SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Buyer's remorse on '96 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-06, 11:01 PM
93 LS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexluv300
No man I didn't buy this as a project car. I bought this car in early 2000 in SO FL (maintained at local stealership)--6 yrs ago! I paid 10k from an estate sale and it had 155k miles but the rich guy that owned it was in traveling sales and most of the miles were "highway miles". The car was checked and everything checked out "A OK" The majority of stuff I had fixed just occurred within the last 2 years---I was just like you SS3 and only replaced brakes, alt, battery,and reg fluid changes and BRAGGED JUST LIKE YOU telling everybody how reliable the "LEXUS QUALITY" is the "BOOM!!!!!" --Stranded in Orlando due to failed alt ---I will never forget my ex fiancee at the wheel while I was pushing this big biztch up a hill in Orlando and people yelling out the window "LEXUS QUALITY HA HA!!!" The next incident happened when the pulley went bad and the car overheated in front of a bar on a major street in front of some hot chick laughing at me and my broke car. Incident #3 = Ex fiancee can't open the door from the outside and I open it from the inside --she tries to get out and "boom!!" door is possesed and will not let her out --she climbs over me to get out in front of a couple of bickheads who chant 'LEXUS QUALITY HA HA !!!" Incident #4 Alt dies again and me and my new babe are stranded in F**ng Timbuktoo--Figured out leaking ps pump causing alt to crack up--had both replaced ----I can go on and on and on ----so far since I had all mentioned above replaced I'm good for the last 3 Mos (knock on wood) Oh and I forgot I have 220,000 miles now---Sp far so good --rides beautiful now Hope it will stay reliable cause I have to driver her to Colorado Springs this spring. Believe it or not I drove her from Colorado to Ohio straight through 22 hrs with stopping only for gas and to **** (Brought cooler for food)--the car steering rack was busted and serious freeplay in steering wheel and the alt light lit up every 5 mins GOD was with me on that trip LOL --that was 2 yrs ago
I agree... Any used car will need somthing, maybe yours was not well taken care of... I don't know, but I've owned 5 Lexus cars and have only had one problem with one. I had a 1994 GS 300 that began to sputter at 100k.... It turned out to be the plugs, that's it and the dealer changed them for next to nothing...

Keep the car, You don't see them that often any more...
Old 03-11-06, 08:56 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool .

Learn to turn a wrench and change oil. Alternators, radiators, brakes, suspention, that's all kid's stuff. No way i'd throw away a butt load of cash to have someone else do. Engine swap on a modded engine with electronics, thats something else. Still doable but who has the time? But if you do it yourself and use salvage parts for some things it wount cost you squat to maintain. It's a toyota folks.
Old 03-11-06, 09:39 AM
exarus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexluv300
No man I didn't buy this as a project car. I bought this car in early 2000 in SO FL (maintained at local stealership)--6 yrs ago! I paid 10k from an estate sale and it had 155k miles but the rich guy that owned it was in traveling sales and most of the miles were "highway miles". The car was checked and everything checked out "A OK" The majority of stuff I had fixed just occurred within the last 2 years---I was just like you SS3 and only replaced brakes, alt, battery,and reg fluid changes and BRAGGED JUST LIKE YOU telling everybody how reliable the "LEXUS QUALITY" is the "BOOM!!!!!" --Stranded in Orlando due to failed alt ---I will never forget my ex fiancee at the wheel while I was pushing this big biztch up a hill in Orlando and people yelling out the window "LEXUS QUALITY HA HA!!!" The next incident happened when the pulley went bad and the car overheated in front of a bar on a major street in front of some hot chick laughing at me and my broke car. Incident #3 = Ex fiancee can't open the door from the outside and I open it from the inside --she tries to get out and "boom!!" door is possesed and will not let her out --she climbs over me to get out in front of a couple of bickheads who chant 'LEXUS QUALITY HA HA !!!" Incident #4 Alt dies again and me and my new babe are stranded in F**ng Timbuktoo--Figured out leaking ps pump causing alt to crack up--had both replaced ----I can go on and on and on ----so far since I had all mentioned above replaced I'm good for the last 3 Mos (knock on wood) Oh and I forgot I have 220,000 miles now---Sp far so good --rides beautiful now Hope it will stay reliable cause I have to driver her to Colorado Springs this spring. Believe it or not I drove her from Colorado to Ohio straight through 22 hrs with stopping only for gas and to **** (Brought cooler for food)--the car steering rack was busted and serious freeplay in steering wheel and the alt light lit up every 5 mins GOD was with me on that trip LOL --that was 2 yrs ago
I live in Co Springs, and I've never seen another SC300 on the streets here.
Old 03-11-06, 09:49 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Default .

Woa! Relax bro. There’s some stuff you can buy used and it will be just fine. Like a drive shaft, fenders, radiator, or control arms, ecu or control modules. Stuff without too many moving parts. Would you want to buy a alternator, ac compressor, probably not. But the car is so easy to work on and there’s lots of room to work in the engine bay. The thing seems to have been built with easy service in mind. You don’t even need a tool to replace the serpentine belt. You just pull it off and put it back on. Like I said, it's a Toyota bro. The Japs know how to make a car. And yes you can easily get a good reaming on the labor. Plus you know exactly what is needed and if the work was truly necessary. The dealer is good for paying to troubleshoot something you can’t figure out. That's pretty much it. This car is not expensive to maintain. Try an Audi, Porsche, or BMW. The Germs build a good car too no doubt but you try to maintain one of those and see what costs you more. Don't get defensive.

Now all the BMW owners will chime in, watch.

