SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Info on purchasing a 92 SC400...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-01 | 06:01 AM
turbonod

Hey all, I am hopefully going to be a new Lexus owner soon but I have a couple of questions. I am looking at a beatiful black 92 SC400 with about 70k on it. I was wondering If there is any common problems to look out for. I hear there is problems with the transmissions with that year, is this true? anyway to get it checked out? should I avoid the first year production model? Is anything at all I should look for, Please dont hesitate for something little, any help is appreciated. I seem a little paranoid because I ended up spending a lot of money into my last two cars. Thanks for your help in advance

BTW: The passenger light is fogged up... problem???

Thanks again,
Nate
Old 08-15-01 | 07:29 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Welcome!

I understand that the servo pump is a potential weak spot. Has the tendency to leak on to the alternator.

Regarding the fogged up light, if you're talkling about water in one of the headlights, there's a thread about that in this forum.

Hope this helps
Old 08-15-01 | 08:07 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

turbo, Ur best bet would be to take it to a reputable Lexus mechanic and have them look it over. The only trouble i have heard about the SC is that the power steering pump leakes and if it isn't caught fairly early, it will ruin the alternator too. I bought a 92 SC3 w/ about 76000 miles on it from the Lexus dealership (not certified though) and i have had 1 problem w/ it. After a few weeks, it seemed like whenever my parents tried to start it, it wouldn't start for them but it would start for us. We took it to the dealership and they replaced the whole electrical system for free but it still didn't help. A lil while ago i got them to replace the fuel pump ECU, and it has worked beautifully since. I dont want to scare u. The SC is a one of a kind car that has a great reputation. Just get a mechanic to look it over (water damage,etc.) and if nothing is wrong, BUY IT. Please dont let my story scare u. It was very infrequent and not a big deal. As for the headlight, if it has condensation in it, there r some older posts that deal w/ this. If it is just yellow, foggy, dirty,etc. on the outside, just find some plastic cleaner at ur local auto parts store and it will make the headlights look brand new. Good luck on ur purchase and have fun in ur SC4.
Old 08-15-01 | 09:57 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Great decision! No such problems with the transmission at all or the engine for that matter...

*The only problem spot is the power steering pump potential to leak onto the alternator to case premature alt. life.

*The instrument cluster may have a few bulbs **** you off.{we have a thread in the "maintenance section" to fix that problem also here on this forum.} Very easy fix... Go to the maintenance section scroll back maybe to the beginning and find the "instrument cluster bulbs" thread is you can not find what you need...find my name on the forum ...go to profile of "The Ikon" select thread posted by user [in the top right of screen...select it] search for the topic of choice...

*look on this page for "water condensation in head lights" and all the facts you need are there about the condensation problem in the light...

Just get the car inspected by a competent mechanic... I suggest going by Lexus and get an "used vehicle" inspection for the cost one hour labor cost. They will test drive, check under the car on a lift and inspect all major components...also fit and finish... Then give you their recommendation about the car.

*want mods... go to the sections up top... also check with other guys on the forum... plus companies are slowly making products for the V8 Lexus...

These are GREAT Beautiful autos that are engineered to last for years of trouble free motoring... from the first day... We are not the other company needing a year or two to get the bugs out.. The Lexus does it right the first time around... Check the JD Powers reports for #1 in customer satisfaction for the past 10 or 11 years... That says it ALL...

Good Luck and Welcome to club Lexus.
Old 08-15-01 | 06:09 PM
turbonod

Default IKON...

Thanks for the info. If I do decide to get this car It will be a good hour away from my house. I looked around and found out that there is no Lexus dealer around there but there is a Toyota dealer across the street. Would it be ok for them to look at the car also could they know if the 60k tune up was done???

I currently own a 300ZX TT and want to get rid of it due to goin to college dont wanna deal with all the maintanance that goes with a high end sports car. This is why im so nervous with goin with an automatic 8cyl, so if you could please get back to me. Thanks for your help.

Nate
Old 08-15-01 | 07:12 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up 300 ZX are nice we owned a TT and a 2+2...

If it is a knowledgeable service dept. it'll be fine. Some Toyota dealers service Lexus all the time. The way to find out is to call up and ask them if can they do the 60,000 miles service and how much? Plus you can call the nearest Lexus dealer and give them the vin. and ask what services have been done?

