SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

*@@*Go to the ES forum and read a THREAD.. PLEASE*@*

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-01, 10:41 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Red face

"Merury/Lexus partnership" thread started by Hoops... about the 2002 ES300...

http://pressroom.toyota.com/

What is/are your opinion(s) of Hoops, Manaray and my statements as well as the others...

I'm glad you guys on this forum are open minded.

Hoops the car is as HIDEOUS as a Mercury Sable as you said... especially from the side view...:eek: :eek: :eek:

The Ikon

Last edited by The Ikon; 08-12-01 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-10-01, 12:13 PM
joegolf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I've just completed the thread on the ES Forum. Wow, fireworks. I can sort of understand people are going to get defensive about their line of cars if they are devoted fans. Personally, I'll have to wait and see the new ES300 to decide if I like or not. Pictures just don't give me enough to go on.

I shied away from the ES 300 back in '96 and bought an I30T. I wanted more power than the ES was willing to give. I sold the I30 when I got the 96 SC400 with only 20K miles on it, in like new condition!

I did look at the ES300 and the same thing, no power. I almost waited for the new I35 which is suppose to come with a standard 260 HP. I write these complaints here, as I have been told that Lexus reads these posts and gets some feeling for what we are thinking. Lexus should really consider pumping up some horsepower. Lexus is living off a great name, as they should, but the reality is Infiniti is a better car in some ways in both the I35 and the Q45 and offers a heck of a car. I, as many of you though, want to stay with Lexus because it is simply a great car line, warts and all.
Last night visitors stayed at my house. They are Americans living in Tokyo for the past 30 years (where I met them while attending high school in Japan.)

They told me how the Japanese police drive the SC400 and 300, known there as the "Soarer" (not sure about the spelling.) He told me the SC300 has twin turbos and 300 HP. They sold new for about $40K there but are right wheel drive so importing is not practical (especially in California.) Wow, 300 HP with a 6 cyl. What would it be on the SC400?

They also told me that the Lexus line is built on vanilla. This is not a put-down at all. It is the corporate philosophy not to take many risks in their designs. Not sure, as the SC400 and SC430 were pretty much way beyond vanilla. He also believes there is a chip for the Soarer that could be used on the SC line. When he returns to Japan, he is going to check out the chip and let me know.

Well, Ikon, you helped in getting the juices flowing over on the ES3 Forum. I loved the pic of your car and thought overall that you had every right to voice your opinion of the new 2002 ES line, just as you have about the SC430 line. Good job and the mrb guy isn't worth a second thought. Love your posts.

Joe
Old 08-10-01, 02:53 PM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default Funny thread....

Read it and thought.... hmmmm.. trippy... anyways... yes the SC in Japan does have a Inline 6 Twin turbo SC called the Soarer... and it actually comes with about 280 hp stock, but you can massage 340hp easy (just exhaust mods). As for using them as Jap police cars... lol... that's sweet.
Old 08-10-01, 03:13 PM
hoops_24
Pole Position

IKON- I don't see how those guys over there can say that I started anything when mrb jumped me on his very first message. We all know that I aint gonna take that! I have had my battles with IKON, Manaray, and others, but it is always in fun. Usually I come away more informed than before. Those guys started getting all personal and stuff. (Of course I responded in kind)

JoeGolf- You're giving IKON too much credit. The pic was mine and they ASKED me to post it. Some got offended that it was posted even though it was requested. Pretty ridiculous stuff.

I don't know why my posts infuriate people so much. Maybe I take this as more of a lighthearted and info forum than a serious discussion type forum. Actually it should be a combination of all three.

Well gotta go so that I can think up another post that will get the masses on me. (Joking)

IKON, thanks for the support man. It says alot about your character being that we battled in the past. I think we both call them as we see them. That's an admirable trait.

B Webb

Old 08-10-01, 03:24 PM
joegolf
Rookie

Thumbs up oops

Hoops_24

Sorry about that! I went through the thread twice and kept getting lost as to who was who. So that's your SC posted?! Beautiful car! I did think it was funny with the Mork and egg thing though!

I agree that your thread started out as a simple statement and some of the people couldn't get past their emotional response that you simply did not like the new design of the ES300's. Guess it is kinda like somebody feeling they had to protect a family member or something to that effect. Oh well, it made good reading. Have a good one Hoops!

Joe
Old 08-10-01, 04:14 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Talking I needed that debate to sharpen my fangs...

No problem Hoops, I'm a fair MAN, that can take it and dish it out. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but an opinion is just that and OPINION right... Some people need to get a life and stop taking a forum or any debate so personally. I know you can!!! Let's agree to disagree sometimes, hell we are not in Smurf village and every thing is not going to be smurfie!!!

