SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Prices on Apexi S-AFC??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-01, 10:39 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, everyone is clueless about tuning this thing. Even Muhammed at SRT hasn't done one. I'm going to call a dyno shop tomorrow and see if I can get a few runs in to tune it on Saturday.
What I do know:
The older SC's use Karmann type air sensors. The hardest part about installing it is finding the right wires in the maze of wires on the car. The instructions are in poor english and are unclear. The most performance minded guy at the dealer said that it's unlikely that the car will be damaged (this is warned about over and over in the manual, I think they want you to have "professionals" install it). Unfortunately the A'pexi certified dealer I got mine from knows less about my car than I do, saying they needed a shop manual provided for them to install it.

feh. I'll deal with it on Saturday.
Old 08-24-01, 06:41 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On APEXi's site you can get the updated install manual, and it shows exactly where to get the wires at on the SC300/400.....

SR
Old 08-24-01, 08:40 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Default really easy

dont fear the S-AFC, it is really simple to install. I used the Wiz's settings (minus 1% for added safety blanket until tuned) for high throttle on mine, took her for a spin and WOW!! The missing energy from 2000 - 3500 is there now! Made a big difference. I monitered the A/F and it is still ok.

On the US diagram, it does not show the blue wire being connected, go ahead and connect to your oxygen sensor #1 (or use a switch and connect to both). This way you can see the exact voltage output on the AFC (go to www.MKIV.com for details). I have the O2 sensors connected to both the AFC and an A/F gauge.

Can't wait to go for another spin today. I'll have it dyno tuned in a few weeks
Old 08-24-01, 12:46 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Question What settings?

what were the general ranges for the settings he put on? Did he post them? if he did, what's the URL?
Very generally I need to know what ranges should have what kind of settings, etc. I'll be installing it tonight.
Old 08-24-01, 08:53 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I installed the SAFC and it works, shows voltage for throttle and air pressure, but the RPM is way off.. at WOT it shows 3 grand instead of 6. the engine runs, there are no check lights or anything but I can't figure out what's up with the rpm. I have tried hooking both wires the manual said were rpm at the same time, tried it with only the #1 wire, same result. what gives?
Old 08-25-01, 12:16 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Check the number of cylinders that the car has in the S-AFC setup. If that's off, you'll get odd RPM settings. You also want to hook up just one of the RPM wires (at least I did) and I'll try to see which one I used.

SR

ugh...is it really 3am?!
Old 08-25-01, 12:28 AM
abutler696
Lead Lap

Hey, if a N/A supra can get 29 HP from this, will my SC4 get more than that? Also, do u know how or if it would effect an upgraded ECU, like one from SRT which I am planning to purchase? I don't know if this question is stupid or not, but give me a break, I'm a lexus rookie here. Thanks.
Old 08-25-01, 12:34 AM
abutler696
Lead Lap

Hey, if a N/A supra can get 29 HP from this, will my SC4 get more than that? Also, do u know how or if it would effect an upgraded ECU, like one from SRT which I am planning to purchase? I don't know if this question is stupid or not, but give me a break, I'm a lexus rookie here. Thanks.

Oh yeah, and why does suprastore.com say that the HP gain is only 5-7?
Old 08-25-01, 04:43 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Default You bet your *** it's 3 AM...

More like 4:30 AM now.. but the Apexi went in well after a couple leg-numbing hours of wire splicing with a soldering iron and a razor blade.

I set it to 4 cylinder and it reflected the motor RPM perfectly... go figure. I'll call Apexi on Monday but I sure don't see anything wrong with it.

Although I still don't know how much correction to use, I've played with the hi-throttle settings and discovered that the unit really does help. Aside from looking damn cool (the little display is awesome cuz ppl see me tweaking it at stoplights n **** ) when the engine gets into the power band where I have it jacked up to 6-7% it makes it through the gears notably faster.

Half throttle on these cars is way before the kickdown switch, so I only use a throttle correction on the high level. What really pissed me off was when I'd put it to the kickdown switch (before it goes down that extra inch) the car would just kind of grumble, and it makes a real effort to get out of the gear now.

Now that this is an official "Max Rant Thread" I'll be chattering on and on about all the little things I learn from this, which will most likely be posted tomorrow evening.
Old 08-25-01, 06:14 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Cool madness max

Hiya Max, Ok did you try setting to 6 cylinder, with the arrow pointing up and to the right? I hooked it up exactly as shown in the apexi us wiring pdf file, with the additional blue wire being connected to the O2 1 sensor. I can send the lexus wiring diagram if needed.

Also, it is very important to have the two ground wires hooked up as they state, with one closer than the other.

It really does help, doesn't it!!!
Old 08-25-01, 10:16 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking MAD MAX!!!

It seems you are enjoying it so far!!! Hey continue to post your results and the settings used for us. Are you going to get it dynoed or g-teched the 1/4 mile times? I can wait for the results...

I'll read this thread this evening!!! Don't melt your engine now!:eek:

The Ikon
Old 08-25-01, 01:50 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I followed the instructions precisely. I tried to hook up the blue wire, but the shop manual is COMPLETELY wrong! It shows all the wire locations, but all the pin numbers are off. The harness has a set of numbers that you can follow, and compared to the book they're all backwards. I have the official 1993 Toyota SC400/300 manual too. Time to talk to the guys at the dealer again...
Old 08-25-01, 02:24 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Post hmmm

did you use the world T7-a diagram in this link? http://www.apexi-usa.com/productdocu..._safc_wire.pdf The O2 sensors are the 3rd and 4th leads from the left in the row above the ground.

No problems bro, this was for a 93 sc 300 works fine.
Old 08-25-01, 04:35 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Apparently the shop manual I have is wrong. The electric wiring diagram, which is a separate book, shows the exact locations of the wires which are right where you said, 933005spd... pins #47 and #48 I think. I used the right diagram for sure. I'm going to go ahead and put the blue wire on one of the O2 sensors (there's no real point in having the signals switched from one to the other, IMO). As for tuning, I'm still tweaking for particular rpm ranges, and with the O2 wire in place it should be at least a little easier to get it right.
Old 08-25-01, 10:44 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Post lucky 7 (percent)

I'm glad I'm getting the OZ Salina 18x9.5 (rear) wheels.. I have a new problem..
Wheelspin.
Even with an automatic and no power shifting, on a couple roads today I chirped going into second, lit em up taking off from a stoplight, etc.
What I really can see from this thing (after several hours trying WOT starts and street starts) is its ability to expand the powerband of motor. With mild leaning in the low ranges and gradual richening the car tears through the gears. -7% to +7% 1000-6000 RPM with the engine being at 0% in its most powerful part of the band w/o mod, which is around 4250 rpm. I will have the car dyno tuned anyway and post the results and final settings.
I only set high throttle though- I prefer that the low range stay stock, because I do tend to drive luxury style too

Now I question.. why didn't Toyota make the car with settings like these in the first place? I'm just mechanically/electronically inclined, I don't know anything about mixture other than to be careful. So when a guy like me can basically do this blind and teach himself how to set it up you'd think Toyota would have had a much more sophisticated mixture/timing map in the stock ECU. Maybe there was so much potential there they assumed the "target audience" for the car would lose control if they nailed the gas.

Thanks for the O2 sensor wire tip, 933005spd, it would have taken me a while to actually locate the wire. The only thing either book was right about is the colors of the two sensor wires.

Quick Reply: Prices on Apexi S-AFC??