SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

finally got a couple quick picks ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-06 | 02:11 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

It looks better than half the cars on this site.

I don't like chrome dubs, but it is not my car. Car is clean.
Old 03-20-06 | 03:18 PM
dubstar
Pole Position

well, the wheels were on the car when i bought it, i really like them, but as of a few days ago they are for sale. im going to go with a set of 18's (not sure yet) or possibly just some chrome TT wheels. the sooner the car is paid ...the sooner the TT is under the hood
Old 03-20-06 | 05:42 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

not a BIG fan of chrome wheels like that, but oh well, what better combo than black on chrome?> anyways what exhaust, looks good
Old 03-21-06 | 02:46 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Also, the car is more luxury than sport IMO so why not "bling" it out?
Yeah, because super low-profile tires on huge wheels offer only the most luxurious ride quality
Old 03-21-06 | 03:15 PM
LadySoarer
Driver

Car is VERY clean, but.....I'm sorry the wheels have to go...
Old 03-21-06 | 04:04 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Yeah, because super low-profile tires on huge wheels offer only the most luxurious ride quality
Well I dont know about you, but I've seen more MBZ, Lexus, 5&7 Series Bimmers with 20"+ , "spinners," etc. than I have lets say...An NSX, Corvette, 350Z, or any "sports car" for that matter...Sorry, but personally I see "bling" more suitable/perferrable for "luxury" vehicles opposed to "sports" cars. If it looks nice and is relatively unfuctional (serving littler purpose), than it must just be a "luxury."

As I said before, Im not a fan of "bling" so Im not defending the car in regards to that; however, I am a fan of clean, and that is a clean car.

Last edited by 92 SC400; 03-21-06 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-21-06 | 06:59 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Well I dont know about you, but I've seen more MBZ, Lexus, 5&7 Series Bimmers with 20"+ , "spinners," etc. than I have lets say...An NSX, Corvette, 350Z, or any "sports car" for that matter...Sorry, but personally I see "bling" more suitable/perferrable for "luxury" vehicles opposed to "sports" cars. If it looks nice and is relatively unfuctional (serving littler purpose), than it must just be a "luxury."

As I said before, Im not a fan of "bling" so Im not defending the car in regards to that; however, I am a fan of clean, and that is a clean car.
You see that on big expensive luxury cars because that's what the mindless [insert stereotype here] fad followers do when they see that **** on the latest music video or MTV Cribs.

Bling isn't luxury. It's fad/style.
Old 03-21-06 | 11:26 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
You see that on big expensive luxury cars because that's what the mindless [insert stereotype here] fad followers do when they see that **** on the latest music video or MTV Cribs.

Bling isn't luxury. It's fad/style.
If bling isn't luxury then I don't know what is. I apologize for my ignorace. Something unnecessary to me seems to be a luxury. When you can drive a Bimmer (and many other automakers) off the lot, which is consider to be a luxury car, with 20" factory rims for a couple extra bucks I don't see how it's a fad. Style yes, fad no. Car themselves have changed in such a way that they really accomodate the big wheels and over the year stock sizes have increased. I'm sure when chrome rims first came out everyone that was a fad too yet we still see that and no signs of it dying off. I think the same goes for the "bling" wheels. This is clearly a subjective matter anyway, what is bling to some is not to others. Bling = Expensive/gawdy/flashy (so to speak) = Unnecessary = Luxury. Of course that too is a misconception I guess as their are folks out there rockin' $800 20" ADR Bling wheels bumpin LiL Troy's "Wannabe a Baller," while hollarin' at hos. Then there are people's grandparents driving Bimmers on blinged out $5000 20s listening to Sinatra or Kenny G or Tony Bennett on their Harmon-Kardon system.

You somewhat missed the point in the original post which was inresponse to someone else's comment. However, in all honesty, this is all way off topic and we're essentially beating a dead horse. You say bling isn't luxury, I say it is. I'll agree to meet you in the middle and say we're both right and wrong...Or just right?
Old 03-21-06 | 11:49 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

If bling isn't luxury then I don't know what is. I apologize for my ignorace. Something unnecessary to me seems to be a luxury. When you can drive a Bimmer (and many other automakers) off the lot, which is consider to be a luxury car, with 20" factory rims for a couple extra bucks I don't see how it's a fad. Style yes, fad no. Car themselves have changed in such a way that they really accomo
blah blah blah you're wrong
MongooseGA is right

Realistically, the only factory 20"s come on large sedans, no sport coupes or GT glass cars.

Anytihng chrome and 20"s is overkill, both in performance, traction, tire selection, ride handling, and warping. Now if they werent labeled as DUB's, his handle wasnt "dubstar", and his wheels werent chrome, I would totally have responded with a different answer.

But unfortunately, they were. So I responded with my opinon on them.
Old 03-22-06 | 01:58 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
MongooseGA is right

Realistically, the only factory 20"s come on large sedans, no sport coupes or GT glass cars.

Anytihng chrome and 20"s is overkill, both in performance, traction, tire selection, ride handling, and warping. Now if they werent labeled as DUB's, his handle wasnt "dubstar", and his wheels werent chrome, I would totally have responded with a different answer.

Let me ask you something then. What is the difference with dubstar having 20s and Din having what look to be 20s? Your comments in his thread seem to be quite different than here. Is it because he isn't a newb and/or his car is heavily modified?
Old 03-22-06 | 03:50 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

MongooseGA is right

I totally disagree. The BMW 645 has a 19" package. I am sure they will offer a 20" package on the M6. I cram to understand how most of you SC300 owners brought cars that had 16" wheels and immediately upgrade to a larger size rim, have a problem with dubs. 20" inch rims are highly functional just ask the people at Volk. With the limited production of 19' tires some are left with little choice. I think some of you are partial if the rims are chrome. I have considered 20's (20x9.5 Volk Racing GT-Force 5x112/114.3) which I know are quality rims. Chrome dubs or any other rims are just another of form of expression. This is a we world not a me world.... its time for some of you to get in it.
Old 03-22-06 | 06:09 AM
CoffeeX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dubstar
another ...
wow dude that is exhaust is huge!!! what kind of exhaust is that
Old 03-22-06 | 06:15 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

So basically you are saying that 20 inch CHROME rims are bad for performance, traction, tire selection, ride handling, and warping....but 20 inch rims in a DIFFERENT FINISH wouldn't have the same effects on performance, traction, tire selection, ride handling, and warping? I fail to see how the wheel finish has any effect on this...maybe I am misreading your post?
Old 03-22-06 | 06:22 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Very nice very nice
Old 03-22-06 | 08:50 AM
dubstar
Pole Position

wow ...whos to say that you cant have the best of both ...luxury and sports? they are just wheels ...and damn if they dont look good on the car. thats all that matters. not what size they are. come on guys