When I purchased my car I had it tested at the Toyota dealer in Tupelo, MS. The service manager(also an ES3 owner) was the one who inspected it for me. He was a very cool guy that loved Lexus autos. He went over the car tooth and nail for me. At the time it only had about 50,000 miles and still in warranty. I bought the car from the Mayor Jerry Latch of Corinth, MS.

Just give them a chance and find out if they are competent. Ask the right questions....

I love the Z-Cars(what yr. is yours?), I wish I had not wrecked mine. To be honest if your Z is in top condition... I'll keep it if it's paid for and or very little is owed on it..... But if you must... the SC is the way to go!!!

The Ikon
Old 08-15-01 | 09:07 PM
turbonod

Default Cool

You got some good ideas in your head. Thanks again. Sucks about your Z man, I love em too.

About My Z, its a 90 5spd with 68k original miles, Dont get me wrong I love the car and am very VERY sad to see it go but its definatly a must. I cant stand repairing it, such BS. All my thoughts changed as of now, I just got home form my friends house that just bought a 2000 T/A 6spd. I REALLY dont think i can go to an auto. But for the money it may be the best car i can get.

Well Ill let you know what happens.

Nate
Old 08-15-01 | 10:37 PM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Don't really like auto's either. That's why I seriously considered the 300 when I was on the market for an SC. As I couldn't find one here in Europe I finally went for the 400, and I don't regret it.
To some degree, the SC4 lets you control the shifting. Normal / power shifting mode, OD on / off, or you can 'manually shift' the auto. Good enough for me in a daily driver. Imo, the SC4 isn't a 'race car' anyway, but it's a fairly fast cruiser.
Maybe you should also look at the SC, GS and / or IS300 if you like the styling. As far as I know, you can get all of them with a manual transmission (correct me if I'm wrong please) and they can be modded to make them pretty quick.

Btw, Ikon: I was wondering for some time now what that '65 VW custom Karmann Ghia is in your signature. Just out of curiosity, do you have any pics?
Old 08-15-01 | 11:30 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

I need to get another digital camera to post pics, but this is a descprition of my VW.

*Custom 1965' VW Karmann Ghia. Mods include ***top chopped 5 1/2", front and rear fender customed flares, frenched license plate, tear drop antenae, whale tail rear spoiler 911, shaved front signal lights, 87' 300 ZX door handles, 92' Prelude si front seats, shaved dash, Custom wheels, Porsche steering wheel, etc.. It's very beautiful IMO... Hell it has won 13 car shows over the years!!! In the custom Karmann Ghia area and 3 best of shows!!! It has not been in any in the past 3 years, but I may make it to the big Nopi car show in Atlanta, GA if I can get the paint tight... it truly needs to get the paint done...

Here's the little heart of my Ghia ***1776cc engine with 40mm Kadron carbs, 90mm piston, 110 engle cams, oil sump, larger cooling fan, .009 dist w electronic compu fire ignition and blue coil, w/freeway flyer transmission...

Any one here have a VW? or antique...

Old 08-15-01 | 11:41 PM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Still no idea what this would look like . But the description sure sounds wild :eek:
Old 08-16-01 | 12:23 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Arrow

Mine looks very similar to this one, but is not a convertible nor do I have the bumpers like that..... Plus it is the Radiance company wine berry candy paint... in need of a paint job for Nopi!!! I must have it...

http://www.ghiaspecialties.com/

This is a stock Karmann Ghia

http://www.serve.com/bacani/images/rskg1.gif

I'm sure they are in your country.....

Last edited by The Ikon; 08-16-01 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-16-01 | 12:31 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Wow ... beautiful! Don't think I've ever seen one before. I guess this one turns heads more than your Lex
Old 08-16-01 | 12:38 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Talking Thanks

It turns heads more than any car I ever owned. This is a true one of a kind!!! No matter what I'm parked beside it will steal the show... Porshe, Vette, Jag, etc. what ever it is a neat car...

I'm proud of it... I just need to get it repainted before the Nopi car show in the US.. It's the largest here...
Old 08-16-01 | 01:33 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Question

Any one here going to the Nopi Nationals?
Old 08-16-01 | 04:51 PM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Don't forget to run the VIN number through carfax.com to make sure the title checks out ok. Carfax will also allow you to see how many times the vehicle has changed owners which is usually a pretty good indication of a problem vehicle or not.

Lots of luck!

Quick Reply: Info on purchasing a 92 SC400...