SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Clayed the car....Clean!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-06, 12:26 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats. Claying your car for the first time is really cool.

However, once you clay the car, you could (should) do a proper polish to prep the paint as claybars don't affect the appearance unless the car is white and dark. Also, wax and/or seal the paint as clay will partially remove what was already on the car.

Get some sun shots up! I wanna see that black!
Old 03-14-06, 03:46 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

However, once you clay the car, you could (should) do a proper polish to prep the paint as claybars don't affect the appearance unless the car is white and dark. Also, wax and/or seal the paint as clay will partially remove what was already on the car.
Oh yea, this I know
Did a three coat wax after the claying....used the mothers carnuba, then Eagle One Wet polish/wax...then Meguire's Final Cut....

Going to wash it this weekend and add one more coat.....should be good for awhile.
Old 03-14-06, 04:38 PM
Hai_Nguyen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks awesome!!
i have the mothers claybar kit at home, just been waiting for a nice warm day to use it.
neuro4you@, is the 4oz carnauba wax in the mothers kit enough for the entire car? and what did you use to apply it, just regular terry cloths, mircrofiber, those little round applicators?
i'm really **** about being perfect with everything, and i dont wanna leave any marks behind. did you wipe it off after each "section" or each patch that you did?
Old 03-14-06, 05:19 PM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

I've heard about this.....but never really looked into it.

Car looks really clean.!!!!
Old 03-14-06, 07:10 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Default Neuro's Quick, Claybar Clinic!!!

did you wipe it off after each "section" or each patch that you did?
Basically it goes like this.....this is a three hour deal also

Wash the car with some "whatever brand" car wash soap, but add a few drops of dish detergent.
(the dish soap will get a lot of old wax and junk off.
Rinse well, hell over-rinse the car. Dry with a chamois and a towel.

Get the clay-bar out...knead the hell out of it, roll it into a ball and then flatten it into a disc between your hands.

Use the "Showtime" spray-wax / lube, or "Final Cut" and spray the section your going to work on.
Use a lot of spray, then take the clay bar and try to stay in a straight line....run the clay disc in one direction, then back over the same line you just ran in.....You feel the bar "catching" on the paint....Its actually picking up the dirt and junk in the paint. Keep going back and forth in that spot, till the clay slides smoothly. Then move on to the next spot.

When the area is done being clayed, take a soft towel and buff the area....(you'll buff up some junk with the towel too).

Then move on to the next area.

When the whole car is done. Get out the wax, you can use the carnauba that the kit comes with or something better like Zymole, or whatever!!! Wax the car well. Take your time with the waxing cause this is the first wax layer on somewhat bare paint...when you get that layer on, do another or some polish....

That's what I did.....now I've gotta get the paint less dent guy out here and get some spots done....Gonna start parking sideways now!!!

Hope the info helps
Old 03-14-06, 07:13 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 286 Likes on 211 Posts

IT is also a good idea to give the car a quick wash after you clay, with your regular car wash formula shampoo. This will ensure that all the crap that the claybar loosened up but left behind is gone (can be done as a substitute to when you buffed immediately after claying),
Old 03-14-06, 07:30 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neuro4you@
Basically it goes like this.....this is a three hour deal also

Wash the car with some "whatever brand" car wash soap, but add a few drops of dish detergent.
(the dish soap will get a lot of old wax and junk off.
Rinse well, hell over-rinse the car. Dry with a chamois and a towel.

Get the clay-bar out...knead the hell out of it, roll it into a ball and then flatten it into a disc between your hands.

Use the "Showtime" spray-wax / lube, or "Final Cut" and spray the section your going to work on.
Use a lot of spray, then take the clay bar and try to stay in a straight line....run the clay disc in one direction, then back over the same line you just ran in.....You feel the bar "catching" on the paint....Its actually picking up the dirt and junk in the paint. Keep going back and forth in that spot, till the clay slides smoothly. Then move on to the next spot.

When the area is done being clayed, take a soft towel and buff the area....(you'll buff up some junk with the towel too).

Then move on to the next area.

When the whole car is done. Get out the wax, you can use the carnauba that the kit comes with or something better like Zymole, or whatever!!! Wax the car well. Take your time with the waxing cause this is the first wax layer on somewhat bare paint...when you get that layer on, do another or some polish....

That's what I did.....now I've gotta get the paint less dent guy out here and get some spots done....Gonna start parking sideways now!!!

Hope the info helps
Very nice little write up

He's right, the first time you clay your car, you'll take forever trying to be as careful as you can. After washing, I think I spent about an hour or so thoroughly claying my car for the first time. Now that I'm much more familiar with it, I can have the whole car clayed in about 20 minutes. I've even gotten good enough to use only water as a lubricant.

The dish soap won't help you anymore. Using dish soap is a bad habit to get into to wash your car, and the clay will abrade away a majority of whatever wax you have on there anyway. If not, the polish, or cleaner wax if you're cheap , will do that. Besides, most cars have dead wax on them anyway.

Other than that, it's pretty simple. Remember, if you drop the clay on the ground, it's done. Toss it. I suggest taking the hunk of clay and ripping it into 2 pieces. Each half will be more than enough to clay efficiently and if you do drop one, you have a back up. Store your clay in a baggie.

Anyone else interested in detailing should check out the detailing forum here or http://autopia.org.
Old 03-21-07, 04:18 PM
Autopia
Driver School Candidate

Anyone else interested in detailing should check out the detailing forum here or http://autopia.org.

Thank you for offering a fellow member detailing advice and for recommending Autopia Car Care as a source for great detailing supplies. We are available as a resource to your community to answer any questions you may have in regards to proper car care.

I would like to recommend our How-to Detailing Library. Currently we have more than 20 information packed articles on everything from polishing with a polisher to fixing scratched rims. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Again thank you for the recognition!
The Autopia Car Care Team
Old 03-21-07, 06:47 PM
HELLAFLUSH
Lead Lap

Nice! Now its my turn to clay my car. Im just to lazy!
Old 03-21-07, 06:48 PM
mrhappi
Lead Lap

Nice job! Black is the worst to try and keep clean.
Old 03-21-07, 08:11 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by onebadshot
that is beautiful, I really hope I can find a black 300.
Hey, GOT ANT PICKS OF YOUR AMX?! Thanks
Old 03-21-07, 08:24 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very nice very nice
Old 03-22-07, 02:29 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha i got excited when i first discovered 'claybaring' I got the Mothers Kit, and my car felt like glass! BTW Pro detailers charge $100+ for this job.
Old 03-22-07, 05:20 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

I forgot about this post.

I think this year I'm just going to pay Steve (cHiTwNGS43) to do mine.
Hes a freaking detail guru!!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=270289
Old 03-22-07, 05:31 PM
onejayzee
Rookie

damn nice job. where'd u get the clay from i wanna try this weekend.

Quick Reply: Clayed the car....Clean!!!