SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Can I tow a 1500lb trailer...once?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 07:59 PM
shocker2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can I tow a 1500lb trailer...once?

Look before you'all burn me on this one...ive searched and haven't really found what Im looking for in an answer...this weekend ill be driving from KY to Tampa, FL for spring break and on the way back I was wanting to pick up another RHD clip for my mr2...with the trailer and the 1/3 of the mr2 its around 1500lbs...i was going to buy the Dalan 2500lb hitch to do this one tow from Jarco in marietta ga to home...its about 333 miles...I was planning on stopping every hour or two for a 1/2 break for the tranny to cool down...i know the SC isn't a truck and yes I should go buy a truck but this is a one time tow for the price of gas and a 130 hitch so the price of a one time beater isn't worth it...will the tranny hold up to a one time tow (auto with 80k lexus dealer maintained) thanks in advance...
Old 03-07-06, 08:12 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty
Senior Moderator

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't mess around man.....pay to have it shipped!!!

I shipped a 9 person hot tub from my old house in Belleair Beach (tampa-ish)

It was like 450 bucks, insured. To my door in Chicago

A nine person hot tub is roughly bigger than a mr2 clip.....It might be bigger than an entire mr2
Old 03-07-06, 08:15 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty
Senior Moderator

Whats a trannie cost, plus to have someone replace it.....plus having a ugly hitch.....

Im shaking up here
Old 03-07-06, 08:18 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a simple yes or no......

Yes it will tow it.... just be careful bc the tyranny will heat up, and if your going to do it don’t let the car shift greats too much, (up shifting/downshifting) the less shifting it has to do the cooler it will stay... just get to highway speeds and keep it going.... and just for u to know.. When you shut off a car in the 1st 30 minutes the car heats up more than it would have if it were running (in particular the engine)..... Its a simple fact... soo if u want to stop to let it cool down you need to stop for at least an hour minimum.

But I still would say just ship it.

Tommy
Old 03-08-06, 01:53 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

between the cost of gas (getting about 10 MPG) renting the trailer and getting the hitch, It'll proably be less money to get it shipped.

there's a company that hands out pretty good deals on SF... I shipped an engine coast to coast for ~320 bucks this past summer.
Old 03-08-06, 06:04 AM
shocker2
Rookie

well see the gas is a sunk cost for me cause i already have to drive back from there anyways now obviously i am going to get worse gas mileage but an extra 50-75 bucks for gas is nothing and the hitch is like 150

they wont ship it freight because of the body panels getting damaged

i called the local lexus dealership and the master tech out there said it would be fine but just make sure I tow it in D and not O/D....not to go against the forum's recommendation but what exactly is making the master tech say its going to be fine and everyone else say its going to mess it up...people say its going to fry the tranny well what exactly is going to fry and if not many people have put a hitch on it where is all the experience coming from...the few that i have read that have done it say it pulls fine...

like i said previously im not trying to argue i just want more than someone just saying that its going to mess up...
Old 03-08-06, 09:27 AM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will be fine, but I still wouldnt do it. Dont forget the weight of the trailer is probably atleas a few hundred lbs and could weigh upwards of 1200, depending on the type trailer you get. Towing even 2000lbs isnt really all that hard on the car (and yes, Ive towed several cars in the past.....but the hell if Id do it with the lexus). Just rent a uhual one-way from atlanta to KY or w/e and tow it with their truck. Also jarco will freight clips, they simply guarantee that all the body panels will be trash by the time you get it.
Old 03-08-06, 10:14 AM
shocker2
Rookie

one way uhaul is $316...yea i know i just need the body panels...actually jarco just said the clip weighs about 500lbs and the trailer weighs 800lbs so....little less than expected but I believe I have it worked out with a buddy to take his truck and pick it up...so everyone can rest easy that a lexus wasn't defaced by adding a hitch...
Old 03-08-06, 10:23 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty
Senior Moderator

Get a uhaul one way from FL to KY....

Everyone moves TO Florida. It will be no prob getting a one-way truck out of FL

Who cares if he's a Master Lexus Mechanic. My local Lexus dealership has nothing but guys who used to work at the local jiffy lube. Anyone can take a class, and become something better.
(Doctors who are at the very bottom of their class in Med school...are still called Doctor.)

Use common sense, A. Its not a truck. B. Its expensive to fix.C. The Master Mechanic @ Lexus will be more than happy to replace your tranny or rear suspension. Even if he said to do it. He'll then tell you when you got back, that the car is not a truck, and your on your own.

I had 5 cases of beer, a bunch of wine and soda in my trunk and the rear was sitting lower than normal.....wonder what it will look like with a trailer and 1200, to 1500lbs on it.
Old 03-08-06, 11:50 AM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neuro4you@
Who cares if he's a Master Lexus Mechanic. My local Lexus dealership has nothing but guys who used to work at the local jiffy lube.

I had 5 cases of beer, a bunch of wine and soda in my trunk and the rear was sitting lower than normal.....wonder what it will look like with a trailer and 1200, to 1500lbs on it.

Use to work at the local jiffy lube 30 years ago. Your truck would probably be sitting higher with a trailer then with all that crap in the back. The trailer supports 90% of the weight and the tongue weight is probably less then 100lbs.
Old 03-08-06, 12:35 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 95 Integra
Use to work at the local jiffy lube 30 years ago

ahhh......Jiffy Lube was started in 1979....I own stock in Pennzoil.

Sorry to all the Jiffy Lube employee's and their families for my evil, demeaning comments relating them to a lower class of intelligence. I vow to never correlate a Jiffy Lube or Lexus mechanic to that of an Amoeba!!!

I do not own a truck....not sure about tongue weight physics....I do know that I laugh when I see someone pulling a trailer with a Lincoln Mark VIII, or a Ford Thunder bird, or a Lexus SC!!!

Lets not fight and quibble.....I'm going out to get a hitch on my car today, then I'm going to tow my boat.....cause on paper....it can do it!!!!