SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Corbeau or sparco in a sc300?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-06, 08:19 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corbeau or sparco in a sc300?

I'm looking for racing seats right now and have narrowed it down to 3 seats and i need your input

i'm looking at the Corbeau A4's and the Sparco torino and siena's. I think the torino looks better than the siena but the siena weighs 10lbs less. The A4's are the lightest of the bunch but i'm afraid they won't be comfortable/durable. My friend has a4's and they were touching his roll bar and the fabric ripped from daily driving. Here's the weights

Torino 40lbs
Siena 30lbs
A4's 25lbs

With the A4's at half the price and lighter than the other two, it should be a no-brainer but i'm not sure about their quality? I would consider a non-adjustible seat for weight savings if they had at a big enough angle but i've never sat in them so i'm not sure how much they recline as this will be a street/stip car (with no back seats, but i don't want to be forced to sit straight up either). Anyone have or sat in these seats? Let me know your thoughts...

Tony
Old 01-14-06, 08:22 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corbeau all the way !!!
Old 01-14-06, 08:30 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
Corbeau all the way !!!
+1. Sparco are cheaply made.
Old 01-14-06, 08:34 PM
KAME
Driver

I would recommend sitting in them before you make your decision. I would advise against the Sparco Sienna, but I do like the feel and build quality of the Torino's. I wanted Corbeau's as well (cheaper and lighter), but when I went and sat in them, I was very disappointed. I tried the entire Corbeau lineup. I ended up getting Sparco's.
Old 01-14-06, 08:36 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
+1. Sparco are cheaply made.
Why do you say that? I thought they were top notch?

Tony
Old 01-14-06, 08:39 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by technik
I would recommend sitting in them before you make your decision. I would advise against the Sparco Sienna, but I do like the feel and build quality of the Torino's. I wanted Corbeau's as well (cheaper and lighter), but when I went and sat in them, I was very disappointed. I tried the entire Corbeau lineup. I ended up getting Sparco's.
What sparco did you go with?
Old 01-14-06, 08:45 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by technik
What's wrong with the sienna? As far as i know, we don't have anywhere that stocks seats in MN at least without a considerable drive so i might have to wing it a bit.
Old 01-14-06, 08:48 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

i was goin to get corbeau. its ALOT cheaper. and i like the suede.
Old 01-14-06, 09:08 PM
KAME
Driver

Originally Posted by flossn
What's wrong with the sienna? As far as i know, we don't have anywhere that stocks seats in MN at least without a considerable drive so i might have to wing it a bit.
Well, maybe I have a fat ***, but the Corbeau's were uncfortable and felt too snug. I'm 6'1", 185lbs fyi. As for the Sienna's, they feel like they look, cheap. They are the "economy" Sparco recliner. Torino's feel very durable and the material is a thick canvas type with reinforced bolsters. The final decision is up to you, but I've sat in them all. As for the brackets, they weren't "a perfect fit", and did take some persuasion with various tools.

Last edited by technik; 01-15-06 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-15-06, 10:34 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking for racing seats right now and have narrowed it down to 3 seats and i need your input

i'm looking at the Corbeau A4's and the Sparco torino and siena's. I think the torino looks better than the siena but the siena weighs 10lbs less. The A4's are the lightest of the bunch but i'm afraid they won't be comfortable/durable. My friend has a4's and they were touching his roll bar and the fabric ripped from daily driving. Here's the weights

Torino 40lbs
Siena 30lbs
A4's 25lbs

With the A4's at half the price and lighter than the other two, it should be a no-brainer but i'm not sure about their quality? I would consider a non-adjustible seat for weight savings if they had at a big enough angle but i've never sat in them so i'm not sure how much they recline as this will be a street/stip car (with no back seats, but i don't want to be forced to sit straight up either). Anyone have or sat in these seats? Let me know your thoughts...

Tony
Quality:
I have the A4's.....pretty good for the price in terms of structural rigidy. The black cloth on my seats has faded in various areas due the southern california sun 24/7. I'm going to custom wrap them later. The memory foam does and still works great. I can drive for hours straight and not get fatigued with these seats, honestly. I had the mindset of not driving my SC that much when considering buying these seats but how can I not drive my coupe? I've logged over 50K miles with these seats...LoL

Purpose:
They are a little on the stiff side. Sparcos are a much softer seat. As far has holding you in, the A4's certainly do the job. Coupled with Schroth Harnesses, you ain't goin' nowhere!

