SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

front licence plate bracket

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-01, 07:16 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all, I looked though search engine but didn't get any result...so I came back here
here is my question. My front bumper doesn't have licence plate bracket or whatever call or any holes.
so I cant install licence plate. Can you explain how it works? I think I need to get Bracket from auto shop.
and I need to make hole right? that's it? or I dont have to make hole at all...
I dont wanna damage my bumper, if I dont have to..
If you have done something like this, can you tell me.
thanks
Old 08-14-01, 07:32 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Arrow hate states with front plates....

There should be two 'dimples' in the front bumper near the middle. This is where the bracket will screw into. See your dealer, he can hook it up.
Old 08-14-01, 10:02 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

yea that's what I thought, but no. nothing on the bumper.
i think previous owner had accident or something and replaced the original bumper...which is not good.

I'll ask the dealer about this, thanks.
Old 08-14-01, 10:51 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Why do you want to install a license plate up front? The car looks much cleaner without.

I'm in Colorado where it's the law to have a license plate displayed up front. I've had my SC for 26 months and no cop has pulled me over for it. If you do get in trouble for it, the worst they can do is give you a fix-it ticket. Be sure to keep your extra license plate so that when you park at pay meters you can put it up front.

A fix-it ticket or 26 months of clean, unbroken lines? I'll take the latter, thank you very much

Look at your front bumper under some lights and see if there are any sandpaper scrubbings under the paint. This is how I found out that my car was in a car accident (wasn't reported, thus it wasn't on carfax). Also, if you have a black car, you shouldn't have any clear coat on your car, if you do, it's been repainted.
Old 08-15-01, 09:09 AM
joegolf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Hellasboy is correct, for now. In California I just heard that a bill was passed to change the fix-it-ticket to a $160 fine. I'm not sure if it would be a moving violation that would go on your record for insurance purposes. The reasoning is so authorities can get more money from the red light photo violations.

I just removed my front plate and bought a beautiful chrome mini-plate that has "LEXUS" on it. Got this off Ebay and the person will sell for $45 which is about half of what dealers sell. Nice looking plate. Of course the reason I bought it..... to avoid the red light photos, lol.

buddies of mine have had there front plates off for the past twenty years and told me they have never been cited, including when they got fix-it-tickets and speeding tickets. So, up to now, cops have ignored the violation for the most part.

Interestingly, here in Sacramento, it was pretty much proven that the authorities had shortened the yellow light so more violators could be cited. Local news did an interesting story, with times and all of the lights. These photo taking devices are real money makers. It costs the city or county about $120K to install and they make about $400 to 1M per year. Funny, they want us not to run the lights, but what reaction would they have if everyone quit running the lights at these intersections? The issue is really money, not safety. I haven't had a ticket in twenty years and don't run red lights except when it is unavoidable due to traffic patterns, but I changed the plate knowing they have tricked up the devices. The fine is $270 for running a light, plus you could probably figure another five or six hundred in insurance over a two or three year period. So, $700 versus a violation for no front plate, I'll take my chances with no front plate.

Joe
Old 12-19-01, 05:01 PM
cupete
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Jan, this year, I was pulled over on the freeway for speeding. When I got pulled over, the CHP officer noticed that I didn't have a front license.

I got a ticket for speeding and another ticket for not having a front license. I looked everywhere, except a lexus dealer, for the front license bracket, but I couldn't find one so I just went to a local shop and got me a plastic bracket. I secure the bracket to the front bumper grille with those plastic tie things.

I went back to the CHP station and got the fix-a-ticket taken care of.

Peter~
Old 12-19-01, 06:45 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Taka,

Check out www.car-part.com and get a used one from a junk SC.

Both of my SC400 don't have the two 'dimples' and I don't think that both of my car had the front bunper repaint. The license plate must be attacth in some way. Did you check the manual yet? I think the manual does show how to attach the plate.

Right now I live in Pennsylvania. No front plate needed. I am planning to move back to Ca soon. I'll have to put the plate in front. I am asian and I don't want to have anything reason for the cop to stop me

Originally posted by Taka
Hi all, I looked though search engine but didn't get any result...so I came back here
here is my question. My front bumper doesn't have licence plate bracket or whatever call or any holes.
so I cant install licence plate. Can you explain how it works? I think I need to get Bracket from auto shop.
and I need to make hole right? that's it? or I dont have to make hole at all...
I dont wanna damage my bumper, if I dont have to..
If you have done something like this, can you tell me.
thanks
Old 12-20-01, 12:38 AM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a brand new front license plate mount bracket if anyone wants to buy it. It's still wrapped in the plastic it came in. The first owner never put it on the car and I don't intend to put it on either.
Old 12-20-01, 07:09 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

VQT, I already got bracket from dealer in Sep :P
thanks
Old 12-20-01, 07:59 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

When I did the 2K update, I noticed that there were two little gold-coloured metal brackets for the tag screws to thread into on the backside of the bumper, but no dimples. My bodyman made two small marks on the front side that aligned with the brackets behind, in the event that I wanted to affix the tag, but I left it off, wanted cleaner lines like Hellas said. I'm in NY, and I have been nailed a couple of times for no front tag, but that's over a period of about ten years, well worth it IMO. For me, the concern is not the $15 ticket, it's getting pulled over for the missing tag when you have things stowed in the car that you don't want Jake searching for, when a cop would not have noticed you if you had the plate on.