SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Tore apart my 97 tail lights today.. modified them a bit- pics inside :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-06, 08:07 PM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rodvtan
I need to replace the bulb for my left brake light. How do I remove the tail light ? Thanks.
Four 10mm bolts for each tail light.

Hey, at least he searched, right?

Update- there were a few strong rainy days here, and everything seems to be sealed fine. So far, so good- the lights look great.

By the way, 3 pairs of LED's arrived already, I'm just waiting on the 2 smaller pairs. Once those arrive, I'll install all 5 pairs of LED bulbs, and pics will come shortly.

-Allen
Old 03-27-06, 07:53 PM
rodvtan
Driver School Candidate

I've already figured it out but thanks anyway. I did search and I didn't find any specific info. What I don't understand is the hesitation I sensed from Iron Cobra. A one-line info just like what you wrote would have been sufficient.
Old 03-28-06, 11:29 AM
posterboi
Driver

awesome mod!!!!
Old 03-28-06, 06:07 PM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rodvtan
I've already figured it out but thanks anyway. I did search and I didn't find any specific info. What I don't understand is the hesitation I sensed from Iron Cobra. A one-line info just like what you wrote would have been sufficient.
You could have easily sent me a Private Message, and I'd give you a quick, simple response. I didn't wana get off topic, and your question was already answered. No need to repeat it, right?

posterboi- thanks for the compliment

-Allen
Old 03-28-06, 06:13 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

nice, i have my lights apart at the moment, and im doing an LED panel conversion instead of bulbs.

if your dropping in LED bulbs right into the socket, your going to need load resistors. your turn signals will blink fast and your brake lamp indicator will come on.
Old 03-29-06, 08:33 AM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jtucci
nice, i have my lights apart at the moment, and im doing an LED panel conversion instead of bulbs.

if your dropping in LED bulbs right into the socket, your going to need load resistors. your turn signals will blink fast and your brake lamp indicator will come on.
Yea.. I realized that last night I went ahead and ordered some load resistors from EBAY. I know those things get really hot... so where would be a good place to mount them? Thanks,

-Allen
Old 03-29-06, 09:00 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice flat steel surface on the rear of the trunk under the lights. Firmly attach them to maximize heat transfer to the body and to keep them away from the inner trunk lining.

I'd recommend these for the turn signals only as the duty cycles are much less than brake light usage, especially for autos. That translates to much less heat you're pumping into the trunk.

LED conversions on the brake lights only require you to toss the little "light out" indicator in the cluster. Easy as pie.
Old 04-02-06, 05:42 PM
aftv
Driver School Candidate

Smile Lens Painter

If you want to find the Paint to color the Red and Smoke the backup light go to K2motor.com on the left side of page look under Accessories and click on LENS Painter..hope this helps guys..good luck
Old 04-03-06, 06:26 AM
aftv
Driver School Candidate

Smile

You can also get Testors # 1605 Transparent Candy Apple Red spray paint from your local Hobby Store or Tower Hobbies..I think they also have a Transparent Smoke color too..but not sure about that one. Good Luck
Old 04-03-06, 02:00 PM
Lars619
Rookie

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info on the paint... now I may have to do this myself
Old 04-03-06, 04:14 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

That's funny... I've been planning the EXACT same mod since I bought my car almost a year ago, and I've always wondered why nobody else did it. Props to you... looks great, and makes me positive that's what I want to do to mine now
Old 10-31-06, 08:54 PM
stokdd
Driver

Originally Posted by CleanSC
Yep, that was me. About a year ago I did the all-red mod as the orange sucks, and went full LED conversion as well. I never bothered with the reverse lights as they never really bothered me but yours look damn hot. Nice touch on that one.

FINALLY some more inventors on the board.

Keep 'em coming, great work!

Bro, wtf is up with your 3rd brake light?
Old 10-31-06, 10:43 PM
SCrazy
Rookie

the best taillight work done. i am curious about how you made the orange part red, is there a specific spray, or plastic sticker to put over it? and how did you take it apart, and manage to put it together again without it falling apart on you? never done this before. so very curious ^^
Old 11-01-06, 05:07 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by stokdd
Bro, wtf is up with your 3rd brake light?
It's big and high.

the best taillight work done. i am curious about how you made the orange part red, is there a specific spray, or plastic sticker to put over it? and how did you take it apart, and manage to put it together again without it falling apart on you? never done this before. so very curious ^^
Orange part was tinted red with red tint spray. Light was taken apart using the shake 'n bake method. Just heat and pull apart. It's a painstaking process and you have to approach it like a surgeon or you WILL be buying yourself a new light.

Old 11-01-06, 10:05 AM
T78sc300
Driver School Candidate

CleanSC, Did you use LEDS for your turn indicators also or just a bulb?

Quick Reply: Tore apart my 97 tail lights today.. modified them a bit- pics inside :)