SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Body Kit Install...help please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06 | 11:37 AM
xxjad22xx
Rookie

Default Body Kit Install...help please!

I need a new front bumper for my sc4 so I had just planned on getting a JiC kit. I have searched the forums and people seem to never put the kit on themselves, they end up paying over $500 for installation. My question is this: why don't they just put the kit on themselves? How difficult is it to put a body kit on (no molding)?
Old 01-17-06 | 11:48 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

This is what happens when you don't know what you're doing when installing a body kit

Old 01-17-06 | 11:52 AM
xxjad22xx
Rookie

I don't get it, what's wrong with that car?

hahaha just kiddin. So you are saying it is impossible to install a body kit myself? I have no experience with this but isn't it just a bunch of bolts to screw in? I don't want to mold anything so I don't understand the big deal. Can someone just inform me on what makes the installation so difficult? thanks
Old 01-17-06 | 12:02 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

i dont see the big deal in taking one bumper off and putting another one on there.. its not rocket science
Old 01-17-06 | 12:11 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

No, it's definately possible to install your own body kit. But since it is something you have never done before you would need to be EXTRA careful and really take your time or it could come out looking like crap.

You also said "isn't it just a bunch of bolts to screw in?" and "I don't want to mold anything".

First, body kits tend to have fitment issues. Check the sticky at the top of the SC section and read up on you particular kit. No molding could mean poor fitment lines.

"Just bolting" on a bodykit would more than likely result in a Fart Canned Civic look. The SC is a refined luxury cruiser, treat it as such. The mismatched body panel and bolts sticking out the side look just don't compliment a Lexus.

I'm not trying to tell you not to do what you are planning, rather suggesting a better route to reach your main goal.
Old 01-17-06 | 12:24 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xxjad22xx
I need a new front bumper for my sc4 so I had just planned on getting a JiC kit. I have searched the forums and people seem to never put the kit on themselves, they end up paying over $500 for installation. My question is this: why don't they just put the kit on themselves? How difficult is it to put a body kit on (no molding)?

Step 1 : buy JIC kit
Step 2 : wait for JIC kit
Step 3 : Slowly take off bumper, sides, rear while memorizing the lock in placement of all the parts
Step 4 : Install JIC kit with what you learned in step 3 and document for the pictorial you're going to post up on CL.

you're done.
Old 01-17-06 | 02:22 PM
kietlander
Racer

putting on a kit that fits is cake. but puting on a kit that needs modding is a pain. first u need take off ur bumper. then test fit the new bumper. then drill holes. and bolt it up. its easy as putting on an oem bumper. IF its a perfect fitment.
Old 01-17-06 | 02:26 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

I dont think it is that hard. If you are installing a top notch bodykit such as a JIC body then I dont see why you should be worrying about fitment problems unless it is a knockoff. It is just mostly bolts and screws but you have to be careful and remember to put all of those bolts and screws back where they belong or else you might get a loose fitting kit that makes those sqeeky chirpy noises because its loose. So basically if you dont have experience or a good idea of what you are doing then I'd leave it to a shop to do all the work so nothing goes wrong.
Old 01-17-06 | 03:26 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

For what its worth... even the nicest aero products on the market sometimes require a little cutting here, a little griding there, and sometimes a little glass work to make it look perfect. That is why most people take their aero products to a respectable shop that is able to work with the pieces to ensure that the car has no gaps or strange lines.

You can tell when a piece is half assed in a garage becuase things just don't line up perfectly.
Old 01-17-06 | 05:19 PM
SimplyZBes
Masterhater

Default Hahaha

You can try to do it yourself but to get it right it will take a long time. As long as you don't mind the time, go ahead and try it yourself.
Old 01-17-06 | 05:42 PM
kietlander
Racer

i say try it. its not gonna hurt. and when u know it wont fit. then take it to get put on. make sure it a good place.
Old 01-17-06 | 08:55 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

yup. most of the time it isnt all about takin off and puttin on. sometimes you gotta mod things here and tehre to get it to fit good. ive done a few kits and most of the time had to mod it a lil bit.
Old 01-18-06 | 03:04 PM
xxjad22xx
Rookie

alright guys thanks for the help. I will try putting it on myself and if for one reaosn or another it won't work out, I will take it to a respectable shop. Thanks again
Old 01-19-06 | 09:59 AM
Sooot1
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up kit

well i installed a kit on my sc400 i work on my own car and the time i spent on it was about 8 hours
the front bumper is the hardest to do and the rear but depends on the kit you buy! just got to do alot of shaving and R & R just take your time and dont take short cuts

that my car that was posted in sf at the auto show
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196683