SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Digital Cluster sc400

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-06, 09:18 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by drnkcarlos
please for the love of GOD.... no rear windshield wipers... don't do it!!!! I just want a back window with no wiper!!!!

I wonder if the canadian analog dash cluster (they are in Kph and mph right?) would work in a JDM harness or would that be the same issue needing a US harness etc?
They are in KPH, but plug directly into the USDM harness, so no JDM plug in 4 u

I've done a few of them.

Old 02-26-06, 09:33 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

By the way you should have seen the look on my face when I was about to plug a Canadian KPH speedo in for the first time to test it. My azz was about ---||--- that tight waiting for smoke and flames

I felt I was taking one for the team incase the question ever came up (and.... here it did)
Old 02-28-06, 01:59 AM
Chawk60
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to jump on the bandwagon, but having owned both a Soarer and SC for about the same period of time as daily drivers (about 1.5yrs each), it seems to me like the digital isn't as interesting to look at on a regular basis. The only cool thing about it is watching the kph roll up from a dead start...which it does very quickly. Unfortunately, then you have to take your eyes off that and look for speed cameras---> ***POOF*** "read: you just got a ticket Japanese style and that's on main roads, not even the highway...

Anway the cluster on the SC is one of the things that made me fall in love with it back when these cars were new. No one else really had something like that then. If you want different, send it to OLT and get a new lighting scheme...THAT will put a smile on your face everytime you drive! (shameless plug for another CL guy...OLT you can thank me later! )

BTW: How is your Katakana? If you can't read it, you won't know what engine problem is going on....

Not to be a thread hijacker, but what's wrong with a rear wiper? I found it quite functional and have gnashed my teeth since then when I don't get my rainex on (before it rains)...

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 02-28-06, 06:45 PM
lawrenceO
Driver

oh the joys of the digital gauge cluster... just make sure when you get it working to always make sure you have a somewhat full tank of gas... sucks when the display starts blinking and ...poof no more gas gauge or temp gauge or speedo or tach.... its not permanent only temporary as it may starft working again soon or maybe in a few hours or days... ahh the joys of the digital gauge cluster... what I'd do for an "always" working analog gauge cluster... then when the lower display is working it will tell you your out of fuel since the big display stopped displaying... but thats only when that bottom display is working and not blinking or dead... fun fun fun

also make sure you get a seperate tachometer so you can at least have an idea how fast your going when it goes out...
least now I can drive the car and know about how fast I'm going (3rd gear 1800rpm is about 40kph...)
Of the two, I'd much prefer an analog cluster. Having said that, the problems you describe for the digital speedo are VERY common, and easily fixed. As far as 'retro' is concerned, the latest Honda Civic's here in Aus have a digital speedometer, as do many Toyota's, so it looks like digital is back 'in'!
Old 02-28-06, 06:49 PM
lawrenceO
Driver

'BTW: How is your Katakana? If you can't read it, you won't know what engine problem is going on....' - hopefully engine problems are not a regular occurence?

FYI, Katakana (or Klingon as we prefer call it) to English translation charts are readily available - I have a copy pasted into the back of my (English language) Soarer handbook - let me know if you'd like a copy!
Old 08-14-08, 01:24 AM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

please for the love of GOD.... no rear windshield wipers... don't do it!!!! I just want a back window with no wiper!!!!

I wonder if the canadian analog dash cluster (they are in Kph and mph right?) would work in a JDM harness or would that be the same issue needing a US harness etc?
Nobody wants what they have...kinda funny...I've dreamed of having a rear wiper . I guess we should all just be happy with what we have. Sure I'd like the digital but guess I'll just have to stick with the analog unless some start popping up on eBay for USDM digital cluster conversion for the SC3/4. haha, that'd be nice, I'd be the first one to buy.
Old 08-14-08, 11:18 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

If you bump a topic from 2006, make the reply relevant to the thread. Don't bump something 2 yrs old with idle chit chat.