SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Service Intervals

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-01, 05:12 AM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 92 SC now has 75K on her and I'm wondering what preventative maintenance should be performed??

Is there a 75,000 mile service recommendation? My car is actually starting to run a little sluggish so I am thinking of a major tune-up, radiator flush/fill, spark wire and distributor replace, and air filter change.

Do I need to pay the Lexus premium price for this or should I trust a regular auto service shop with these items?

Your thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 08-12-01, 06:46 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

I'll go to a good repair shop for that one! Save yourself a couple $ bucks. While you are at it. Add an air intake w/maf adapter. If not go with a K&N panel filter.

On the radiator make sure they use the PROPER type of "red" fluid.

Also I would change the thermostat and o-ring gasket with a Lexus part... It'll only take 5 minutes to do that... Plus the serpetine v-belt with a Lexus belt only... for a better fit...
Old 12-04-01, 04:27 PM
808state
Driver

ikon-

what do you mean by "red." i noticed when my car was brand spanking new, the radiator fluid was red. when they changed it, it was green.

is there a toyota/lexus antifreeze that lexus should have used (do you have a name for it besides red?)?

btw, the radiator flush was done by lexus...
Old 12-04-01, 04:55 PM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The "red" antifreeze you speak of is a special antifreeze made after cars started coming with aluminum block and heads. You are supposed to use the "red" stuff. When they changed it to the "green" antifreeze, they did the wrong thing. I would have them change it back to the "red" stuff. They're supposed to know.
Old 12-04-01, 07:42 PM
rhart00
Pole Position

I work in the service department at a Lexus Dealership. Major services come every 15k miles with the a major one at 90k miles. The 90k service costs about $1000 or so but they do a major tune up on your car. Timing belt and water pumped replaced along filter changed, spark plugs, fluids, and a bunch of other stuff. I would definitely recommend this service to you when the time comes or I guess you could get it done now if you really wanted.
Old 12-05-01, 01:18 AM
808state
Driver

anyone have a name for this "red" antifreeze?

moshlub, if the "red" antifreeze is suppose to be used for aluminum heads, then i'm assuming that the reason is because of:
1) the different heat dissapation characteristics of aluminum as opposed to an iron head.
2) corrosion characterics i.e. chemical interaction between aluminum and the green stuff might be adverse?

i guess i'll have to bust out the manual and read up (if it is inside). and if the dealer did the wrong thing, boy are they going to have another earful from me...

ikon, where are u?
Old 12-05-01, 01:44 AM
808state
Driver

per el manual for a 1uz-fe engine (page eg 205, could they make this repair manual anymore harder to find stuff!)
*use a good brand of ethylene-glycol base coolant and mix it according to the manufacturers directions.

grade: "TOYOTA ANTIFREEZE LONG LIFE COOLANT" or equivalent

*using coolant which includes more than 50% ethylene-glycol (but not more than 70%) is recommended.

notice:
*do not use a alcohol type coolant
*the coolant should be mixed with demineralized water or distilled water.

capacity:
10.9 liters (11.5 us qts, 9.6 imp. qts.)
rhart00-
can you find out if the TOYOTA ANTIFREEZE LONG LIFE COOLANT is "red?" if it is red, why would lexus use an equivalent (i hope) antifreeze and not toyota type antifreeze?
Old 12-05-01, 06:08 AM
methodmf
Pole Position

anyone how often u should change the transmission fluid
i drove about 13k since the 90k service
the transmission shifts kind of rough now

how often should i wash the k&n filter
some say 3k others say 5
Old 12-05-01, 02:25 PM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by 808state
anyone have a name for this "red" antifreeze?

moshlub, if the "red" antifreeze is suppose to be used for aluminum heads, then i'm assuming that the reason is because of:
1) the different heat dissapation characteristics of aluminum as opposed to an iron head.
2) corrosion characterics i.e. chemical interaction between aluminum and the green stuff might be adverse?
Okay ... I did some research and found that, the "red" antifreeze we speak of here, is called DexCool(R).

Here is some information I found on the DexCool(R):
- "Protect aluminum engine components by reducing cavitation corrosion during high speed driving."
- "Provide for corrosion protection to ferrous metals."
- "Act as a buffer to keep the antifreeze mixture alkaline. This prevents acid build-up that will damage or destroy metal engine parts."