Comfort:
These seats fit me dead on. In fact, no room for movement or freeplay. I think I should have gone with the Wide version instead. They cost a few more bucks and my passengers wouldn't have to complain about the seat sides rubbing up against their thighs(Not everybody who rides with me is the ideal size, not to be mean...).

Cool Factor :
Looks-wise, these had the shape I was looking for. I'm very picky with bucket seats and the A4's had the look and shape of the Sparco Torino but for much less. Plus, they're functionally re-clinable. I have them mounted to matching Corbeau seat bases made for the Supra. They bolt in perfectly and they even slide back and forth, just like any other manually adjustable seat. I don't miss power seats at all.......

Here's a pic of what they look like from the front. It's the only current pic I have....
Attached Thumbnails Corbeau or sparco in a sc300?-soarer5.jpg  
Old 01-15-06, 11:26 AM
flossn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC400Dude
Quality:
I have the A4's.....pretty good for the price in terms of structural rigidy. The black cloth on my seats has faded in various areas due the southern california sun 24/7. I'm going to custom wrap them later. The memory foam does and still works great. I can drive for hours straight and not get fatigued with these seats, honestly. I had the mindset of not driving my SC that much when considering buying these seats but how can I not drive my coupe? I've logged over 50K miles with these seats...LoL

Purpose:
They are a little on the stiff side. Sparcos are a much softer seat. As far has holding you in, the A4's certainly do the job. Coupled with Schroth Harnesses, you ain't goin' nowhere!

Comfort:
These seats fit me dead on. In fact, no room for movement or freeplay. I think I should have gone with the Wide version instead. They cost a few more bucks and my passengers wouldn't have to complain about the seat sides rubbing up against their thighs(Not everybody who rides with me is the ideal size, not to be mean...).

Cool Factor :
Looks-wise, these had the shape I was looking for. I'm very picky with bucket seats and the A4's had the look and shape of the Sparco Torino but for much less. Plus, they're functionally re-clinable. I have them mounted to matching Corbeau seat bases made for the Supra. They bolt in perfectly and they even slide back and forth, just like any other manually adjustable seat. I don't miss power seats at all.......

Here's a pic of what they look like from the front. It's the only current pic I have....
Thanks for the in depth review! Do you think the wider versions would fit well or would they rub?
The list the A4's for up to a 34" waist and i'm a 36" so I might need the bigger ones. Those are listed for up to a 40" waist, of course then i run the risk of sliding around in them? Choices, choices, lol
Old 01-15-06, 11:32 AM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any better pics of the seats in an SC?
Old 01-15-06, 01:21 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the in depth review! Do you think the wider versions would fit well or would they rub?
The list the A4's for up to a 34" waist and i'm a 36" so I might need the bigger ones. Those are listed for up to a 40" waist, of course then i run the risk of sliding around in them? Choices, choices, lol
You're not gonna slide around too much. I've sat in my buddy's 02 Tacoma and his seats are pretty flat. You don't slide around at all. When you have your seat belts on, they'll hold you in place. If your doing competition stuff, then a set of harnesses will do the trick. I don't track my car and my belts are there basically for show. I can utilize both my stock and aftermarket belts.

If you're a size 36 waist,like I am, then the wide version would benefit you. I have plenty of room on either side to actually accept a wider seat in my SC.

Here's an old pic I found, and the seats sit pretty low, although not on the ground like other brackets.
Attached Thumbnails Corbeau or sparco in a sc300?-soarer-4.0.jpg  
Old 01-15-06, 01:40 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

looks good! I am also probably going to do the black carpet as well so the seats don't look so out of place. I'm sure Lexus gets some big $ for it though. Thanks for the info.... helped make my decision!
Old 01-15-06, 02:39 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

sc400dude, im curious as to how much lower the seats sit, any estimation? also, what brackets are you using, and how are your harnesses mounted?

Quick Reply: Corbeau or sparco in a sc300?