Buyer's remorse on '96 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-06, 09:18 AM
cip
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyer's remorse on '96 SC400

looking for feedback to what I'm about to vent:

Bought my '96 SC4 w/ 91K miles from a Lexus dealer for $12K 12/05 b/c they did f/r brakes, trans, oil change, new radiator & gas caps & it looked in very good condition and had all previous work done @ the dealer.

Within 1 month /1,000 miles the front right caliper started binding. So I took it to my local brake guy & shelled out $650 for replacing both front calipers (I couldn't get it to the dealer in the condition it was in), front rotors, & pads (I get a lifetime warr on that stuff so that's why I went to him.) In good faith the Lexus dealer sent me a $200 check for my troubles. I called Lexus Customer Service & they sent me $100 service credit, which I used to have the car thoroughly looked over by the dealer. They said the clunking I'm hearing on letting off/on the gas ~ 25 - 30 MPH is the driveshaft ($985 to replace that (I have not replaced that)) but otherwise the car is very clean & in great shape.

One week after that I see smoke coming from the engine compartment & see & smell it's antifreeze (it's the top seam of the radiator issue). So that was $605 to replace. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
So now I'm wondering do I spend $1900 to get a 3yr/36K mi warranty or just cut my losses & sell it for hopefully $11K?

Now, I'm not looking for the comments that say keep it & do the work yourself, I need a dependable car & can only afford (timewise & moneywise) to do maintenance when I schedule it.

Thoughts please. Thanks

Last edited by cip; 03-16-06 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-10-06, 10:23 AM
Hawkman
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think this is karma for totalling two Lexus models before this one.

Seriously, sorry to hear of your problems. Sucks to have gone through a thorough inspection and now it's giving you fits. I'd be pissed at the place you had do the inspection. Unless, that is, you've been ******* it and asking for trouble.
Old 03-10-06, 11:09 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys.... I feel sorry for you....

My 92sc300 runs like a top...
In 3 years
- 2 sets of brake pads $65
- 1 batery $85 diehard
- alternator (Thanks GAzi) $150 including install locally....
- trunk shocks (Thanks Gazi $45 did it myself..

My only outstanding issue is the $3.48 plastic clip for the passenger door handle (non open from the outside).. will change this spring .....
The bushings could be changed but no biggie......

Funny because I was half hearted selling my car.. I am glad I held on to her
Old 03-10-06, 11:17 AM
cip
Pole Position

thanks guys. I do love the SC's too and this forum. That's why when the opp. came to get another one, I went for it. But you speak the truth... Lexus or not I still have a 10 yr old car that sold for $52K & it will need more $$ than I'm willing to "invest". I'll have to try to sell it. But if I can't get close to $11K then I'l probably buy the warranty & keep it for a couple years.

Thanks again,
Craig
Old 03-10-06, 11:28 AM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

well you also have to look at the age and miles of the car when taking into account repairs. Lexluv300, seems you got a bit of a project car and others have had no problems with their SC's so it's really a gamble. *knock on wood*

The reason i got the SC was so i didn't have to make outrageous repairs, unlike the bmw i was looking at.
Old 03-10-06, 12:02 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Sell it or be prepared for more problems then you can imagine.....atleast thats what Ive found so far from "lexus quality". Im not impressed to say the least.....for such well built cars, they sure do go to crap rather quickly.
Old 03-10-06, 12:08 PM
prjctSC300
Lead Lap

it all depnds on the previous owners of how well they kept in maintained. but, again it is a car and they do have problems. buy a honda civic for a problem free car. all you need to do is change the oil and pump gas, LOL..
Old 03-10-06, 12:11 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Interesting how the guys at Lexus had taken a look at your front brakes before selling it to you and then when you drove it for 1k miles you had front brake problems. That will lead me to strongly believe it was the guys at the dealers' faulty work. If you had a warranty on it you should have taken it back to them for that problem and not have to pay a cent. As far as maintanance and problems go for the SC, you will encounter one every now and then. If it is well taken care of then hopefully you wont encounter all of the problems at the same time. You might want to get that extended warranty and keep the SC if you want.
Old 03-10-06, 12:14 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

sounds like your getting majorly ripped off with cost of parts and labor. Its an old car, and a lexus. Do the work yourself or else youll get bent over, without lube. I coulda done everything listed for under $500 total.
Old 03-10-06, 12:15 PM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Default My Experience

I expected to spend some money on my SC400 when I bought it. So far, over a year, I have spent around $4000.00. (Not all at once) For me it has been worth it. My car should last for years now and I do love driving it. Even though I have 147000 miles on this car, it looks and drives like one that has 30 - 40 thousand miles. B-T-W, That price includes a brand new, two-toned, leather interior. (Tuscony leather)
Attached Thumbnails Buyer's remorse on '96 SC400-sc400rightfront1.jpg  
Old 03-10-06, 12:19 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Since i bought my first SC300, i have around 3500 in it after the cost of the car. That included 1JZ motor swap, rims, suspension, and a body kit that i don't have installed yet (version:select). The car is in perfect running condition, gets driven 80mi a day.
Attached Thumbnails Buyer's remorse on '96 SC400-scrims1.jpg  
Old 03-10-06, 01:15 PM
cip
Pole Position

Thanks again for all the feedback. When I bought my 1st SC in '94 it was Lexus Certified & it only had 28K mi on it...of course back then I paid ~$30K for it.....and didn't really pay that much attention to what was being fixed since it didn't cost anything...plus back then I was only 24 so wasn't too concerned w/ going in debt to a car

But thanks all for your advice & experiences, this was exactly what I was looking for..

I'm going to try to sell it....but I have to tell you guys the funny thing is I bought my ES w/ 104K mi on it, bought the warranty & 2 things went wrong in 40,000 miles before someone hit us in a Tahoe. Then my dad & his wife gave us their '93 Chrysler New Yorker w/ 147K on it & I drove that for over 35,000 miles only replacing the brakes, battery, & starter!!! Then gave it back to them when I got my '96SC...so moral of my story is I should have kept the Chrysler

Oh well, hope everyone here has the time/money to care well for your SC's I still do love it...
Old 03-10-06, 02:15 PM
kratos
Pole Position

Honestly I wouldn't have bought my '95 SC400 if my father-in-law wasn't a mechanic. Of course it helps that I have good hook-ups in the auto industry as well so parts are reasonable. I would strongly suggest you drop a few close friends and hang out at the local Lexus service department. Don't forget to bring the beer and some tickets to the game.
Old 03-10-06, 02:35 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
As far as maintanance and problems go for the SC, you will encounter one every now and then.

Its more like a monthly expense now. My check engine light pops on once and month and I insert the $100 bill into the slot under the dash and it goes away for another month.
Old 03-10-06, 08:29 PM
Lbocpe
Driver School Candidate

i've had my sc for 5 yrs i did the 120k at the dealer,brakes,rotors,oil changes,and a pulley i haven't spent 2500 yet. this is the best they have no problems!!!!!!!!!!!the sc is my 10th car i have driven every domestic & i'm driving a legend sedan #14 already at 2k invested (bhg) "i luv da legend" my point its the luck of the draw . many blessings 2 u i kow about acura now (i'll alwayz LOVE da cpe more!!!!!!!!!!)

Quick Reply: Buyer's remorse on '96 SC400