SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What Rear Spoiler Is This?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-06, 01:15 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

It's always the ricers who use large amount of power to justify ugly wings like the one on the black Soarer.

You don't need a spoiler if you have alot of power. It's not like some secret sort of mod that you're only allowed to do once you reach a certain mark in modification. Despite having over a grand at the wheels, alot of Supra owners choose to run wingless. You don't need something like that to keep the car planted.
Old 03-24-06, 04:14 PM
matttai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is owned by Karl Hardy of http://importacar.com.au/

It makes 428.8kW at the wheels and is running a 1.5JZ TT. It lives here in Aus.

Check here for more pics and info -
http://www.planetsoarer.com/thrustma...rustmaster.htm
Old 03-24-06, 04:35 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thhe red SC is one of a kind and it makes tons of power! I read it long time ago.

The black is rice because the fake hood vent and spoiler....but the vertex kit is nice!

Now is my car rice?
Attached Thumbnails What Rear Spoiler Is This?-sc3-2-.jpg  
Old 03-24-06, 05:14 PM
sprucegoos
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blacksc400
thhe red SC is one of a kind and it makes tons of power! I read it long time ago.

The black is rice because the fake hood vent and spoiler....but the vertex kit is nice!

Now is my car rice?
Since you asked for an opinion of your car---- yes it is "rice". I have to say the color is nice, I will give you that but those wheels (hammers) went out of style back in the mid eighties when they sported your wheels in a smaller size with a wide offset on nissan maximas. The wing is too extreme and it does not "flow" with the lines of the SC as the oem wings do. If I had your car I would scrap the wing and replace with a oem wing , sell the 80's Hammer wheels to some chicanos on Crenshaw and put on some 19" Lowenharts shoes on. Just my $0.02 bud.
Old 03-24-06, 05:45 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
It's always the ricers who use large amount of power to justify ugly wings like the one on the black Soarer.

You don't need a spoiler if you have alot of power. It's not like some secret sort of mod that you're only allowed to do once you reach a certain mark in modification. Despite having over a grand at the wheels, alot of Supra owners choose to run wingless. You don't need something like that to keep the car planted.
say what? You should really study on aerodynamics to understand why there are spoilers/wings on cars.

The supras that run wingless and have large amounts of power are usually drag racers. If you go to a roadcourse, autox, and circuit tracks you will see that every car there has a wing or spoiler. Its for rear end stability during cornering and in high speeds.

The only reason its considered a tacky mod is because tons of cars that dont have the power to utlize the aerodynamics decided to just add it for looks.

Now if you put a wing on YOUR car, then it yes. you will be a show/no go car. Maybe you're just bitter and jealous?
Old 03-24-06, 05:59 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Point of this thread is that the main red spoiler is ricey, tacky, and should not belong on any car...ever.

Anybody who thinks otherwise is a hardcore ricer, just didn't realize it yet.
Old 03-24-06, 06:35 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
say what? You should really study on aerodynamics to understand why there are spoilers/wings on cars.

The supras that run wingless and have large amounts of power are usually drag racers. If you go to a roadcourse, autox, and circuit tracks you will see that every car there has a wing or spoiler. Its for rear end stability during cornering and in high speeds.

The only reason its considered a tacky mod is because tons of cars that dont have the power to utlize the aerodynamics decided to just add it for looks.

Now if you put a wing on YOUR car, then it yes. you will be a show/no go car. Maybe you're just bitter and jealous?
Hardly jealous. Maybe envious of the additional power, but not of the cars' appearances. I just don't like how people throw out alot of rules and make exceptions for cars with power. Really, how often will you be going fast enough to truly produce enough lift to reduce traction at the rear wheels? These cars stock are ungoverned and run 140-150 MPH very steadily.

The same goes for body kits as well, IMO. "Oh, he's running a turbo. The body kit is functional for high speeds".

Maybe if someone said "he participates in high speed run events" then it'd be more understandable. I didn't say the functional wings were rice, but I do think they're tacky and ugly. I'm sure there's a more subtle way to improve a car's dynamics than with a park bench. However, as you know, my tastes for appearances are alot more conservative than others, so it's just my opinion.
Old 03-24-06, 06:36 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by blacksc400

Now is my car rice?
Sorry, but I would say so...
Old 03-24-06, 07:03 PM
WebStarr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sprucegoos
Since you asked for an opinion of your car---- yes it is "rice". I have to say the color is nice, I will give you that but those wheels (hammers) went out of style back in the mid eighties when they sported your wheels in a smaller size with a wide offset on nissan maximas. The wing is too extreme and it does not "flow" with the lines of the SC as the oem wings do. If I had your car I would scrap the wing and replace with a oem wing , sell the 80's Hammer wheels to some chicanos on Crenshaw and put on some 19" Lowenharts shoes on. Just my $0.02 bud.
I don't think his wheels are out of style. They are dish wheels. They'll never go out of style completely. I think of wheels for cars like shoes for your feet. Think about it. Lots of people try to get the ultra rare old school Air Jordans and AF1's you can't find anywhere else. Some do the same with wheels. Also you recommend Lowenharts. I think you've watched one too many episodes of Unique Whips or something. They put Lowenharts on everything. While they are good wheels do you want to look like everybody else? I even see Lowenharts out here in PA. In Cali they must be a dime a dozen.
Old 03-24-06, 07:06 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by WebStarr
I don't think his wheels are out of style. They are dish wheels. They'll never go out of style completely. I think of wheels for cars like shoes for your feet. Think about it. Lots of people try to get the ultra rare old school Air Jordans and AF1's you can't find anywhere else. Some do the same with wheels. Also you recommend Lowenharts. I think you've watched one too many episodes of Unique Whips or something. They put Lowenharts on everything. While they are good wheels do you want to look like everybody else? I even see Lowenharts out here in PA. In Cali they must be a dime a dozen.
Kind of off-topic, but in my school, everyone wears old school Jordans or AF1s.
Old 03-24-06, 07:49 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MongooseGA

Maybe if someone said "he participates in high speed run events" then it'd be more understandable. I didn't say the functional wings were rice, but I do think they're tacky and ugly. I'm sure there's a more subtle way to improve a car's dynamics than with a park bench. However, as you know, my tastes for appearances are alot more conservative than others, so it's just my opinion.
The soarer with the "tacky ugly wing" roadraces all the time.

And most wings are functional at the 40+ mph mark

Goodness, can you be anymore ignorant?
Old 03-24-06, 07:52 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
The soarer with the "tacky ugly wing" roadraces all the time.

And most wings are functional at the 40+ mph mark

Goodness, can you be anymore ignorant?
Thanks for the clarification. Now I'll know.

I still don't care for the look though, but I can always appreciate/understand functionality if something truly is.
Old 03-24-06, 09:33 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Wow....all of the above wings need to be on a civic or 240.
Old 03-24-06, 10:25 PM
sprucegoos
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WebStarr
You would feel that way because you probaly can't afford Lows. Lowes will always be hot unlike AJ's and AF1's..
Old 03-25-06, 12:34 AM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a few thoughts...

1.) Properly designed and manufactured wings, aero/body kits, and difusers will increase a vehicle's performance. It's been proven time and time again that better cooling, faster lap times, etc. etc. are the results of these modifications. HP doesn't have to be a factor. If you think the parts look tacky, that's your opinion, but IMHO good form follows function.

2.) Just because something is not your style doesn't make it rice. Where's all the haterade coming from?

3.) The SSR Dishes are classic and just as good today as they ever were.

Quick Reply: What Rear Spoiler Is This?