SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I Am Pissed #2 (curbed wheel)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-06, 05:55 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing the wheels are the Maya GR5's? If they cost $4000 then I'm totally lost. They're pretty much knock offs of the Volk GT-C and even at full retail, my GT-C's wouldn't be $4000?

As far as how much you spend on wheels vs a car's value....from a financial standpoint,....Putting a $3000 set of wheels on hoopty or an enzo, you're still out the same $ for the wheels and still subject to how much the wheels are worth should you ever sell them. The car's value doesn't affect anything. Now from a WTF standpoint.....of course a broke looking 1982 nissan sentra with Kinesis wheels just isn't right. It's not just the value of the car though, it just doesn't fit. On the other hand, I have see no problem putting hi end wheels on the SC because it fits the look of the car.

Last edited by roo; 03-25-06 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-25-06, 06:04 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by roo
I'm guessing the wheels are the Maya GR5's? If they cost $4000 then I'm totally lost. They're pretty much knock offs of the Volk GT-C and even at full retail, my GT-C's wouldn't be $4000?
They weren't really 4k, I rounded up a little. They were 3600, when you include balance, mount, installation and tax, you're there.
I usually get a discount from my wheel shop folks but these weren't off the shelf, they were custom made in japan....or where ever they're made. If they had a ready made set I could have got them for a little less than 3300.
They have a very similar look as the volks but the look is more luxurious. Volks look more sporty. Volks aren't chrome either. Volks are nice, though.

Last edited by Ice350; 03-25-06 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-25-06, 06:12 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

No! Those wheels looked awesome, hopefully it's not too hard to fix.
Old 03-26-06, 08:22 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to read about what happen Reg. Are the Lips chrome or polished w/clearcoat? Either way they will have to be taken apart to be repaired unless they are polish without clearcoat but I'm pretty sure I remember them being either chrome or clearcoated polish. I know of the place where they did mines and they do nice clearcoat there but I lost the number. I could try to find out next week for you. They are in Hollywood,FL.
Old 03-26-06, 10:24 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bluelex
Sorry to read about what happen Reg. Are the Lips chrome or polished w/clearcoat? Either way they will have to be taken apart to be repaired unless they are polish without clearcoat but I'm pretty sure I remember them being either chrome or clearcoated polish. I know of the place where they did mines and they do nice clearcoat there but I lost the number. I could try to find out next week for you. They are in Hollywood,FL.
The lips are anodized....whatever that is. Can someone explain what that is. It's so weird everytime I walk toward the car my eyes go right to it. I tried polish this moring but it still looks bad. The metal is creased pretty good. I still can't belive I did this, I'm usually so careful.
Adrian, do you know the name of the shop or where it is. My usual place, Goodroads is under new ownership and things aren't like they were.

If I didn't like these wheels so much I'd buy something else.
Old 03-26-06, 10:34 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.anodizing.org/faqs.html
Old 03-26-06, 07:41 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Reggie, contact Turbax out of Miami. They have locations all over the state. They will pick up your wheel, dismantle it, repair it, polish it, and re-assemble it for about $150. They cannot anodize it, and this is not recommended once repaired, since the material used for repair is most likely not the exact same alloy, and will most likely cause the repaired area to discolor. You will need to polish that wheel with MOTHERS polish every month or two, and it will look fantastic. Good luck with your repair.

Ryan

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-27-06 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-27-06, 02:16 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts

Members,

I've cleaned up an unsightly thread that went awry with some personal commentary that was not needed. This forum is a community and we're here to help each other out.

Please keep that in mind if you continue to post in this thread to help Reggie out with his curbed wheel problem.

Back on topic please....
Old 03-27-06, 03:17 PM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, that sucks. Hopefully it's fixable.

Any pictures?
Old 03-27-06, 06:17 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by reggiek
The lips are anodized....whatever that is. Can someone explain what that is. It's so weird everytime I walk toward the car my eyes go right to it. I tried polish this moring but it still looks bad. The metal is creased pretty good. I still can't belive I did this, I'm usually so careful.
Adrian, do you know the name of the shop or where it is. My usual place, Goodroads is under new ownership and things aren't like they were.

If I didn't like these wheels so much I'd buy something else.

Sorry to hear Reg, most of us have been there before, if the repair cost goes too high look into buying a replacement for the damaged one.
Old 03-27-06, 07:45 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Thats the reason why I dont take any chances with my Work rims. When I park parallel, I usually end up being ATLEAST 3 feet away from the curb
Old 03-28-06, 05:06 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

I never said how it happened. I was in a hurry cause I had just phoned in an order of red snapper....having been dieting the last 3 months, I couldn't wait to cheat with the fried fish and fries. I decided to get some gas first and instead of waiting for a pump, I tried to beat someone to one that was on the opposite side from the tank opening on the car. I backed in hurriedly and forgot about those high curbs that surround gas tanks. When I felt it I thought just the tire hit. It was several minutes later that I noticed. I wasn't even hungry anymore. I did force down the fish but didn't enjoy it as much.
Old 03-29-06, 05:43 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Damn Reggie that's rough. I curbed my old Volk GT-P's once and it really ruins your day. I also broke a tie rod end in the process. This was on my Celica.

Anyway I took it to Turbax and I'll be DAMNED if I can even tell where the scratch was. They had to show me. Still couldn't see it. The fix was flawless.

Naturally it all depends on the contruction of the lip, etc, etc, but those people do damn fine work. Give them a call.

And don't let it beat you up too much emotionally. We're constantly paranoid about where our wheels are every second we drive. It only takes one tiny mistake to curb 'em. It's inevitable, so take it in stride.

Also, if you don't have them already, tires with built-in rim protectors actually work although they can't work miracles. Look into those if you don't already sport a set. They will save you 80% of the time.

Good luck man. Everything's gonna be allright.