SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My drag and daily SC's

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-06, 06:27 PM
WebStarr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCSpeed
If he drives around with the chute, he'll get pulled over immediately by cops. As a result, trouble with "fix tickets" will surely drain the wallet and time. It's a big deal.
He lives in KY so I doubt that fix it tickets are a big issue for him. While cruising down the street with the chute may be pushing it, cops in places other than Cali usually won't pull a "modified" car over unless something looks very wrong.
Old 03-24-06, 06:51 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I go to school in Lexington, and I can tell you the last thing on cops minds is pulling over cars for illegal modifications such as tint, and things like that. The probably don't even know what the tickets are for these items.

They might add on "fix-it" tickets if you already get pulled over, but I can't imagine it would be for many other things except headlights, windshields or a really obnoxious muffler (as in no muffler).
Old 03-27-06, 03:13 AM
SCSpeed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WebStarr
He lives in KY so I doubt that fix it tickets are a big issue for him. While cruising down the street with the chute may be pushing it, cops in places other than Cali usually won't pull a "modified" car over unless something looks very wrong.
Folks,
It's not gonna be a regular "fix ticket" like you think. Come on, think about it this way. Unless the cop that sees the chute is very dumb or knows nothing about cars, he'll know exactly what the chute is for. It's definitely for crazy hi-speed racing. Normal race cars don't even need chute. And for racing, what that cop will think of is a modified engine. And when the engine is popped up, guess what: A big monster turbo sitting right there. In case like many other cases, if the cop doesn't know about turbo/engine, he still would issue a ticket so this lovely owner will have to take his SC to a smog station for a "Check-Out". After that "Check-Out", everything will need to be taken apart and put back with original parts. That costs a lot of $$$ and hurts like hell.

It's not just in California, heavily modified cars are illegal in most states. They're ok for off-road, however. In easy states, you might get away with an exhaust or intake system, but not a whole turbo system. Especially when a chute itself is a safety issue. Who knows it'll pop out and blind the drivers behind. Last but not least, cops don't want to see anything funny or irregular on the cars. And the chute looks very wrong for a street car.

P.S: I love this SC with all the turbo system no matter what. Myself is also looking for a turbo system on my SC400. But when it comes to hassles and troubles, it's best to prevent them. It won't be cool when dealing with money loss and troubles.
Old 03-27-06, 05:46 AM
turbo6
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not in California, modifications do not matter here. As long as you are under the speed limit and have insurance+registration, you are good to go.

TMaxxTim, I think I see you from time to time like yesterday on Clays Mill and last week on Wellington?