Last edited by lfrers; 03-11-06 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-11-06, 12:13 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

i didn't mean to make it sound like you bought the car knowing the problems, i meant it just kinda worked out like that for you
Old 03-11-06, 12:27 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Maybe you should sell it and go with a SC300... Maybe you got unlucky and got a lemon... DOn't give up... There's some nice SC's in the classifieds for sale as we speak... Good Luck..

T
Old 03-11-06, 02:56 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Isn't there like a lemon law? Shouldn't have had that much problems so soon
Old 03-11-06, 05:52 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

sounds like the car was thrashed, probably wrecked / repaired, and poorly maintained,... and you bought someone's good lookin' trash. I've had my SC400 for almost 5 yrs and haven't had a single mechanical failure to date, and that's having bought it at 48K and now having 202K,.... brakes, shox & springs to drop, tune ups at 100K, a replacing a PS pump that my mechanic killed have been the only things spent into this car. I can't see gettin' rid of it for it's reliability.
Old 03-11-06, 06:08 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Mine fared very well even though I have shelled out plenty of coins for preventive maintenance. The car did failed on me on two occasions. First one was a bad alternator and luckily it made to my driveway. Second one was a bad ignition relay and we ended up spending the night at the peak of the mountains freezing our asses off. The 70 mile two bill costed us 300 dollars. Im hesitant about taking it really far. Other than that, its is running like a champ.

With the amount of money you guys spent on maintaining it, ur better off swapping the motor
I known a couple of people who owned these cars since it was new and they took it to the dealer since day one. Their maintenance cost is quite staggering and theyre pretty happy about it.
Old 03-11-06, 06:20 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Personally I think you are just paying way too dang much for parts.
Old 03-11-06, 11:24 PM
SCSpeed
Rookie

CIP,
If you're looking for an affordable car (timewise & moneywise) to do maintenance, the Lexus SC is not for you. Its engine & tranny will last many other cars, but other component might not last that long such as suspension bushings, power steering pump & hoses, gauge needles, door hinge, cracked door's inside panel, ECU that controls A/C, cloudy headlights. Those repairs will cost a lot of money if you take your SC to the dealer. At least private shops with high quality will give you cheaper repair costs. For example, if you take your SC to a Lex dealer for timing belt replacement, it'll cost you around $750 while it'll cost around $200 at private shops. One thing to mention is the Lex dealer where you bought it from really ripped you of on the radiator and brakes. Actually, you can use good aftermarket parts to replace those things; they're alot cheaper and give similar result, depending on how much you pay. If you can, buy a SC repair manual and do the minor work yourself. You'll save more money than you could imagine. Good luck!
Old 03-12-06, 12:02 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

3. Front lower LCA's $1,500(bushing wear out but it is best to replace it with oem lca's for a better ride) ??????

For example, with some research you can save some money. For example, I spent 430 bucks TOTAL for two control arms from the Supra TT, which are identical to the SC. I spent like 250 for labor + alignment.
Old 03-12-06, 10:11 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Default .

I pulled both my LCAs by myself in two hours and was taking my time. Had new bushing pressed in. BTW yes it is true. The aftermarket bushings suck. Bumpy ride. Definately not Lexus. I dont know if anyone out there has found bushings that are as good as the originals. The originals fail for a reason. They are soft. Thus the smooth ride. Anyway You can still save a lot on labor by doing it yourself. If you can get good parts.
Old 03-12-06, 01:52 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Here is my list of failures over five years of owning a 1994 5sp w/97k miles bought from a dealer in 2001, having just come off the Lexus Certified Program @ 70k miles in 2001:

1). Starter in 2002, (had the common courtesy to make it know in my garage). Cost $220, parts and labor). As it turns out, I could have repaired it easily, but that was my pre-CL days and did not know about the common fix.

End of list.

Maintenance items-front brakes, did myself, $30 turn rotors, $75 Hawk pads. All fluids changed on oem schedule.

Just before my swap this year, I'd say it would need some oil seals refreshed because there was some minor evidence of rear seepage.

Last edited by SCoupe; 03-12-06 at 08:57 PM. Reason: miles at purchase 70k, not 80k per init post
Old 03-12-06, 04:30 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Hey lov, get your head out of your ***, you'd don't know the life my SC lives, mileage is not the only measure of use, so don't post up queen crap about my ride and its too bad your ride been a lemon, but all I was saying is that there are some of us with a different experience and abilities to do things ourselves.

This is no "garage queen". While you were driving the wheels off your SC to freaking Burger King (just kidding ), my SC was seeing hard track time on road courses in Nor Cal courtesy of NASA (http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html). It has seen its redline and rev limiter tested, had its share of missed shifts, forced overrevs as yours truly figured out what it was like to be a total rookie chasing M3's, Evo's and Porches on a race track. 125mph+ speeds on straights, then it was driven home when others went back on trailers, not all af them still running. Its been driven home metal-on-metal front brakes. Then it functioned as a daily driver on Monday and did so for three years. Yeah, it just was laid up for near a year for swap and now has the heart and soul of Supra TT bpu+++.

I am more than capable of lower control arms, it is incomprehesible to me to spend $1,500 on them, Supra LCA's are practically given away and new bushings are not expensive. I never intend for the SC to see the inside of the Lexus service bay and routinely buy parts online from Carson Toyota instead of the local Lexus dealer and put them on myself, like a number of other CL members. Its great to have both the time and the apptitude to do so. And no, I would not recommend this car to anyone who then expected to take it to a dealer for every loose nut.

Quick Reply: Buyer's remorse on '96 SC400