If you were to mix:
"If the coolants become mixed with Dexcool®, however, one study showed a possible aluminum corrosion problem in certain situations."

"I would not use Dexcool® in a vehicle that did not come from the factory with Dexcool® in the cooling system. It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to flush out all the conventional anti-freeze coolant from the cooling system of an older vehicle, and any conventional anti-freeze would contaminate the Dexcool®."

"Compared to old-fashioned phosphated antifreeze, Dexcool® may be more stable and improve water pump life. Evaluations of the two technologies to compare their respective service lives have found them comparable."

"So the bottom line is this, if your car came from the factory with Dexcool®, use Dexcool® for replacement or to top off. If your car came from the factory with standard "green" antifreeze, use that for replacement or to toping off. Case in point, Dexcool® has been known to cause head gasket and water pump failure on some Ford OHC V-8's."

Hope this looooooooong post helps you out on this subject.
Old 12-06-01, 06:42 AM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

What kind of anitfreeze am I supposed to run in an SC300? It has an iron block and aluminum head, right?
Old 12-06-01, 06:47 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by The Ikon
I'll go to a good repair shop for that one! Save yourself a couple $ bucks. While you are at it. Add an air intake w/maf adapter. If not go with a K&N panel filter.

On the radiator make sure they use the PROPER type of "red" fluid.

Also I would change the thermostat and o-ring gasket with a Lexus part... It'll only take 5 minutes to do that... Plus the serpetine v-belt with a Lexus belt only... for a better fit...
I don't see why you guys go with the little silly MAF adapter. I have a K&N cone filter. It's a direct bolt on filter that you tie around the intake tube. The hole between the intake tube and the intake is about 3" vs. whatever tiney hole the MAF adapter is. Also, the K&N cone fiter is 55 bucks.
Old 12-06-01, 06:48 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by methodmf

some say 3k others say 5
Some people do drungs, do it when you see it's dirty.
Old 12-06-01, 07:01 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by methodmf

some say 3k others say 5
Trans. fluid change every 15K in dusty condition. 30K for normal driving. I say you need to change the trans. fluid now. If you can do it yourself, it would cost you must less.
Need to buy Toyota trans. fluid Type T-IV
Why did I say change the fluid yourself? I just change my trans. fluid last month. The fluid was very dirty. The last owner always had the car service by the dealer, and it was backup by the print out (paper work) from the dealer. Guess what, the trans. bolt was stripped. I wonder who did that . I had to order a new bolt for it. Change the fuild again yesterday. The fluid was still dirty (its looks like engine oil) I need to change it more often until the color become red again.
Yes, everytime I change the fluid, the car response a lot better. Therefore, I need to get this fluid clean asap.

Don't know about K & N filter cleaning frequency. Where can I buy the cleaning fluid/solution for this filter?
Old 12-06-01, 07:11 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by VQT

Don't know about K & N filter cleaning frequency. Where can I buy the cleaning fluid/solution for this filter?
You can get it at a local AutoZone location or go to K&N website to locate a local reseller.
Old 12-06-01, 07:16 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by hoops_24
My 92 SC now has 75K on her and I'm wondering what preventative maintenance should be performed??

Is there a 75,000 mile service recommendation? My car is actually starting to run a little sluggish so I am thinking of a major tune-up, radiator flush/fill, spark wire and distributor replace, and air filter change.

Do I need to pay the Lexus premium price for this or should I trust a regular auto service shop with these items?

Your thoughts would be appreciated!
If you want to do it correctly. You need to change engine oil, trans. fluid, radiator fan fluid, radiator antifreeze, thermostat, differential gear oil. Also, spark plugs, wires, caps and rotors. Clean throttle body...

I still haven't figured out how to take the throttle body off yet, so I can clean mine

If you don't know or don't want to do this yourself, find a garage that you trust and let them do the service. The Lexus/Toyota mechanics know their cars. This doen't mean the people outside don't know what they're doing. I seen both sides at work, and its depend on the individual. I seen dealer mechanic work some are good and some are just don't care about other people cars.

I also seen garage mechanic that don't know anything.

Quick Reply: Service Intervals