SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

3rd brake light

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-06, 04:42 PM
Hai_Nguyen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd brake light

quick question, are there 3 bulbs in the third brake light or just 2?
i keep getting that damn icon on my dash that says i have a taillight out, and I'm positive none of them are out, unless its that 3rd brake light.
Old 03-14-06, 05:07 PM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

there is only 2
Old 03-14-06, 05:44 PM
Hai_Nguyen
Pole Position

i'm really pissed off with that damn icon now. lol
i'm positive i have no lights out, so what else could it be?
Old 03-14-06, 06:09 PM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

i used the "Magic Button" with keywords - * taillight failure sensor * and came upon this
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154993
Old 03-14-06, 07:18 PM
Hai_Nguyen
Pole Position

hehe, thanks sorry. i feel dumb now. damn idiot at the parts store said "they're exactly the same as the rest". i wonder if they'll give me back my $2 worth of bulbs. haha
Old 03-14-06, 08:26 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked your LED brake light on your spoiler? Also the brake light located on top of the subwoofer if you have it?
Old 03-14-06, 09:48 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hain
quick question, are there 3 bulbs in the third brake light or just 2?
There are only 2..
Old 03-14-06, 09:55 PM
eriC_Lex
Driver School Candidate

heyys i have sorta the same problem..never really payed attention to my 3rd brake lights untill i read this thread. Can anyone help me..ahh i chek'd my trunk and i chek'd my spoiler there's 2 wires thats hanging nd its a green and white...doesnt even look like it was installed...the wires were just tied in a knot and left there...can anyone helpl me install that? pictures would be GREAT , thanxs alots!!
Old 03-15-06, 11:23 AM
cip
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eriC_Lex
heyys i have sorta the same problem..never really payed attention to my 3rd brake lights untill i read this thread. Can anyone help me..ahh i chek'd my trunk and i chek'd my spoiler there's 2 wires thats hanging nd its a green and white...doesnt even look like it was installed...the wires were just tied in a knot and left there...can anyone helpl me install that? pictures would be GREAT , thanxs alots!!
Does it look like this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=10

From what I understand the wire eventually breaks with the opening closing of the trunk...but I have yet to find the other end to tap back into the harness.
Old 03-15-06, 11:29 AM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Its not because of your spoiler lights I disconnected myn and I have no problems, check all your tail lights including the 3rd brake light.
Old 03-15-06, 11:41 AM
eriC_Lex
Driver School Candidate

yes it does, but it looks cleaner..like it looks brand new nobody even touched it...like u see in the photo ..the wires look'd like it was cut already...mine doesnt look like that..look'd like somone bought a tail but never really got to installing it..
Old 03-15-06, 12:44 PM
SickSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

i had the same problem. there are 2 relay box next to the antenna that controls the brake lights. one of yours might be bad and need to be replace. i replace mine and its fine i dont get that "light failur" in the dash anymore.
Old 03-15-06, 01:36 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cip
Does it look like this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=10

From what I understand the wire eventually breaks with the opening closing of the trunk...but I have yet to find the other end to tap back into the harness.
Did you ever find the other end to this cut wire? My LED brake light has been also out since I first bought the car but thought nothing of it. Mine just has a red and white wire running down the same location as yours with a zip tie around the trunk support.
Old 03-15-06, 06:55 PM
Hai_Nguyen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
Have you checked your LED brake light on your spoiler? Also the brake light located on top of the subwoofer if you have it?
i dont have a spoiler. lol. i need one though. i'm planning on the one w/o the light.
and the thread vredniykot showed me was right, i'm using 194 bulbs and should be using 192's instead.. i guess i'll just wait till these burn out and then just replace them with the right bulbs. no use replacing them again. i just hate seeing that icon on my dash.
Old 03-15-06, 07:44 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

After reading this thread I decided that I might as well take care of my light indicator on my dash that has been on since I bought the car. I popped the trunk open and removed the carpet lining in behind the gas tank and then I had just realized I had made a little discovery. My wires coming from the LED trunk light and the rear window brake light were also chopped. It looks just like Cip's picture..

On mine I had a wrapped up bundle of wire coming out of the area where Arrows A are. My LED brake light wires look exactly like Arrow B. Now at this point Im just wondering why anyone would do something like this. My interior brake and LED brake lights were not working because of this little problem. Now here is what I am also wondering. The two wires that came out of area A and B were both White and Green. I connected them together along with the wires from the interior brake light and they still didnt work when I had the brake pedal pushed in. I then connected them together again but this time without the interior brake light. Still not working. I searched and found a couple threads that talk about wiring up the green and white wires from the spoiler to the interior brake light. But that didnt work. Now Im wondering, where am I supposed to hook up the interior and LED brake lights? Where do the wires for those two run through?

Quick Reply: 3rd brake light