of brake. At first they didnt call the cops being friend and all but when this jackass' father showed up he told his son to change the story that someone else hit him and in turn they hit my dad.

After my dad hears this he calls the cops for his own protection. Cops get both sides of the story and police report is filed.

My dad makes a claim with his insurance company that this guy hit him and his insurance company pay for the damages. His company denies that he was at fault.Now what happen was our insurance company sued for damages. We didnt file a personal Lawsuit or anything our insurance company did. We had around 10k in medical expenses (mom drove to hospital, doctor visits, chiropractor..etc...) his insurance company didnt wanna pay a cent because someone else supposedly rearended him and ran off. i think litigation went on for around 4 years almost 5.

conclusion was their insurance was still not gonna claim fault but they would pay around 8k in damages. yet still not admitting to fault just to settle the lawsuit. My lawyer got 25% of that.

if something like this happened agian.. Id probably beat the **** outta the person who rearends me and trys to bull**** me saying some crap like that. People these days are freakin idiots.

you live and learn.

the theory of beat *** and and ask questions later works real well.
Old 12-28-05, 12:42 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Last5Spd
was this at krikorian? i dunno if you remember me but iam from that liquor store off redlands blvd
Yup...over at Krikorian....dam parking over there sux a$$
Old 12-28-05, 05:33 PM
legendary
Racer

Thanks Jspec, but it is not necessary to keep it going. I have addressed it, now let's move on like civilized adults.

Quick Reply: Factory rear bumper is invincible! (nearly)