Falken Ziex sucked for me.
Good year eagle F1 is the best bang for the buck tire IMO
Old 01-17-06, 02:31 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeXuSrAcIn
My tires are Falkens
I would also have to agree with Soarer_25GTT. I too have Falkens in the rear and I slip even on dry roads and Im not even smashing it. The tires are 245/50/16 on stock wheels. I told my friend about it and he says its because they were mostly meant for drifting but I dont know. By the way do you have an SC4? If yes then I feel your pain.
Old 01-17-06, 02:38 PM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what tires came stock on the Sc?
because i have some nice fairly new goodyears on stock rims 225/55/16s and i only spin in the rain at close to WOT.
Old 01-17-06, 03:29 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Default Falkens ok for me

I was reading this post with some concern earier today.....

My 93 400 was at the shop getting new tires and a remote start & speakers.. you should have seen the installer look at me kinda crazy when I gave him the print outs from my NakHack along with the pages from the FSM along with my schematic for the install.

Anyway, the point of the post is that I had them put on Falken ZE-329's at $104 each installed with all the blah blah blah.

Drove the 00 300 with brand new pilot sports on her there in the snowy/sleety/icy weather (no accumulation on the roads, but it was rainy all day until the cold 28° F, came in and it changed to snow - NOT ideal by any means). She did fine and I kept thinking cr@p, those posts said the falkens are no good...

Drove the 92 400 home and she did just fine also. It took effort to get trac on with both.

Just my obeservations.
Peter
Old 01-17-06, 06:56 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

The tires are on 98 LS400 rims which are 8.5 inches wide all around. Again, I've been through Pirelli's, Michelins, and now these and they ALL have the same problem. NO TRACTION!! I wish I would have bought the SC with traction control.
Old 01-17-06, 07:50 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 933005spd
She did fine and I kept thinking cr@p, those posts said the falkens are no good...
I dont think recall anyone saying they were no good. Just that they tend to not grip. Ive driven an SC4 on drag radials on wet and dry road conditions and I had gripping problems. But I never broke loose all the time. Just a quick chirp to be specific. On my SC3 when I down shift in the rain I swerve and start to whip but it only breaks loose for a bit. I guess it might have to do a bit with the way you drive your beast.
Old 01-17-06, 08:03 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Originally Posted by LeXuSrAcIn
The tires are on 98 LS400 rims which are 8.5 inches wide all around. Again, I've been through Pirelli's, Michelins, and now these and they ALL have the same problem. NO TRACTION!! I wish I would have bought the SC with traction control.

I know you probably dont want to buy tires again but I had some Bridgestone Potenza's on my car and they were great, even with no tread left.

Try replacing your LCA bushings, and your steering rack bushings. I don't really know what else you could do??? I have a SC300 5spd and I'm sure you know this but I can't give it a TON of gas without breaking at least one wheel loose in a turn. Are the Falken's brand new, how old are they?
Old 01-17-06, 10:46 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im confused when are you guys loosing traction?? Is it really that big of a problem, cause I dont have that much trouble and I make plenty of power. Are you sure the problem isn't behind the steering wheel?
Old 01-18-06, 04:50 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

LOL 90redsupra!

This AM the 400 with the new falkens did really well on a slick icy surface. I tried to get her to loose it in the business park here and it took some effort. Yeah, the Trac helps when I punch it from a standing start on icy streets....

My 400 needs new bushes on the LCA's and steering but still did ok. Of course these falkens have like 20 miles on them.
Old 01-18-06, 07:46 AM
PHLSingle
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 90redsupra
Im confused when are you guys loosing traction?? Is it really that big of a problem, cause I dont have that much trouble and I make plenty of power. Are you sure the problem isn't behind the steering wheel?
Ding ding ding....we have a winner. Driver and/or Tires....

I make decent power, car is an old '92 with old bushings....drove just fine this morning in pouring rain.
Old 01-18-06, 08:11 AM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PHLSingle
Ding ding ding....we have a winner. Driver and/or Tires....

I make decent power, car is an old '92 with old bushings....drove just fine this morning in pouring rain.
Nah its not me. I drive 3 other cars and dont have any traction problem with them whatsoever. And the sad thing is all of them have more power than the SC. My Falkens have about 5k miles on them. My car in general has 247k miles so it might be some suspension components that are causing it. I've replaced the steering rack bushings and have coilovers. Next mod is LCAs I guess.
Old 01-18-06, 07:23 PM
dough boi
Pole Position

I don't have a huge problem with traction, I mean I can roast em off the line no problem, but the 6-puck clutch might have something to do with that I do think that SC's are tail happy though, both of mine get sideways with little effort, and I don't believe its because of worn suspension, because I had everything replaced on the 400, still is on stock springs/struts though from a lower mileage SC. Anytime I take a corner agressive I can count on the tail kicking out, this is with no trail braking by the way, just a regular heel-toe and powering out of the corner.
Old 02-05-06, 07:51 PM
prodigy
Driver School Candidate

got my sc400 for around 2 years now and it seems like the traction is prety bad in the snow even with my traction control on and when it rains the wheels spin a little at aceleration where as on turns when the gas is aplied the car really looses all traction. well what can i say rear wheel drive with that kinda power. My old 93 acura legend performed much better traction wise with its front wheels but thats a given.
Old 02-05-06, 09:40 PM
AbstractSC
Driver School Candidate

Just a scary and embarassing story, I slid the first day I got my SC4. Did a U-turn and tried to speed out, but end up sliding to the other lane Scared the freak out of me. Gonna get new rims and tires once I get my HID lights. Still debating what tires to get.
Old 02-05-06, 11:33 PM
prodigy
Driver School Candidate

i got 10000k hids on mine right now. but seems like its not so bright so imma take it all apart, clean and buff the lense. also need to play around and tweak the angles and pitch. my 3000k high beams should arive by next week cant wait. McCulloch kit for 200 bucks shiped to my house prety nice deal. wonder what kinda projectors i can find that would fit into the high beam(fog light). dun want to get pull over hehe. tried puting my 10k in and bright like hell ofcorse mostly glare and unfocuse.

Quick Reply: Why does traction hate my SC??