Proud New Owner!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-06, 01:19 PM
b3_hammond
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Proud New Owner!!!!

Hello all,

Just wanted to give everyone an update per my last thread i posted that was entitled "Is this a good deal". It was involving my '95 SC-400 w/ 101k miles on it. I was able to get it for $7600.

I totally love this car. It rides smooth and definitely has some pep and pick up to it!!! I love the coupe feel to it and how it sits low to the road! Totally awesome! I have a couple questions and was hoping you guys could help me out with them.

1) I've heard of the problem with the headlight covers looking kind of "foggy" or whatnot. Is there a fix to this besides getting them replaced? And if not, around how much would that cost? I'm just looking at the headlight covers. (so 2)

2) What could i buy to remove Salt & Brake dust build up on the rims? More so, Salt!? My car was a 1 owner, however, he was located in Massachusetts. The rims aren't totally bad looking but you can tell that it's sat and built up over a period of time. It just has a little "gun-metal" look to it. And i was actually thinking about just replacing the emblems to the "black/gun metal" color that are found on some Lexus's (Premium Ed.) and then it would equal it out. But give me your thoughts....

3) How do i use the PWR injector button? Is it better to use it while being at a stop light then push it; or could i use it while driving down the road and push it? I know either way it won't be too friendly on the gas but it's all good.

4) How is the gas mileage on these cars?

5) The BIG ?.......... Do i have time to wait and get the timing belt replaced or should i go ahead and do it now?

Thanks guys for all your help thus far! You may not realize it or not, but you all have helped tremendously in my decision on going ahead and purchasing this car for a 2ndary vehicle. I've had coupes prior to me getting my 05 TL w/ my last one being the 3.2 CL Type-S. So i feel right at home w/ the SC-400!!!!
Old 01-30-06, 02:11 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me be the first one to welcome you to the club. Congrats on the new to you car. You'll enjoy it the more you drive it.

To answer your questions, let me be the first to say...."USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION". You'll find a multitude of answers.
1. You can use ScratchX to clean up the headlight on the outside...there's tons of info on this.

2. You'll probably end up getting new rims on your car if you hang out on this website long enough. There are great ideas and deals to be had in the "Wheels Classified" section. No one here rolls on stock wheels very long.

3. I always keep the PWR button on. It just keeps the revs up a little long. I actually get better gas mileage too, but your mileage and driving method may vary.

4. Gas mileage on these cars vary also. I get about 18-20MPG mixed driving. When I really get on the throttle, it get as low as 16MPG.

5. If your car hasn't had the timing belt changed yet, you are due for the big service. The sooner you do it, the sooner you can check one thing off your list. Figure between $1K to 1.5K for the major service.

Cheers.
Old 01-30-06, 02:16 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Glad you got it These cars are nothing short of a mechanical miracle and they'll grow on you more every day from the excitement of the first day forward.

While maintenance SHOULD be done on any car, when it comes to the timing belt it is a nice safe haven to know the non interference engine will snap a belt and be back on the road as quick as you can change it with no issues.
Old 01-30-06, 02:41 PM
b3_hammond
Driver School Candidate

Thanks as always for your comments guys. I appreciate it. I think i'll stick with the stock rims. I'm not really the type that goes for the flashy rims, etc... However, i have seen some really cool looking rims on this forum along and it definitely has my interest peaked a bit. But i think i'll keep it stocked.

So with that being said, someone told me about Meguiar's Hot Rims so i think i may give that a shot. And i'll have to try the ScratchX.... i'm not seeing off top of my head how that would work but hey you guys know awhole lot more than i do since i'm just joining a few days ago. So i'll definitely take your word for it!

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again!
Old 01-30-06, 03:15 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Get "Novus" for the headlights and leave that ScratchX crap alone.
Old 01-30-06, 03:30 PM
lexsc492
Pole Position

i just use regular car wax to take off the yellowing from lights...
if there is water inside do a search for condensation headlights and there will be lots of threads showing the "oven trick" and so on.
Old 01-30-06, 05:36 PM
b3_hammond
Driver School Candidate

What is Novus and more importanly where could i get it from?
Old 01-30-06, 07:08 PM
totrider
Lead Lap

welcome to cl. Now the pix please hehe
Old 01-30-06, 08:46 PM
SWSC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Glad you got it These cars are nothing short of a mechanical miracle and they'll grow on you more every day from the excitement of the first day forward.

While maintenance SHOULD be done on any car, when it comes to the timing belt it is a nice safe haven to know the non interference engine will snap a belt and be back on the road as quick as you can change it with no issues.
Welcome to the Club You'll love your SC
O.L.T., so if the timing belt snaps, there won't be any risk of damage? Also, is this a possible DIY job? Thanks!