SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What inspired you to get an SC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-05, 02:12 PM
XxSC400xX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What inspired you to get an SC?

Hi! This is my first post here, although I've been lurking around using the search button for quite some time. I was thinking about the series of events that led me to purchase my SC and decided that I would share it here.
I originally was set on purchasing an Integra GSR (I know, I know Blasphemy!) until one day I saw an LS in a bowling alley parking lot with a "For Sale" sign on it. Included on this sign was the price of $4,300, well below what I had saved. This bounced around in my head until I got home where I immediately started searching online. I found out that many older model Lexus cars could be had for very reasonable prices. The seed was now planted. I began noticing any and all Lexus on the road. A few days later I happened to drive my friends new (at the time) Solara and was quite taken by the luxury found inside. Now the obsession grows. Knowing this car's interior is somewhat similar to the SC, I search online some more and came across Planetsoarer.com. and intellexual.net. I must have read every single article on each of those sites and eventually came across the video/sounds section of Planet Soarer. After seeing and hearing Peter Scott's beautiful car in action I fell completely in love. I was hooked! I found the car I wanted at a dealership and put a deposit down. The only things that kept me from going crazy during the week or so it took do do all the paperwork were the two aforementioned sites and the photo gallery found here on Club Lexus. I finally took it home, washed it again (the dealer also washed it) and have been loving it ever since!
Old 12-28-05, 02:19 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Default Awesome

Congrats on the car. More and more people will do the same thing as they realize what a terrific value these vehicles are.

I absolutely love the Lexus SC coupes. I could go out and buy most any car but why have a $1,000 payment on a vehicle (or $500 whatever) each month? There really is no other car out there that has the same appeal to me, though I did almost buy an older Carrera 4 this summer.

As I contemplated that purchase (alot more than what I got my latest SC for) my wife asked why I was looking at that when all I ever talk about is the lexy coupe....

So here I am, with coupe #3 and looking for #4 to add not replace.
Old 12-28-05, 03:06 PM
onlylexus8
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

becuase an sc300 is a lexus bodied n/a mkiv.
Old 12-28-05, 03:57 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Welcome to club lexus. We've had a few threads on this so you can see more responses with a search.

For me, I was tired of paying for 9 mpg in my 4x4 Yukon. It was nicer than my SC, since it was a deluxe Yukon with multimedia option, black on black, black brush guard, etc..... However the SC was a nice out and I loved it from the night I got it. ...... so much that I bought 2
Old 12-28-05, 04:12 PM
Instructor

I wanted a 93+ Twin Turbo Supra, but wasn't rich enough. I owned 2 supras in the past. 88 non-turbo with lots of upgrades such as HKS chip, K&N intake, Fully modified exhaust with downpipe (no cat back), body kit, gt black wing...etc. I sold the car because my cylinders were loosing compression (after continous months of racing once in a while)... And the other was an 89 turbo in which I got into a car accident with some people. It wasn't my fault and also the people drove w/o insurance. I sold that thing off and I got an eagle talon. I wanted to have fun with 4 wheel drive, and so I did. Raced a couple of people and got bored. Sold that off and still felt the urge for a twin turbo or n/a supra. I found a 93 n/a for $11k but someone already bought it. Then I bought an ES300 and it was one of the best cars I had for it's condition. But I still wanted more power. Later I searched and searched on the net and found an SC300. I thought "eh, it's good enough, it has a 2JZ, so it's still what I want anyway." So I bought the SC300 from S.F. near highway 101 for $6K. Yep it was that cheap-but for a long talk with the dealer. It had 104K on it. But it was a 92. (I wanted something like a 93+) But it's cool though. It has a lot of torque. I'm happy with the SC.

Last edited by 3000; 12-28-05 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-28-05, 04:19 PM
Arizona
Lead Lap

Fall '99.
Phoenix, Arizona.
Mountain Pointe High School

My friend(a MK4 owner) amd I are looking at our friends New SC300. He tells me it has 2jzge in it. Im like no way. Hood popped ...Ideas roll....."So can I could possibly put a GTE in here right pretty easy" I asked. My friend(mk4 owner) said "i dont see why not", that would be awesome." Months later Clint Pohler post videos off him spankin everything in his TurboSC. Then it stuck.

