SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Wet sanded + buffed my headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-06, 06:51 PM
exarus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awsome! One of my headlights needs that done too. How did you go about cleaning them?
Old 02-02-06, 09:59 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just bought 3M plastic polish and went to town with my porter cable with a yellow cutting pad and did it like 3 or 4 times and it got rid of the yellowness almost instantly and the little cracks. Then I applied autoshield headlight protectors that I had to have custom cut. Instaling the autoshield took some patience and a heat gun to avoid the the annoying little ripples and bubbles.

Looks good though.
Old 02-03-06, 02:10 AM
Psionic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Camshaft
What about starting at 400, then going higher and then finishing up with some Novus plastic windshield polish?
Wow! 400 seems like way too much. I used 2000 on mine and it seemed a little overboard. I had to wax them like 15 times just to get the haze off. (Porter Cable is on my list )
Old 02-03-06, 10:51 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job man, thanks for an idea
Old 02-03-06, 11:33 PM
aznturtle
Driver School Candidate

great job...looks like i have a project for the weekend
Old 02-04-06, 11:42 AM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

yep looks clean and clear and under control
Old 02-05-06, 08:08 AM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

I did the drivers light the next day. Im pretty sure you can get away with a cheap walmart special buffer and some plastic cleaner to get the "cloudy" look out from the wet sanding. Ive never had moisture in mine, so thats not a problem for me. Ive pulled apart alot of headlights/taillights in the past and generally it is a pretty difficult task, although the lexus taillights seemed to be somewhat easier then my honda/acura ones.
Old 02-05-06, 08:18 AM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Sorry, I didnt do this as a "how-to" because I thought it had been previously covered and just wanted to show my results and apparently several people have now wet sanded their headlights expecting crystal clear results which is not what you get from wet sanding. Thus, I added a big warning and I do stress that you should not wet sand your lights unless you know what you're doing (I previously practiced/screwed up a set of trashed civic headlights to get my technic down). Please do not try this if you are unsure about it.
Old 02-05-06, 10:52 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still say just buy new headlights. The polish jobs looks okay for a while but will turn yellow again soon. It will take years for my new ones to turn.
Old 02-05-06, 12:35 PM
Jimbo2828
Pole Position

i jus got my car back from the body show after an accident. they helped me polished my headlights and al my friends thought i had new lights. i think they used a heavy duty rubbing compund to clean it and some 3M polish to finish it off
Old 02-05-06, 03:17 PM
sc430uk
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wont you damge the headlight?
Old 02-06-06, 04:53 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibacksucka
I'm just going to buy a new drivers side HL . I followed all the steps minus the electric buffer and even if I do buy an electric buffer and clear the lens it will probaly still gather moisture. I bought my other Drivers side HL off Ebay for $100 and when i got it man it looked new and I installed it and wallah it rained and now has moisture!!--I bet one of you CL members pulled an "oven trick" on me and took me for a c-note So I decided to take my extra light and try this "oven trick" myself to no avail (probaly b/c no buffer) Does anyone know where to get the best deal on a brand new light besides the local dealer for $350 large? I wish someone could answer why these lights sometime collect moisture?? The seal was tight and there were no crack in the housing
Mine were $250 each. If you can't get that price from your dealer, call Carson Toyota and tell them you're a CLK member.
Old 02-06-06, 09:12 AM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ibacksucka
I'm just going to buy a new drivers side HL . I followed all the steps minus the electric buffer and even if I do buy an electric buffer and clear the lens it will probaly still gather moisture. I bought my other Drivers side HL off Ebay for $100 and when i got it man it looked new and I installed it and wallah it rained and now has moisture!!--I bet one of you CL members pulled an "oven trick" on me and took me for a c-note So I decided to take my extra light and try this "oven trick" myself to no avail (probaly b/c no buffer) Does anyone know where to get the best deal on a brand new light besides the local dealer for $350 large? I wish someone could answer why these lights sometime collect moisture?? The seal was tight and there were no crack in the housing

You have moisture probably due to a temperature change. At one point I "baked" my taillights and they had moisture in them because I was overly eager to go drop them in the car (all sealed up, still rather warm). Thus warm headlight/tail + cold air = moisture. Thus, take a hair dryer to your headlight with both headlights out, get all the moisture out (heat from the hair dryer will make it evaporate), then let them sit outside for 12+ hours (making sure to leave the actual lights out of it). That should fix the moisture problem.
Old 02-06-06, 03:08 PM
STRONG SC
Lead Lap

Great job, I did the same to mines. I thought mines wasn't that bad but after seeing all the crude that was sanded off, I'm glad I did it!
Old 02-06-06, 08:56 PM
SWSC400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95 Integra
You have moisture probably due to a temperature change. At one point I "baked" my taillights and they had moisture in them because I was overly eager to go drop them in the car (all sealed up, still rather warm). Thus warm headlight/tail + cold air = moisture. Thus, take a hair dryer to your headlight with both headlights out, get all the moisture out (heat from the hair dryer will make it evaporate), then let them sit outside for 12+ hours (making sure to leave the actual lights out of it). That should fix the moisture problem.
Drill vent holes in them, that's all I did, haven't had a bit of moisture since

Quick Reply: Wet sanded + buffed my headlights