Buyer's remorse on '96 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-06, 09:06 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cip
looking for feedback to what I'm about to vent:

Bought my '96 SC4 w/ 91K miles from a Lexus dealer for $12K 12/05 b/c they did f/r brakes, trans, oil change, new radiator & gas caps & it looked in very good condition and had all previous work done @ the dealer.

Within 1 month /1,000 miles the front right caliper started binding. So I took it to my local brake guy & shelled out $650 for replacing both front calipers (I couldn't get it to the dealer in the condition it was in), front rotors, & pads (I get a lifetime warr on that stuff so that's why I went to him.) In good faith the Lexus dealer sent me a $200 check for my troubles. I called Lexus Customer Service & they sent me $100 service credit, which I used to have the car thoroughly looked over by the dealer. They said the clunking I'm hearing on letting off/on the gas ~ 25 - 30 MPH is the driveshaft ($985 to replace that (I have not replaced that)) but otherwise the car is very clean & in great shape.

One week after that I see smoke coming from the engine compartment & see & smell it's antifreeze (it's the top seam of the radiator issue). So that was $605 to replace. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
So now I'm wondering do I spend $1900 to get a 3yr/36K mi warranty or just cut my losses & sell it for hopefully $11K?

Now, I'm not looking for the comments that say keep it & do the work yourself, I need a dependable car & can only afford (timewise & moneywise) to do maintenance when I schedule it.

Thoughts please. Thanks
Sell it and buy new. This tells me right here that perhaps a used car is not for you?
Perhaps youre more of a be in montly debt type of person? Maybe you should consider leasing a new lexus if you insist with going with lexus.

You over paid for your radiator, you overpaid for your calipers and you will overpay for the driveshaft.

You could of went to Radiatorbarn.com and have bought a radiator exactly to oem spec and capacity and spent 127.00 including shipping.

Since you have no time to do the repairs yourself, maybe you should just spend the money in a new car knowing the repairs are already pre paid for for a limited amount of time.

Me myself..

My car has been in an accident thats the only thing I had someone else repair. But other things went wrong as a consequence.

So far in 3 years of owning it I have...

Replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, timing belt, steering rack bushings, with utherane ones, the intake plenum, replaced the entire egr, system, then finally just removed it. Radiator. And im sure im forgeting more stuff. Oh yea.. edit forgot to add the brakes and tires.

Im positive if I were a dummy and had the labor done for me I would of spent over 10,000 rather then a small fraction of that.

My car runs awesome right now though.

Last edited by Inabj2; 03-12-06 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-12-06, 09:47 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default On topic: Buy the warranty

cip, in your case it sounds like you'd be way better off "spending $1900 to get a 3yr/36K mi warranty" than to see what comes next. You bought it for $12k and only hope to get $11k (maybe). That's 1g of the 1900 right there, the next thing that goes wrong in the next three years pays for the warranty particularly if LexLuv list of things start going you're going to luv having that warranty.
Old 03-12-06, 09:51 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The supra control arms are good. I would love to believe that they are beefier than the Lexus but accord to Todd at TM Engineering, he said that they are the same.
Old 03-12-06, 10:24 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

I live in an apartment and I have a one car garage and its pretty difficult to do any major work in there. I do have a nice belt-driven air compressor and tool chest in there. However, it is too stuffy and to cramp to do anything comfortably. I dont even bother changing my oil anymore for the sake of saving couple dollars

On the other hand, some of the guys are blessed with a 3 car garage that has an air conditioner and nice tile. They can prolly sit in that garage all day workin on the car listenin to music with the AC on.

Originally Posted by lexluv300
U ever thought the guy may be living in an apartment? You can't exactly jack your car up and replace a fuel filter, timing belt etc in the parking lot . Back in the day when I was poor and lived in an apartment I couldn't even wash that somabiztch with a sponge and bucket of water in the parking lot. U guyz act like you are the shizt b/c you can change your oil ---I bet you can;t even pull the toilet paper out of your **** ya snot nosed buzzard (j/k)
Old 03-12-06, 10:37 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xknowonex
I live in an apartment and I have a one car garage and its pretty difficult to do any major work in there. I do have a nice belt-driven air compressor and tool chest in there. However, it is too stuffy and to cramp to do anything comfortably. I dont even bother changing my oil anymore for the sake of saving couple dollars

On the other hand, some of the guys are blessed with a 3 car garage that has an air conditioner and nice tile. They can prolly sit in that garage all day workin on the car listenin to music with the AC on.