Joe, I'm glad you took the time to browse the ES forum and to post here. The ES is a nice car, but it is not a powerful one or is it meant to be. It is meant to be the entry level auto to LEXUS period! I wanted one back in the day when the SC was out my reach.

I opted for a 300ZX instead. I would still take an ES3 for a good 2nd car or if I wanted a top quality sedan a great price around $10 - 12,000 I'll get an 94 - 95 ES3 or a 93' GS3.

I wish you other guys will take the time to read that thread there and not respond like that on our forums to other model owners. Let's all learn from others mistakes or ignorance.

Thomas
Old 08-10-01, 04:18 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

god I hate it when I get a smurfie!
Old 08-10-01, 04:33 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Talking Manaray do you think Smurfette was a freak?

:eek:

Manaray, what is the world coming to? Do we all have to be cheerie and gay to be normal now?

I know how you feel about knock off wheels and I don't give a F@#K that's your opinion. If you and others think my ride sucks tell me, because you all may see something I don't... and visa versa

Lexus USA... STOP with the ugly *** designs... Stop trying to be like every one else... That's not what made you #1...

Thomas
Old 08-10-01, 09:35 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can't we all just get along!

Y’know – after reading posts on CL for about 6 months, you kinda get to like-know some of the members – no, you can’t psychoanalyze anybody that way, but over time the TRUTH surfaces. The truth is neither hoops or ikon has ever INSTIGATED a personal attack against anyone – both guys volunteer opinions freely – can you say OPINIONS? Ikon is probably one of the most helpful members around. Anyone that can’t stand a dissenting opinion needs to SHUT UP and just listen (read).

I have to say that’s the first time that I’ve ever visited the ES forum – I’ve had better experiences at the proctologist. Speaking of proctologists, a couple of those guys would’ve made good thesis subjects. Not all were a$$holes, just a couple. Maybe they’ll toke up and tune out.

An what the hell was that ignorant comment about hoops (superfine) ride’s color? That is truly GODDuh’s color – he invented it just for SCs. Ref: Ezekiel 7-10.

Old 08-11-01, 06:58 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Ikon - You KNOW Smurfette was the town ho!

I completely agree with your "tell me if my ride sucks" attitude because someone may point something out that you didn't notice or know about (like fake knock-off wheels...)

Old 08-11-01, 09:21 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Red face Proctologist!!!!!!!!!

OUCH!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: Thanks for the kind words Garnet, but all of you guys have been great and helpful to me as well. That's what a club is about internet or not...

Then to think we are supposed to be afraid of the GS compared to the SC... Now that's FUNNY.. Were my facts in line about the cars?

Plus, Manaray when I get some $900 18" wheels I'll be waiting on you..... So be prepared!!!
Old 08-11-01, 12:15 PM
hoops_24
Pole Position

IKON you sure have been helpful with your knowledge so take the credit.
Manaray has been very helpful too with his knowledge of rims and kits. Manny was instrumental in me picking up my $1300 knock off Konig Imagine's :-)

I guess my value to the forum is starting some lively debates. Nothing personal, just good clean fun and meaningful dialogue. Hey, if it wasn't for me, nobody would know that Manaray loves to pay way too much for a stupid a** watch :-) We also wouldn't have known that IKON hates fragrance trees. (I now have an under the seat MIDO by the way!)

Keep the chatter coming fellas and let everyone else bow down to the Gen1 SC4......
Old 08-11-01, 07:43 PM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Cool

that was good reading, this section seems to be alot more laid back - glad I own an egg too.
Too bad I saw this thread after it was closed. I would have added my $0.02. About the only thing I didn't like was someone telling someone to go back to their own forum. There shouldn't be segregation on the internet of all places!
good fun!
Old 08-12-01, 02:10 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down Go to this site and click on the new ES3 for pics

I hate you could not add your .02 cents to the debate. Hey, also check this out...

http://pressroom.toyota.com/

Not pretty at all............

The Ikon
Old 08-12-01, 02:37 PM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default dammn...

Dammn... thats one ugly car... Now I know what you were talking about. They are still selling the old model ES in australia (fortunately). hehe... The new ES is soooo ugly in a wannabe fashion. It looks like it wants to be a old school SC (but too high) with the low bulbous front (but exaggerated to high heaven) and high windowline, but then it turns into half a GS in the middle where it's suddenly really high and steals the GS front grill, then looks like an Alfa at the rear which makes it look like the front is too low and the rear is too high. Looks funny. For a sedan I'd rather have a GS ARISTO or the older model ES. Fortunately I dont want a sedan as I have my SC...

Toan

Quick Reply: *@@*Go to the ES forum and read a THREAD.. PLEASE*@*