SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

95-97 SC300 5-Speed Opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-01 | 05:27 PM
Narthex
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

Hello everyone...
I am seriously considering the purchase of a 95-97 SC-300. I really want a manual transmission. A dealer I talked to said that they were problematic and "undesireable". Is this true? It is really tough to find a manual equipped one... anyone in AZ selling? Thanks allot! Have a great day!

-John
98 Camaro, hopefully a SC300
Old 08-13-01 | 06:12 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Cool First of all Welcome to CL...

Now to the ???... The dealer is a LIAR if he said that. What dealer is this... name, salesman who said it? Forward him to this forum and to CL.

I think he was just trying to get you to buy an automatic, because the manuals are hard to find. If you search thru the SC forum the 5spd is very DESIRABLE!!!

Hey, ask him to give you details about the "problems" the 5spd SC3 is having. So we at CL can have a good laugh. I'm SERIOUS... I quess the Supra is having the same "problems"...

I would not do business with them if this is the way they practice business by LYING... This is just my opinion!

Good luck in finding the car you are searching for...

The Ikon
Old 08-13-01 | 07:41 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Arrow Yeah, post the reps name and number

I would LOVE to talk to his boss! What a LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey sales rep, I DARE you to make that comment in writing on this website.
Old 08-14-01 | 08:51 AM
MrWigggles
Rookie

The 5-speed really makes the SC300 a lot of fun.

I makes the car similar in sportiness to the bmw equivalents of today and 95-97 period.

The bmw will have a little better handling especially the M3 but won't have quite as nice of a ride, reliability, or cockpit refinement (i.e. sound deadening).

The 5-speed SC300 seams to be the best blend of luxury and performance that I know of just short of the new BMW 330's or M3's which are of coarse much more expensive.

Good luck finding one. Lexus didn't make many in the '95 to '97 time period.

Also, the SC300 is very upgradeable in the power and handling department. Put a turbo on it and put some 275+ wide tires in the rear (fit easilly) and you are going to have a beast.

A very sophisticated beast.

-Mr. Wigggles
Old 08-14-01 | 01:53 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

My 5-speed is just as reliable. I had to look for a while to find a 5-speed in this car....that's the only reason the dealer told you that. He's looking to make a comission now, and not do any legwork!

Get the 5-speed, you'll be really suprised! It's an awesome car! A lot are sold out of Houston, you can check on eBay.com and you'll find some 5-speeds usually.

And as the Ikon said, the Supra comes with the same tranny.....and it has no problems either!

SR
Old 08-14-01 | 02:53 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Question Ummmmm, Narthex????

I noticed you were on the forum today. We are posting to a thread you started and answering a ??? you asked. We are all was eager to help on this forum and at CL.

You can at least acknowledge our responses to your thread. We are trying to help you. This comment goes to all the "New" members as well as us "Vets"...

If you had tech problems with your computer, or your boss set in your office, your lady was waiting in the skin, etc.. disregard my comment, well sort of.

The Ikon
Old 08-14-01 | 08:37 PM
Narthex
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Thanks all!

Hey Ikon... Thanks for promoting the "discussion" atmosphere, I have spent alot of time on a Camaro board and there wasn't alot of back and forth interaction.

Anyway, I really appreciate all your replies. I have wanted a 5 speed from the beginning, but didn't really know who to listen to. I think message boards are a real asset!

Thanks to CmptuerWiz for suggestions on finding one... I have only found 2 manual equipped sc's in AZ so far. One isn't exactly right and I am waiting on info on the other.

The dealer that told me that the 5spd was undesireable was Bell Lexus... The other valley Lexus dealer didn't even know that they produced manual sc 300s!!!

Hmmm, I am already dreaming about twin-turbos
Old 08-14-01 | 08:48 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Default zoom zoom zoom

wait and you will be rewarded. Though I do not get to drive mine often, only once or twice a week if I'm lucky, everytime I am in the garage I'm reminded of how much I really love this car. Had a 92 SC 400 but my 93 SC 300 is just soooo much more fun fun fun.
Old 08-14-01 | 09:20 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Angry WHAT!!!!! A SC3 more fun than a SC4!?!?

I wish I had a manual some times too in my SC4. I'll just have to settle for my Karmann Ghia with it's 4 spd.

I really try to push interaction on this forum. We are good for replying... well most of us... We will get better!

Narthex.. Bell Lexus in Arizona? Which city is it the city of Prescott in your location space?

I'm SURE you'll be happy with the SC3 with or without turbos.

The Ikon
Old 08-15-01 | 12:18 AM
Narthex
Driver School Candidate

Arrow Dealer...

Bell Lexus is in Phoenix, 602-866-3300. I have talked to a couple dealers, so I cant remember the name of the salesman that told me about the 5 speed. Prescott is too small to have a Lexus dealer.

To change the subject a bit, does anyone know how much a 95 SC300 has in common with the Supra? I have heard bits and pieces on the board...

Thanks!

Old 08-15-01 | 04:34 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Supra NA - SC300

Engine Longblock - head and all internals, block and all internals, timing gears, crank pulley
Clutch, Transmission (as long as it's 5-speed), Flywheel, plugs, plug wires, distributor/cap,water pump, drive belt and timing belt tensioner.

I'm not sure if the alternator and such is the same, it could very well be! Anyone know?

This is all I know of, I believe the intake setup is different on the NA Supra also but not sure, and I know the turbo one uses a totally different head.

This is to the best of my knowledge, if anyone knows otherwise, please tell me!

I've been thinking of getting a new IS300 engine to build up, and then swap into my car in the future... Any thoughts? Same engine...

SR
Old 08-15-01 | 08:23 AM
JKAG
Driver

Default 5 speed

5 speed is great fun

Get a '95 or an early '96 before OBDII if you want power. OBDII makes it harder to get extra power.

Jon Kagan
'96 SC300 5 speed
Greddy exhaust, gforce chip, K&N, cold air box, eibach, tokico, 17"
Old 08-15-01 | 10:38 AM
KCLARK
Driver School Candidate

Please do elaborate on the differences in the years of the SC300 5-speeds (I didn't think there was any at all?) My preference has pretty much has me stuck on the 97 due to it being the last year the 5-speed was made.
Old 08-15-01 | 10:48 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

only thing more fun than a 5spd sc300 is a 6spd sc300..i have had both and can speak from personal experience....werent really any differances with 92-97 sc300 except for the cosmetics and the OBD1 vs OBDII scenerio.....the 92-94 had a smaller tranny tunnel than the 95-97..this only makes it a little more difficult if you decide to goto a 6spd....other than that/....i think thats all?....anyone else?.....its also fun to say you own a manual lexus...no one ever seemd to have known that a lexus came in 5spd before the is300 this month.....i get that all the time......"a stick shift lexus?....didnt know they made that"
Old 08-15-01 | 11:05 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Arrow

Don't forget about the 5spd ES3.... 92-93...

Quick Reply: 95-97 SC300 5-Speed Opinions...