Thats about it.
Old 12-28-05, 04:20 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

need i say more? actually it was the pic of manarays car with the bvulgari store in the back, but i cant find it at the moment. i had several motivations to get an SC, and this had to be one of the major ones.
Old 12-28-05, 04:27 PM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Ladies love the lexus.
Old 12-28-05, 05:41 PM
legendary
Racer

Default Do you mean this?

Originally Posted by nysupraman

need i say more? actually it was the pic of manarays car with the bvulgari store in the back, but i cant find it at the moment. i had several motivations to get an SC, and this had to be one of the major ones.

For me, it was on my "to get" list. I've wanted many different vehicles for different reasons...and after a while, I will pursue them. The SC400 was one of mine from way back. I guess I have always had a thing for classy or muscular cars....or ones that combine the best of both. An SC can be made gorgeous with very little work.....not mention powerful like its cousin (with luxurious full interior).

Last edited by legendary; 12-28-05 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-28-05, 06:00 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 3000
I wanted a 93+ Twin Turbo Supra, but wasn't rich enough.
That's my reason too! I drove a Civic DX with nitrous before I bought mine... so upgrading to RWD, luxury and the somewhat 'secret' sports car appeal of the SC with it's Supra parts and compatibility was fuel for the fire. I looked for 2 years for a 5 speed before I finally found one in my area for the right price. I'll place a little blame on Clints old videos too...when I saw those a few years back that was pure inspiration. When I saw Chino's car at school on the dyno it made me want one even more too lol.

Last edited by codetoad; 12-28-05 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-28-05, 06:05 PM
Psionic
Lead Lap

There were a few little things that made me want one, but the nail in the coffin was this:
http://bdubbownzyou.com/sc300/Chrissc300.wmv

Now that I have it, I am spoiled rotten. If I were to get another car, it would just be another SC.
Old 12-28-05, 06:15 PM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Psionic
There were a few little things that made me want one, but the nail in the coffin was this:
http://bdubbownzyou.com/sc300/Chrissc300.wmv.

LOL

I 've wanted one since I bought my 1st gen GS 300. I promissed myself I would own one.
Happened to find one ..(2000 with 9252 on the clock)
BTW......It's not at 9252 anymore
Old 12-28-05, 06:23 PM
PsiQo1
Lead Lap

plain and simple...its sexy and luxurious...what about it is there not to love?
Old 12-28-05, 07:09 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

I fell in love with the SC back in high school also. Wow 5 years ago already. But anyway a freind of mines mom had a 98 SC400 that had to be the cleanest I have ever seen a women keep a car. The damn thing still sparkles to this day. But I fell in love with the way the car flowed. It's build quality and a slew of other things. And like stated above, after seeing Clint's vids, it was a done deal. I really don't think there is another car that I am more devoted to. And I'm coming from my first car being a 97 Camaro SS and then moving onto a '91 Z32 TT. Garbage compaired to the SC. So timeless. I could hump one.
Old 12-29-05, 08:10 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My first car was a 69 Plymouth Sattelite, if you don't know what that is it looks identical to the Superbee. Next was a 73 then a 77 Monte Carlo. Skip several cars...a 93 then 96 Camaro. As you can see, I've always liked big coupes. In 2001 I went to the dealer to buy a new is300. Then I saw the used car lot with several SC's. The car I always wanted was affordable. It has everything I love, except great power but it adequate. It's long and sleek. Low and wide. Stylish and sporty and is a big coupe. Add the luxurious interior and it's the perfect car. Well, almost perfect. Wish it had 300 ponies under the hood. It's fast but needs to be quicker. On the other hand, the bigger they are the harder they.....stop. It's perfect the way it is.

Quick Reply: What inspired you to get an SC?