SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Have your Headlights ever Leaked or condensed on the inside?
Yes, and its annoying replacing or trying to fix them.
72.29%
No, i guess im one of the lucky ones
27.71%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Poll on Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-06, 10:28 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 362 Likes on 231 Posts

Clean.

Reverse engineering is returning to the apes. We've made an effort on Club Lexus to go forward and fix problems, rather than create new one's. We've ALL made the effort with lot's of hard work to make the forum have proper fixes for problems.

So forgive us when we when duct tape is used on a Lexus.
Attached Thumbnails Poll on Headlights-headlight_mod_024.jpg  
Old 03-05-06, 01:32 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to be rude or anything, but i did read that DIY, and i did follow instructions, but still it leaked. I sealed the damn thing shut. Tighter than w/e you want to think of. We sealed every corner, and even the two breather holes, and yet moisture still got in. I dont know why, you'll probably tell me i didnt seal good enough, well i dont know what else to use. So if this is a temporary fix, so be it.
Old 03-05-06, 07:48 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

You probably sealed it fine. Just used the wrong silicone.
Old 03-05-06, 11:12 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

And your saying waterbased silicone will allow water to pass through? even when its fully sealed and air cant get in?
Old 03-05-06, 11:45 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

No, I said to you before elsewhere that certain silicones sweat.
Old 03-05-06, 01:00 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Well, as for how the pole is going, seems like an approximately constant 2/3s for leaking or has leaked and 1/3 for the lucky people (better knock on wood). Anyhow, you people who keep looking and not voting though, vote some more, so we can get a better figure.
Old 03-05-06, 03:55 PM
hitsolid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading every link on this subject I could find I removed a headlight, split it open via the oven method, cleaned everything and tried to seal it so that condensation was not possible. It still shows condensation after a wash or a good rain. I now intend to drill some small holes. Two suggestions to those undertaking this task:

1. Put some duct tape along the bumper where you will be sliding the headlight out when removing. It is easy to scratch the bumper when removing the headlights. You can make the tape easier to remove by sticking the tape against your tee shirt or pants a couple of time prior to applying it to the bumper.
2. Preheating oven to only 200 to 225 degrees. Lay the light on a damp towel, and leave it in there for about twenty minutes. You can test the sealant to see if it is pliable prior to removing the unit and prying it apart.

I’m also thinking of putting some type of screen or mesh over the holes to minimize the dirt that would inevitably enter through the holes. Has anyone done this? Any recommendations as to what may be the best material to use? The ideal screen would be something that allows the headlight to breath and/or drain accumulated water while keeping dirt out. I suspect any type of screen may eventually clog and would then need to be cleaned but this would be better than the constant problem of condensation that too many of us seem to suffer.
Old 03-05-06, 06:25 PM
SWSC400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hitsolid
After reading every link on this subject I could find I removed a headlight, split it open via the oven method, cleaned everything and tried to seal it so that condensation was not possible. It still shows condensation after a wash or a good rain. I now intend to drill some small holes. Two suggestions to those undertaking this task:

1. Put some duct tape along the bumper where you will be sliding the headlight out when removing. It is easy to scratch the bumper when removing the headlights. You can make the tape easier to remove by sticking the tape against your tee shirt or pants a couple of time prior to applying it to the bumper.
2. Preheating oven to only 200 to 225 degrees. Lay the light on a damp towel, and leave it in there for about twenty minutes. You can test the sealant to see if it is pliable prior to removing the unit and prying it apart.

I’m also thinking of putting some type of screen or mesh over the holes to minimize the dirt that would inevitably enter through the holes. Has anyone done this? Any recommendations as to what may be the best material to use? The ideal screen would be something that allows the headlight to breath and/or drain accumulated water while keeping dirt out. I suspect any type of screen may eventually clog and would then need to be cleaned but this would be better than the constant problem of condensation that too many of us seem to suffer.
I wouldn't really worry too much about the dirt getting in, the holes seem pretty well protected to me from the elements. Good suggestion on the tape
Old 03-05-06, 06:49 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Although O.L.T 's upon this, im happy to say the lights are still dry, and we've gone through two frost nights so far, and that would have normally condenced the inside already
Old 03-05-06, 10:05 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

My old Soarer's lights used to fog up and I hated it. My current Soarer's lights don't leak but they are in need of getting refurbished

I'll end up doing them once I can scrounge up enough money to do a proper HID retrofit
Old 03-06-06, 05:10 PM
wyaaj812
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The headlights fog up because there isn't enough airflow behind them so the ventilation holes can't flow air through them. Plus as previously mentioned there might be bugs or dirt inside the vent holes. The driver side headlight fogs up more because the battery is directly behind it. What I did was I took off the plastic/rubber S look'n vent tube off the passenger side headlight and made sure the two vent holes weren't clogged up. For the driver side, I located the vent tube on that headlight, took it off and replaced it with a hose long enough to reach just past the bottom of the car. This creates low pressure at the lower end of the hose so air travels down the hose which makes air flow through the headlight from the other vent.
Old 03-06-06, 05:13 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by wyaaj812
The headlights fog up because there isn't enough airflow behind them so the ventilation holes can't flow air through them. Plus as previously mentioned there might be bugs or dirt inside the vent holes. The driver side headlight fogs up more because the battery is directly behind it. What I did was I took off the plastic/rubber S look'n vent tube off the passenger side headlight and made sure the two vent holes weren't clogged up. For the driver side, I located the vent tube on that headlight, took it off and replaced it with a hose long enough to reach just past the bottom of the car. This creates low pressure at the lower end of the hose so air travels down the hose which makes air flow through the headlight from the other vent.
This is correct info. Makes a difference however if you have used a silicone that weeps to reseal the headlights so keep that in mind also. In that case you probably have too much moisture to help, but I have the proper silicone so I can't speak from experience.
Old 03-06-06, 06:19 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

I can add, that in Florida its pretty moist here, at least most of the year, dont get me wrong we have our dry weather, but thats rarer.
Old 03-06-06, 06:28 PM
SWSC400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=O. L. T.]I used to try and save the world, now I just don't care.

Thank you for your non-concern...let the results speak for themselves.
Old 03-06-06, 06:43 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

results for what?

Im gonna get slapped....

Quick Reply: Poll on Headlights