SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

$5,000.00 bonus!!! What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-06, 11:40 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tein SS Coilovers, auto TT diff, Sparco Milanos, Rear Seat Delete, whatever's left goes to my pocket
Old 02-14-06, 02:03 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
What would I do? I sure as hell wouldn't sink it into a 93 SC........

(2k is my limit)
That's called "maturity" and "priorities" B. And I agree 100%.

Originally Posted by Jimbo2828
if i had another 5,000 i'll sell my car and with 5,000 grand and the money from the car put a down payment for a new GS
Smart man

Originally Posted by Soarer_25GTT
Is this in regards to my post?
Seems it's in regard to the post he quoted dontcha think?

Originally Posted by LexAnt
if i had that cash, i'd either spend it on:

1. sound system
You lost me right there dude. First thing you'd do is spend the money on a sound system?? Maybe I just value money a little more than others. Perhaps when I was 17-19 I'd do something silly like that, but no way in hell would I throw away that type of money on a "sound system" now (something that would attract all the wrong kind of attention and has a great possibility of being stolen) I'm not jumping on you Ant, to each his own...but IMO that would be an extreme waste of capital to dump it into a sound system, on any car...not to mention one that's over 10 years old.
Old 02-14-06, 02:26 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

I'd put $1500 towards some good looking low cost 18" staggered rims and tires.

I'd put $750 towards Springs and Shocks installed

I'd put $1000 towards new paint (if needed)

I'd put $500 towards repairs or service

I'd put the remainder in Savings....
Old 02-14-06, 02:43 PM
indo79
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All priorities and your happiness man. It's your dough, do whatever you want with it.

I just bought a1993 SC300, after a 4 year hiatus without a car. I could have afforded a brand new IS350 with a 33% downpayment but I did not want to deal with car payments, so I went a different route and paid cash for my car.

In 2 months, I already blew $2750 in mods and $550 in new tires and it got me nowhere near 550hp

It's your car, it's your money, do what you want it to become, absorb all the advice from friends/forum members and filter out the ones you do not want to hear. After all, we all already know inside what we want to do with the car.

And to one poster, no offence but I doubt this is a matter of maturity. Life is short, do what you want to do

Last edited by indo79; 02-14-06 at 02:45 PM. Reason: more content
Old 02-14-06, 03:21 PM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Vegas trip: strippers and gambling.
Old 02-15-06, 05:00 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

If your in the accumulation stage of life.... I would put a set of shocks springs $500 and some rims/tires $1500 and call it a day....

INVEST your $3K balance and you will be on the right path
Old 02-15-06, 05:32 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by indo79
All priorities and your happiness man. It's your dough, do whatever you want with it.

I just bought a1993 SC300, after a 4 year hiatus without a car. I could have afforded a brand new IS350 with a 33% downpayment but I did not want to deal with car payments, so I went a different route and paid cash for my car.

In 2 months, I already blew $2750 in mods and $550 in new tires and it got me nowhere near 550hp

It's your car, it's your money, do what you want it to become, absorb all the advice from friends/forum members and filter out the ones you do not want to hear. After all, we all already know inside what we want to do with the car.

And to one poster, no offence but I doubt this is a matter of maturity. Life is short, do what you want to do
Actually this has a lot to do with maturity. The "life is short" excuse is an old one which cripples many people into financial ruin. Most people that hold this opinion of life are either very wealthy or trying to rationalize why they are dead broke.

It's commendable if he listens to the people who tell him to save it. Coming into money and NOT splurging is a valued and rare trait to possess.

It's your dough, do whatever you want with it.
He created this thread to get other members opinions, so apparently he doesn't know what he wants to do with it.
Old 02-15-06, 05:53 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Buy another SC?
Old 02-15-06, 05:54 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Buy another SC?

Actually, if I got $5K now then I'd dump it into my SEP for a tax deduction since we can use all we can get with our tax bill currently at $10K
Old 02-15-06, 06:16 AM
grimskunk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IronCobra
Actually this has a lot to do with maturity.
Not true at all.. maturity has to do with a type of process, not a type of conclusion. Mature = a careful consideration. In this case, being mature = carefully considering what he should do with his money. That doesn't mean save and invest it.

It's commendable if he listens to the people who tell him to save it. Coming into money and NOT splurging is a valued and rare trait to possess.
True, it can be a commendable trait.. but that doesn't make it a mature decision. For example, if I were dying (1 year to live!) and had no dependents, my mature decision would definately be to spend it all. (Although, I wouldn't spend it on my car that's for sure...)

--------
Anyway, after all that, if it were mine...I'd save it all until I knew what I REALLY wanted. If I decided to spend any of it on my car, I'd limit myself to one nice mod in the $2k range.. like, new paint, or .. suspension mods, or new wheels/tires.. and then keep $1500 for emergency money and the other $1500 for investment purposes.

I'd make this decision with little maturity -- ie., I'd do this without having to think about it at all.
Old 02-15-06, 07:17 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Default Lol

I always love these threads. It is neat to see what we all come up with.

Hey, help the economy out and spend it all. Or, help the economy out and invest it in a good company.

Or help me out with my tax bill. Dang 1099's......
Old 02-15-06, 07:36 AM
indo79
Rookie

Talking

Originally Posted by IronCobra
Actually this has a lot to do with maturity. The "life is short" excuse is an old one which cripples many people into financial ruin. Most people that hold this opinion of life are either very wealthy or trying to rationalize why they are dead broke.

He created this thread to get other members opinions, so apparently he doesn't know what he wants to do with it.
Thanks for your comments. I see your point and I completely agree. I am definitely not for going all out and racking up a $10k cc debt just because you want to modify the car or "life is short". I am just offering my opinion and others are more than welcome to chime in. It's discussions like this that make a forum...a forum

Thanks again

p.s I am certainly not getting MYSELF in debt or taking a HELOC/2nd mortgage on my condo to modify my car. If I ain't got the money or it's reducing my savings, screw the mods
Old 02-15-06, 07:59 AM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

Um. 500-550rwhp is attainable in a SC400 with 5000. But you have to jnow how to do things yourself. And you have to learn to search. Nothing against CL but every member here always discourages every SC400 owner against going FI and that they are "stuck" with stock output unless they sell the barn. Anyway thats just an opinion do with your dough as you will. But HP is a disease and it wont stop with 5000 dollars so you need to know that.

P.S. flame suit on
Old 02-15-06, 09:25 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Philly#1 Lex
Um. 500-550rwhp is attainable in a SC400 with 5000. But you have to jnow how to do things yourself. And you have to learn to search. Nothing against CL but every member here always discourages every SC400 owner against going FI and that they are "stuck" with stock output unless they sell the barn. Anyway thats just an opinion do with your dough as you will. But HP is a disease and it wont stop with 5000 dollars so you need to know that.

P.S. flame suit on
Nah, I wont flame. I just don't see how FI can be done for $5000. Supercharger units run roughly that in parts alone. After install, tuning, etc..... passing 5k mark. Turbos need to be custom. Well above 5 g's.

Enlighten me if you know of more cost effective routes.

Last edited by mkorsu; 02-15-06 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-15-06, 09:56 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu

Enlighten me if you know of more cost effective routes.
Nitrous oxide.

Quick Reply: $5,000.00 bonus!!! What would you do?