SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Newbie with questions about 400 SC

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-06, 10:25 PM
400cpe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with questions about 400 SC

Hi everyone,I'm not too sure about the proper protocol regarding introductions since this is my first time at this site. I'm going to have my newly acquired 400 SC gone over by a couple of local shops to see what I might need to pay attention to now. I'm sure you all have done the same thing if you bought your car used as I have. I have good history on the car but nothing about the transmission or the rest of the drive train. Engine service is right on. This car is the cleanest I have been able to find. Unmodified except for wheels and tires.

My question is,what should I address on the car. It's a '93 with 144K miles. I don't plan to modify it much. I like the car as it is but I want to be able to depend on it. I would appreciate any and all of your comments,and I would like to say that this is a great site. I feel very priveleged to participate in your foruum.

Thanks for your patience. If I have jumped protocol I am sure you will let me know.
Old 02-06-06, 10:29 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Welcome to ClubLexus!

One of our members has put together an outstanding FAQ you should start with

http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html
Old 02-06-06, 10:32 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Hi Newbie!

Click that search button up there and find the other 400 introduction threads with the same questions and you shall find a vast amount of knowledge

Since searches time out, I cannot link you, however I can give you key words to help.

Maintenance
common problems
common failures

etc....... you get the idea. Dave has given you the rest in that link. Welcome and enjoy
Old 02-07-06, 04:59 AM
SWSC400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the Club
Old 02-07-06, 06:23 AM
cip
Pole Position

Welcome!!

You say you'll have your car gone over by a couple shops. I would encourage you to have an inspection done by Lexus if you can. Yes it will cost more initially, but I can tell you that especially on the older Lexus cars (yours is 13 years old) you'll want a good Lexus tech to tell you what's wrong.

As an example I asked my local guys (very knowledgeable in general, but not Lexus or import specific) to look over my car ('96 SC400) and even asked them to look specifically @ my transmission mount. Well they said it was fine, but when searching around here I found that just b/c the mount isn't broken per se, it doesn't mean it should not be replaced. This is due to the fact I want my car running in top condition and that usually means being pro-active to problems not reactive.

Anyway, like they said, use search, there's a ton of info out here & the members have a passion for their cars approaching Lexus' own passionate pursuit!!!

-Cip
Old 02-07-06, 09:27 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My question is,what should I address on the car. It's a '93 with 144K miles. I don't plan to modify it much. I like the car as it is but I want to be able to depend on it. I would appreciate any and all of your comments,and I would like to say that this is a great site. I feel very priveleged to participate in your foruum.
Hi and welcome...Off the top of my head right now, I can think of several moderate problems with these cars that you might want to address.

Suspension: Older SC's tend to have broken, worn or torn bushings..You might want to address that issue with your mechanic and check to see if any of the bushings or suspension parts that needs to be replaced. Aftermarket bushings, as well as, OEM bushings are available from our CL vendors...as others have mentioned, this issue has been addressed multiple times here on the forums..Try doing a search...

Stereo: If your car has a Nakamichi Radio, the amp is prone to breaking from excessive water exposure located in the inner rear quarter panel of the trunk...Seal the amp from excess water and you'll be fine...

CD changers are regulary prone to "skipping" ...I would recommend you try to "fix" it by cleaning the cd lens on a reglious basis...You'll see a improvement in CD playing quality instanteously...

Interior: Many interior items do wear and tear pretty easily in our cars..Especially items like driver's side leather seat, cracking vents, worn/ripped door panels, saggy nets on back of seats...etc etc....Many of these items can be replaced by ordering new parts or by checking with our vendors...(Carson Toyota, Leatherseats.com, Luxurymods.com)....Again, these issues are discussed to death here on our forums...

Engine: the 1UZFE from the factory, comes with a moderately restrictive intake and exhaust...To make more inexpensive power I would suggest the "BFI" intake and a unrestrictive exhaust...Three cats and two resonators just gives your car constipation

Don't forget that regular maintenance on these engines do give the "ol' punch and kick" back into those old legs...So scheduled tune ups should definitely be on top of your list...Some enthusiasts worry too much about huge HP numbers without thinking about the maintenance..

A well tuned engine is a winning one...

Exterior: Although, many believe that the SC is limited to certain comestic capabilities..I do believe that this car has a world of potential..This potential lies directly on the distinct lines of this car...Many bodykits, OEM upgrades are available for the desired tastes...The equation for making the SC into a true beauty lies in the word KISS..Keeping It Simple Stupid! A quality subtle modification such as 97+ tail-lights gives the car a relatively "new" refreshed look...

Anyways, I think I covered the basic summary of what this car is about...ENJOY YOUR NEW RIDE!

Last edited by One HoT; 02-07-06 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-08-06, 01:00 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome and congrads on the car. I think everything has already been covered.

By the way, The 'SC' comes before the '400'. SC400.
Old 02-08-06, 01:39 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reliable? Hey, its a Lexus, it doesnt get any more reliable.
Make sure you do your timing belt and water pump if it hasnt been done already.
Trans flush is a good idea too.
Cap and Rotor if not done already.
Set of wires (get the ones from lexus, not aftermarket junk)
Spark plugs.
Regular fluid changes.

If you do these simple things, your car will run for a very long time.
Old 02-12-06, 01:23 AM
400cpe
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Thank you all for your input. I found the Intellexual info fascinating,what agreat job of compiling a ton of useful info for all of us to utilize. I'm a bit overwhelmed with the info available to me at this site. It's great!!

Each one of you pointed out specific things to cover with my various shops that I deal with. I have several different kinds of cars so I have devloped this network of people who all have their unique capabilities and I rely on them all the time for one thing or another,depending on the car I'm focusing on.

One of the cars I drive is a 911SC,that is the reason for the "400SC" blunder,thanks for pointing it out ,I probably wouldn't have changed.

One thing I notice is the restriction that you mentioned . The car will get it on,but you have this feeling that there is just a whole lot more untapped . I will be changing the intake and exhaust on the car for sure. For now I am going to get a lot of regular maintenance done,and have the items you mentioned as being areas to take some pro active maesures on.

The SC400 is,as so many of you have said,a car with tremendous potential. I can see that,and any mods I make will be simple. I do want to give it some girth with some wider rims,soon.

Thanks for all of your input. I appreciate it very much.
Old 02-12-06, 03:03 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Welcome to Club Lexus, the best automotive community on the web!

Good luck with the new car.