I worked on my car outside while it was 110 degrees at .... 3 in the morning!
Old 03-12-06, 11:28 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexluv300

I bet you can;t even pull the toilet paper out of your **** ya snot nosed buzzard (j/k)

...incable of comprehending what is being said

Many mechanics are incapable...on a SC

Because you are cheap or just stupid??
Tell us you write for Jay Leno or something
Old 03-13-06, 12:42 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Btw

VREDNIYKOT is giving away a drive shaft if you still need one. Don't know if the year is compatable with yours.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205796
Old 03-16-06, 07:31 AM
cip
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SCoupe
cip, in your case it sounds like you'd be way better off "spending $1900 to get a 3yr/36K mi warranty" than to see what comes next. You bought it for $12k and only hope to get $11k (maybe). That's 1g of the 1900 right there, the next thing that goes wrong in the next three years pays for the warranty particularly if LexLuv list of things start going you're going to luv having that warranty.
OK, this one sold me. I now have a warranty 'till 3/09 or 131,000 miles. Thnaks to all for your time & suggestions on this one. Now I just need to buy some Zaino to bring the Platinum shine back
Old 03-17-06, 01:44 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Shady Dealer...

Dude, it sounds like you might have been dealing with a shady dealership. It’s rather unusual for a new radiator to have problems like that under normal driving conditions. Same thing with the brakes. Its seems ironic that those are two things that they "say" they replaced before selling. I hate to hear about the problems that you are having. Some cars are just lemons no matter the make or model.

It might be kind of hard to sell that car. Most banks will not finance anything more than 10 years old. That is pretty close to the 10 year mark and they really like short terms on older cars. But that all depends on the lender and credit score. My point is you would have a harder time selling because you are not the Lexus dealership. If you want to get rid of the car you need to wholesale it out. Kinda crappy to ask good money for a car that has been nothing but problems for you. At least it would weigh on my mind.
Old 08-25-06, 07:26 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

lexuses are for two kind of peoples 1.rich 2.do it yourself .if you dont fit in any of the above catogories get another car .they are costly with repairs,and if you can fix it yourself get some ky jelly when going to mechanics .im a honda guy now i own a sc3 and sc4 and do everything myself ,except for alingments
Old 08-25-06, 08:53 AM
Lexcis
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexusboy94
lexuses are for two kind of peoples 1.rich 2.do it yourself .if you dont fit in any of the above catogories get another car .they are costly with repairs,and if you can fix it yourself get some ky jelly when going to mechanics .im a honda guy now i own a sc3 and sc4 and do everything myself ,except for alingments
I think you meant Audi for that statement.

Lexus to me seems to be the car for people who want luxury, yet DONT want the repair costs like Audi, BMW etc.

Coming from an audi, I can tell you lexus repair costs are minimum if you find a good local shop.

Has anyone gone thru $10,000+ in repair bills on the SC in the last two years? My Audi has and its less than 6 years old... Thats exactly why I'm buying a Lexus. I'm sorry but 1-2k to get your 12+ year old car running in top shape doesn't sound out of line to me. Only thing that seems shady is the lexus dealer who sold it to you.
Old 08-25-06, 10:12 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck with whatever you choose to do with that car. As for that driveshaft, its sitting in my garage now, with all his other stuff .
Old 08-25-06, 10:45 AM
Shrummi
Lead Lap

i've had my 14 year old lexus with 205,000miles for 6 years now. I had a couple little problems at first but i haven't spent more than 2k and it runs like a dream. That's with racing it on friday's at the stadium.
Old 08-25-06, 11:30 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Good luck with whatever you choose to do with that car.
He said what he decided to do about 5 posts ago...

Originally Posted by cip
OK, this one sold me. I now have a warranty 'till 3/09 or 131,000 miles.
Lexus is great, nothing else needs to be said folks.
Old 08-25-06, 11:33 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry musta missed that...

Quick Reply: Buyer's remorse on '96 SC400